Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
What up with CLE-IAH no early morning flight. I thought they were increasing flights. Looks like they are back in the schedule down the line.
It looks like the early flight is missing for October or at least much of the month. My hunch is UA's CLE schedules are driven, as much as anything else, by the need to overnight aircraft at CLE for maintenance.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
WOW is out. Last flight is next week and they will not be returning next year. Let's hope that improves the viability of the Icelandair flight when it (hopefully) returns.

https://www.cleveland.com/travel/ind..._of_cleve.html
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by OhioExile
WOW is out. Last flight is next week and they will not be returning next year. Let's hope that improves the viability of the Icelandair flight when it (hopefully) returns.

https://www.cleveland.com/travel/ind..._of_cleve.html

Well... that was fast, eh.

Judging by how many Iceland vacation pics I now see on my FB feed I would have thought loads on those flights were sky high
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:30 am
RNE

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Judging by how many Iceland vacation pics I now see on my FB feed I would have thought loads on those flights were sky high
Failure Reason No. 1 of 2: Airline marketing never "got" that the country of Iceland is not only irrelevant but a dissuading factor. The word "Iceland" should appear nowhere!

Originally Posted by OhioExile
WOW is out.
Failure Reason No. 2 of 2: NEO travelers love to squander opportunities.

RNE, reminding everyone that I flew on FI's inaugural CLE-KEF flight. I did my part. What did you do?

P.S.: Yes, I know FI isn't all the way out... yet. But if the failures don't stop, it will be.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by RNE

RNE, reminding everyone that I flew on FI's inaugural CLE-KEF flight. I did my part. What did you do?

P.S.: Yes, I know FI isn't all the way out... yet. But if the failures don't stop, it will be.
I've done my civic duty by flying FI! I tried to fly them again after Christmas, too, until they canceled by flights! I know both Icedlandic carriers are struggling right now, but I would bet that FI will be back in CLE in spring as promised. They are a long-established airline with deeper pockets and support in Iceland. Let's hope WW's failure in the market, will be beneficial for them. This also free's up marketing money to lure other carriers.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Failure Reason No. 1 of 2: Airline marketing never "got" that the country of Iceland is not only irrelevant but a dissuading factor. The word "Iceland" should appear nowhere!

Reason #1 : Iceland is way down the list of many people's vacation destinations. Not that there's no reason to go there but it's competing against the French Riviera, London, Ireland, Switzerland, Italy, and on and on.

Reason#2: Changing planes at KEF to get to Europe from CLE provides no real advantage over EWR, ORD, YYZ, IAD, BOS, JFK.

Lastly, if CLE - LHR is not compelling enough for anyone to start service, why would CLE - KEF be so attractive?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Reason #1 : Iceland is way down the list of many people's vacation destinations. Not that there's no reason to go there but it's competing against the French Riviera, London, Ireland, Switzerland, Italy, and on and on.

Reason#2: Changing planes at KEF to get to Europe from CLE provides no real advantage over EWR, ORD, YYZ, IAD, BOS, JFK.

Lastly, if CLE - LHR is not compelling enough for anyone to start service, why would CLE - KEF be so attractive?
From the reporting, loads were high/meeting expectations but failed on yield -- e.g. too many cheap tickets.

On one hand its disappointing to see them go, but I never would have flown them (or any other non-allied carrier FWIW) unless I happened to need a cheap nonstop to KEF. If I'm going international it's going to be (a) UA, if that's not possible (b) a *A carrier, and finally if that's not possible (c) an airline that maintains a sufficient number of interline agreements to assure protection if things go wings-sideways. I know that specifically UA and lesser *A have/will/can pull out all of the stops to get me where I'm going and keep me comfortable when pre-digested airline food hits the fan... WOW does not/did not instill the same level of confidence.

Incidentally, IIRC, UA has EWR-KEF so I might wind up in Iceland after all
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134
Let's hope WW's failure in the market, will be beneficial for them. This also free's up marketing money to lure other carriers.
That's a good point. But, again, they need to stop touting Iceland. It's like if UA bought billboards on I-90 saying "Fly to beautiful Newark, NJ!" Cuckoo.

Iceland is way down the list of many people's vacation destinations. Not that there's no reason to go there but it's competing against the French Riviera, London, Ireland, Switzerland, Italy, and on and on.
^

UA's CLE-LON service was great. (Did that in 2005 when TSMRSRNE was not MRSRNE yet.) But onward travel from LGW was highly problematic. Whereas, CLE-KEF is attractive because of its easy connection airport and single-ticket/same-airline onward travel to umpteen EU destinations. We'll be on FI again in 2019 (if it's still serving CLE. Big if.)

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
If I'm going international it's going to be (a) UA, if that's not possible (b) a *A carrier...
Agreed. Highly-loyal alliance fliers wouldn't be these airlines' target customers.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by RNE

UA's CLE-LON service was great. (Did that in 2005 when TSMRSRNE was not MRSRNE yet.) But onward travel from LGW was highly problematic. Whereas, CLE-KEF is attractive because of its easy connection airport and single-ticket/same-airline onward travel to umpteen EU destinations. We'll be on FI again in 2019 (if it's still serving CLE. Big if.)

CO's service to Gatwick was good for those wanting to get to London but not a whole lot else. I guess they felt it was an additional possible way to get people there instead of just through EWR. IIRC, when CO was allowed access to LHR, they used all of their available slots for EWR and IAH flights. Made sense at the time.

If CLE gets more Europe service some day, I think it will be either AA or BA to LHR. London has to be the biggest single destination and obviously there are OW connections available to every city in Europe and beyond. That said, I don't think it happens anytime soon. AA is a very domestic focused airline so I don't see them jumping in. Heck, they seem to be withdrawing from Asia as quickly as possible which is odd for the world's largest carrier. Does BA really need or want another outpost in N. America that isn't a OW stronghold?
RNE likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
If CLE gets more Europe service some day, I think it will be either AA or BA to LHR. London has to be the biggest single destination and obviously there are OW connections available to every city in Europe and beyond. That said, I don't think it happens anytime soon. AA is a very domestic focused airline so I don't see them jumping in. Heck, they seem to be withdrawing from Asia as quickly as possible which is odd for the world's largest carrier. Does BA really need or want another outpost in N. America that isn't a OW stronghold?
As much as I hate DL I wouldn't put a CDG or AMS flight past them... they already have some oddball routes (like CDG-RDU which a coworker's (CLE-based) parents wound up on earlier this week)
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
As much as I hate DL I wouldn't put a CDG or AMS flight past them... they already have some oddball routes (like CDG-RDU which a coworker's (CLE-based) parents wound up on earlier this week)
I thought about Delta but they just pulled out of PIT-CDG. If PIT-CDG became unattractive (and DL operated that flight for years) then it's hard to see how they would be enamored with starting a flight from CLE.

OTOH, BA is coming to PIT next year but with AA still stronger at PIT compared to CLE, I can see how BA decided to pick them.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:33 am
RNE

I opine that CLE-EU service will be provided by an EU airline or none at all. No US carrier will do it.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:08 pm

Icelandair delays return to CLE from March to May! That sucks.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...urn_to_cl.html
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:08 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134
Icelandair delays return to CLE from March to May! That sucks.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...urn_to_cl.html
Better than announcing they're not coming back at all. And May is when FI started last year. Why does any of this suck?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
About Iceland not being attractive. Iceland is becoming a huge destination. (Maybe not for Clevelanders.) It doesn't have a large enough tourist infrastructure to support the tourists it's getting. I was booked on the first Iceland Air flight (had to cancel because my son broke his ankle and I had to be chief caregiver) but I was looking for hotels for May in fall of last year and there were some that were already booked up. But I think it's a end of the list item for lots of people. I'm disappointed that Iceland air is not scheduling flights until May. I was hoping to catch a flight for aurora watching in March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.