Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Interestingly the flight is being sold on ua.com as a 737-800 (!) but shows the 767 seatmap -- though there's something suspicious about it parking all the way over on A... are none of UA's gates or the ostensibly common use gates on C wide body capable?

Something's funny with the seat map vs. availability: Seat map on booking shows 0 F seats, and only a handful of Y seats available, while flifo seatmap shows 3 F open. Expert mode is showing 7F and great availability in all Economy fare classes (F7 A7 JN7 C7 D7 Z7 ZN7 P7 PN7 R7 RN7 IN7 I7 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9) -- if I wasn't heading to Reno tomorrow [with a leg on a 788] I'd probably try to get myself on it.
According to another board, they are carrying disabled veterans to an event in MCO.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:08 am
RNE

Icelandair could have a more significant impact on CLE if someone would break the news to its CEO, Birkir Hólm Guðnason, that hardly anybody wants to go to Iceland verses the dozens of destinations FI connects to in Europe! Maybe then he'd tell his ad team to promote that fact.

RNE, saying Not even a mention of connections! Sheesh!

Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RNE
Icelandair could have a more significant impact on CLE if someone would break the news to its CEO, Birkir Hólm Guðnason, that hardly anybody wants to go to Iceland verses the dozens of destinations FI connects to in Europe! Maybe then he'd tell his ad team to promote that fact.

Going to a wedding tomorrow. The newlyweds are honeymooning in Iceland.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Going to a wedding tomorrow. The newlyweds are honeymooning in Iceland.
Then there's still time for them to book a connecting flight elsewhere!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RNE

I feel like this is trolling..

But as somebody who has been to Iceland 3 times (and never taken a connection on FI) it's amazing place, the reason FI has grown so much is partly due to their tourism office promoting the country.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:03 am
RNE

Originally Posted by nevansm
I feel like this is trolling. But as somebody who has been to Iceland 3 times (and never taken a connection on FI) it's amazing place, the reason FI has grown so much is partly due to their tourism office promoting the country.
No, you don't feel that way. You know everyone's entitled to express their opinions of any destination. Enough said.

KEF is a convenient gateway to many other places. That, in my opinion, magnifies FI's impact on CLE, the topic to this thread. Whereas a debate about Iceland itself is not, which is why I won't engage in that with you.

RNE, rhetorically asking if United is trolling New Jersey when it touts EWR as a gateway to other destinations?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, rhetorically asking if United is trolling New Jersey when it touts EWR as a gateway to other destinations?
That's how I felt about the City of Cleveland with the inane "Going Places" campaign for CLE "Going somewhere exciting? So are we. CLE Going Places." (so Cleveland isn't exciting?) "Going somewhere interesting? So are we. CLE Going Places." (so Cleveland isn't interesting?), etc., etc.

Lincoln
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:00 am

I just noticed that UA has a dedicated customer service desk at what was gate C28. Is this relatively new? The UA gate areas at CLE actually looked pretty good, especially in comparison with the dump that is IAD and even ORD, which is looking kind of worn out.
RNE likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by guy44134

I just noticed that UA has a dedicated customer service desk at what was gate C28. Is this relatively new? The UA gate areas at CLE actually looked pretty good, especially in comparison with the dump that is IAD and even ORD, which is looking kind of worn out.
It has been there in a couple forms since the gate areas were spruced up/redeveloped around a year ago or slightly more -- in its original incarnation the back wall had the standard gate back wall (with the large-screen monitor built in but displaying "Customer Service" rather than flight info) and a single gate podium position -- sometime after that it gained the second podium position and the back wall pictured above. Staffing is somewhat sporadic.

Agree that CLE's gate areas look nicer after the refurb -- still a bit dark given the relative lack of lighting but much better/more practical given current airline operations than the previous configuration (and the one still in place at the majority of ORD mainline gates --makes me feel like the process has evolved since the '60s but the physical configuration hasn't)

Incidentally, Jon G the CLE metro GM and a great guy is going (or maybe has already gone) to ATW at EWR. Seems that he was both well liked by everyone at CLE and made a positive impact on the operation of the station...Hoping it's kept up for CLE by his successor and that he can make a similar impact on EWR's ops.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA
Anyone know why a UA 767-400 arrived this AM from EWR and alighted at D14 (UA #2568) and then returned to EWR in the afternoon from gate D2 (UA #2535)? Is CLE doing maintenance for the larger Boeing jets now? I know there’s a big 737 maintanence operation at CLE.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Anyone know why a UA 767-400 arrived this AM from EWR and alighted at D14 (UA #2568) and then returned to EWR in the afternoon from gate D2 (UA #2535)? Is CLE doing maintenance for the larger Boeing jets now? I know there’s a big 737 maintanence operation at CLE.
Based on the tour we got of CLE MX I don't think they're expected/really prepared for wide body maintenance -- and it doesn't make any sense for it to have parked at D at all if it were a maintenance ferry. I suppose its possible if EWR MX was really backlogged and the bird needed something "simple" to get it back into revenue service -- though my suspicion would be sports charter or the like (but not being a sportsball person I have not the faintest idea what it might be.

What's interesting is if in UA.com you try the "where's this aircraft coming from" on the inbound there is no info at all for the for the flight -- no airport, no gate, no times.

Even more oddly, flight aware is showing the outbound flight as arriving at EWR gate "V" (flight aware shows the aircraft started in POB (Pope Aaf? - Fayetteville NC -- doesn't make sense) at 10:31 PM last night, landed in EWR, then did the CLE turn.

Military charter for some reason maybe?

Or maybe its to ferry the CLE Metro GM who got promoted to ATW at EWR to his new gig

[Seriously, though, leaving big shoes to fill -- I've never heard a workforce love their boss more/have more positive things/be so sad to see him go -- definitely had a positive impact on CLE ops and morale while he was here]
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA
Well... to answer my own query...perhaps it was the Cleveland Browns charter
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by RNE

Guess Icelandair must have listened to you.

Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:39 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134

Guess Icelandair must have listened to you.

All who are wise do.

RNE, applauding FI.

P.S. Now, just change the airline name from Icelandair to something more general... something that bespeaks travel between continents... something like, oh, I don't know... Continental Airlines.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100

Well... to answer my own query...perhaps it was the Cleveland Browns charter
I believe you are correct. Seems that UA has sports charters in the 2500 series.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...800Z/KCLE/KEWR

Interesting that the first intersection in the flight plan is FAILS.
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.