Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by RobS
SwiftAir. They do Caribbean charters. They have been subbing wide bodies for their usual 734s since mid-May.
They are actually subs for UPS aircraft operated by an outfit called Western Global Airlines (Western Global Airlines - Cargo - Worldwide Charter). They operate on the SDF-CLE-SDF route.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...941Z/KSDF/KCLE

Swift Air is operating charters for Apple Vacations and subbing 767-200's (there were two at CLE yesterday evening from MBJ and PUJ, along with FI arrival from KEF--customs was sure busy!) and a 767-300 in modified Eastern Airlines livery.

Xyzzy and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AA US
Wow! I hadn't seen that version of Eastern's livery before. Nice looking.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
757 taking off at BKL?

zipping past BKL today saw a united airbus taxiing. Checked flightaware to see where it was going (ORD) and then noticed a delta 757 had left BKL-MSP. (Assuming Twins Charter) that would have been cool to see take off on the 6,198ft runway (cooler to be on)
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:05 pm
glg

Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
zipping past BKL today saw a united airbus taxiing. Checked flightaware to see where it was going (ORD) and then noticed a delta 757 had left BKL-MSP. (Assuming Twins Charter) that would have been cool to see take off on the 6,198ft runway (cooler to be on)
I'm guessing the UA was the White Sox who play the Indians starting tomorrow. The plane went ORD-MDW-BKL-ORD. (MDW is much closer to Sox Park than ORD)
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
I came in from IAD yesterday (Saturday) afternoon and saw the widget on the ramp at BKL from above when we were on final for CLE -- didn't realize it was a 75 (had assumed it was a 739) but in any event it definitely stood out amongst a bunch of Censsnas and the ilk. Was fun to see it from above, but agree would have been more fun to see it on the move. I assume it was a pretty light load so it would have been the "rocket-like" takeoff that I used to enjoy so much taking a 752 out of SNA
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Saw this guy out on the tarmac last month.

Huge Ukrainian aircraft makes its way to Cleveland Hopkins Inter - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
UA 2116

UA 2116 CLE-ORD looks like it took off and came back in for some type of maintenance issue. I discovered this looking at Flight Aware showed 2116 as a arrival from CLE.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
UA 2116 CLE-ORD looks like it took off and came back in for some type of maintenance issue. I discovered this looking at Flight Aware showed 2116 as a arrival from CLE.
That was the case with a lot of aircraft on June 28th and 29th due to the huge weather delays in the North East that screwed up so many flights and resulted in many being severely delayed or canceled.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA
Looks like UA expanding service and bringing back RSW/FLL seasonal flights. United Expands CLE Service
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Looks like UA expanding service and bringing back RSW/FLL seasonal flights. United Expands CLE Service
"United Airlines has been a great partner to our airport," said airport director Robert Kennedy.

the best partner.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by moops380
"United Airlines has been a great partner to our airport," said airport director Robert Kennedy.

the best partner.
Maybe so but not the partner they could be today, IMHO. Yes, I understand CLE was no longer needed as a major hub in the combined UA/CO system. And I also understand that while they were certainly making good money on O/D traffic, they might have been losing money on connecting traffic (as I believe Smisek once claimed).

United's approach to CLE shows how they were more poorly run than Delta. With UA, everything seems to be all or nothing with the holy grail being the transportation of passengers around the globe where Southwest, Frontier, and Spirit can't bother them. Everything else is in a far second, third, or fourth place. By contrast, Delta tried to take a sensible approach in cities where they had some market power. LaGuardia is not a hub per se but they are trying to capitalize with a strong presence there piggybacked on their strong presence at JFK. They didn't abandon Cincinnati, either.

United could have looked at where they can make good money through CLE and right-size their operations for that. The development of 70-75 seat aircraft only would have helped. They didn't need to keep service to places like Montreal, Knoxville, and Albany but keeping service to places like Kansas City and Atlanta would have made a lot of sense. With the right size A/C, it can't cost them any more to connect a passenger going from, say BOS to MCI, through CLE as it does through ORD or IAD. There's real O/D traffic on those routes, too, that they've allowed to slowly bleed away to their competition.
RNE and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Jul 17, 2018 at 6:16 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JimInOhio;29981225
By contrast, Delta tried to take a sensible approach in cities where they had some market power. LaGuardia is not a hub per se but they are trying to capitalize with a strong presence their piggybacked on their strong presence at JFK. They didn't abandon Cincinnati, either.
Agreed here... I always thought since United was convinced at downsizing at CLE, they should have done with CLE what Delta did at CVG. Very small hub, but relieves pressure at Atlanta when needed and still connects a few passengers to higher volume destinations.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
They should look at a Tampa direct flight.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:38 am
RNE

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
They should look at a Tampa direct flight.
And SAN, SEA, BWI, LAS and PHX for crying out loud!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RNE
And SAN, SEA, BWI, LAS and PHX for crying out loud!
I doubt UA would be successful in those markets. LAS and, to a lesser extent, PHX are leisure markets where UA has less market power. Leisure travelers often will pick Spirit or Frontier for no other reason than they are cheapest. Granted, UA's Basic Economy fares may change that to some degree. Where they can make money is with business travelers who don't want to connect or fly on Spirit, Frontier, or sometimes even Southwest.

UA may not be able to justify 160+ seat aircraft on most non-hub destinations from CLE and that basically rules out anything west of the Rockies. The obvious exceptions are LAX. MCO, CZM. Why not DFW and PHL along with some other large cities east of the Rockies? I think they'd have the volume to be profitable. Maybe the question is whether they can make more money elsewhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.