Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Here are the load factors
UA CLE-LGA
JUN-66.7%
JUL-68.1%
AUG-74.0%
SEP-70.1%
OCT-73.1%
NOV-75.8%
DEC-73.2%

UA CLE-DCA
JUN-54.9%
JUL-53.3%
AUG-50.3%
SEP-58.3%
OCT-75.5%
NOV-78.8%
DEC -66.9%

DL CLE-BDL
JUN-76.6%
JUL-76.3%
AUG-74.5%
SEP-66.1%
OCT-74.9%
NOV-68.3%
DEC-64.3%

BOS, DCA, and LGA will be interesting to watch
No CLE-BOS data provided.

David
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:35 am
RNE

[QUOTE=RNE;29597699]
Originally Posted by RobS
Hmmm. I just had to give up a November late-morning nonstop MCO-CLE when UA moved it to 10:30 instead of 11:30. (Getting off a cruise ship and that was too tight.) Now booked on a loathsome connection.
Now it moved to 11:00.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: UA
[QUOTE=RNE;29605700]
Originally Posted by RNE
Now it moved to 11:00.
well...you switching to the nonstop?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:18 am
RNE

[QUOTE=FreqFlyerCLE;29605729]
Originally Posted by RNE
well...you switching to the nonstop?
Interesting question. Let me answer that in two and one-half ways.
  • No, because that time is still a bit too tight for comfort.
  • No, because I'm not entitled to switch for such a small time change.*
    • However, I'm supremely confident in my ability to talk my way into getting anything I want. (How else would a jerk like me end up with TSMRSRNE?)
*There does seem to be some justification for permitting a free switch back to a one-way when UA moves it back and forth. After all, my original booking was on the one-way. Thoughts?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:20 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
BOS and LGA srill have some high PRASM for them on the equipment used even if it is the devil's second chariot. Was wondering when MKE was going to end as that didn't really make sense except to rotate through maintenance. Would like to see either of the two other markets upgauged to a cr7 or E70/75 but that might take some negotiating with the scope clause and with the regional contracts in place.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CleUnited
BOS and LGA srill have some high PRASM for them on the equipment used even if it is the devil's second chariot. Was wondering when MKE was going to end as that didn't really make sense except to rotate through maintenance. Would like to see either of the two other markets upgauged to a cr7 or E70/75 but that might take some negotiating with the scope clause and with the regional contracts in place.
How often are regional contracts changed/negotiated? I imagine that ExpressJet had many/most of them since they have a maintenance base here? Is that maintenance base exclusive to the ERJ135/140/145 family?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The CLE UA club is currently undergoing a bit of a renovation. The family room is now generic seating (and looks way too much like a hospital waiting room for my comfort), while the main seating area has picked up the side tables with lights and outlets/white pleather chairs and high counter seating typical of other club renovations of late.

Sligthy concerning is that the two pods of cubicles are currently tarped off and appear to be slated for conversion to open space (though the club reps don't have info to share there other than this is 100% driven by corporate and no local input was solicited). For now my "office away from the office" aka cube 13 is intact but no promises that it will stay that way.
The cubicles have been removed from the center two pods. The pods now have a couple of little round tables in them, so less seating there and a waste of space, IMO. Not a change that I like.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:44 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by paule123
The cubicles have been removed from the center two pods. The pods now have a couple of little round tables in them, so less seating there and a waste of space, IMO. Not a change that I like.
While I famously missed in predicting the club's demise in 2016, I still think it's not long for this world. Therefore, thank your lucky stars there's a club at all, cubicles or not. Yes, yes, I've heard all the reasons why it makes sense for United to keep a club at CLE. But it made as much sense to keep a hub there, too. So much for that.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paule123
Yeah, not a huge fan of the change in that regard, but the other changes aren’t terrible.

Originally Posted by RNE
While I famously missed in predicting the club's demise in 2016, I still think it's not long for this world. Therefore, thank your lucky stars there's a club at all, cubicles or not. Yes, yes, I've heard all the reasons why it makes sense for United to keep a club at CLE. But it made as much sense to keep a hub there, too. So much for that.
For the outstatioms I visit with Clubs CLE is one of the more heavily trafficked and now that AA is on C I swear I see more offline pax come in. The fact that they just invested in refreshing essentially all of the furniture (with power infrastructure added/relocated to support it makes me think the club has at least another 5+ years in it.... but I’d feel much more comfortable about it’s long term security if it got a more complete reno
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
UClub

Renovations are not done on the club, more on the way, I prefer the OLD PC club look but a more modern UC is coming to CLE.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
Renovations are not done on the club, more on the way, I prefer the OLD PC club look but a more modern UC is coming to CLE.
Good thing about the renovations is that you can be fairly confident the club won’t be closing anytime soon (which I don’t think it would anyways, given the history and still large amount of dedicated UA flyers in CLE).
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
I thought I read somewhere United has committed to keeping it open until at least 2029, when their lease on the banjo gates is up?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:22 am
RNE

Yeah, not a huge fan of the change in that regard, but the other changes aren’t terrible.

For the outstatioms I visit with Clubs CLE is one of the more heavily trafficked and now that AA is on C I swear I see more offline pax come in. The fact that they just invested in refreshing essentially all of the furniture (with power infrastructure added/relocated to support it makes me think the club has at least another 5+ years in it.... but I’d feel much more comfortable about it’s long term security if it got a more complete reno
Five plus years? If United is willing to eat Concourse D, I doubt the paltry money they've sunk into sprucing up the Club is going to give them pause at closing it. And even if your hoped-for renovation occurs, methinks it will be United's excuse to halve the space.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
Five plus years? If United is willing to eat Concourse D, I doubt the paltry money they've sunk into sprucing up the Club is going to give them pause at closing it. And even if your hoped-for renovation occurs, methinks it will be United's excuse to halve the space.
the operating costs of concourse d and the UC are very different equations, plus all of the capex sunk into D occurred well before the dehubbing occurred — D was basically on life support with no meaningful investment since around 2008.

The UC was actual investment which I doubt UA would have made if quasi-eminent closure was on the roadmap... if they just dropped furniture in there and that was it I’d be less optimistic. Thus, since they seem to depreciate ff&e on a 5+ year schedule I think UA is planning on a longer term stay.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:20 am
RNE

the operating costs of concourse d and the UC are very different equations...
Well, yeah. Concourse D's "operating cost" is $1.1m/month. Anyway, CLE is O/D heavy. Will passengers stop flying UA because CLE club closes? Of course not. Where else are they going to go?

RNE, saying, "No club? No problem."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.