Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by moops380
Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:

Above pasted from a previous comment of yours.

Who is going to fly into Cleveland from Iceland, then connect (maybe a die-hard ULCC fan)? Does this apply on separate tickets? Does it have to be within 24 hrs, etc?
I have trouble believing Cleveland TSA will let me "carry on" to my hotel/etc a bottle of wine/liquor if I have a next day separate ticket to, say baltimore on SW.
Good questions. With the arrival times of both Iceland flights (20:20 on FI, 23:30 on WW), there are precious little connecting opportunities at CLE. I just emailed TSA about this (as well as if Pre-Check will be available at the checkpoint in the international arrivals area) and will post on their response.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
The CLE UA club is currently undergoing a bit of a renovation. The family room is now generic seating (and looks way too much like a hospital waiting room for my comfort), while the main seating area has picked up the side tables with lights and outlets/white pleather chairs and high counter seating typical of other club renovations of late.

Sligthy concerning is that the two pods of cubicles are currently tarped off and appear to be slated for conversion to open space (though the club reps don't have info to share there other than this is 100% driven by corporate and no local input was solicited). For now my "office away from the office" aka cube 13 is intact but no promises that it will stay that way.

Originally Posted by moops380
If you want to utilize being A35 and there are no weather/delays, I would be there 3-4 minutes after the scheduled boarding time. They usually take a few minutes with wheelchairs/etc from the start. Quite the hike from the UA club however. If you don't bring a rollerboard you probably have a decent shot at row 1 as you can squeeze smaller bags in the bins easily. FA's usually hang out in the exit rows during boarding too, so alot of people will walk by them, but they are available for whomever can assist (I notice they proactively tell taller/larger passengers, "oh, you might like this seat" then migrate to the next open row to assist from there. With proper strategy, you can consistently get seats with empty middles, which makes for more pleasant flights, especially longer ones where you want to get some work done on the $8 wifi.
Sweet. Thanks -- Exit Row Window is my prime objective when flying economy and I figured being at A35 I didn't stand a chance in Delta of grabbing one, but it sounds like I may have a shot. Otherwise I may make a run for row 1. I'm in the club now but will probably leave about 20 minutes prior to boarding which with a quick stride should get me to gate B10 in plenty of time. Thanks again for the insight.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by guy44134
Good questions. With the arrival times of both Iceland flights (20:20 on FI, 23:30 on WW), there are precious little connecting opportunities at CLE. I just emailed TSA about this (as well as if Pre-Check will be available at the checkpoint in the international arrivals area) and will post on their response.
Here is the TSA's response:
"Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center. After careful review, we have determined that your inquiry falls outside TSA's jurisdiction."
Why am I not surprised? I guess I will ask CLE management a bit closer to start of Iceland service.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by guy44134
Here is the TSA's response:
"Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center. After careful review, we have determined that your inquiry falls outside TSA's jurisdiction."
Why am I not surprised? I guess I will ask CLE management a bit closer to start of Iceland service.
Not sure what jurisdiction it would fall under then, I thought TSA precheck was a TSA thing (given the name). They should probably have more accurately responded, "we have no idea, good luck."
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Not sure if it was reported on, but looks like UA is conceding to WN and ending CLE-MKE service on 6/6. I was booking a summer trip to CLE and actually needed to make a side trip to MKE and had hoped the nonstop was still there. Did some digging on the timetable and can confirm both flights are gone after 6/6
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Not sure if it was reported on, but looks like UA is conceding to WN and ending CLE-MKE service on 6/6. I was booking a summer trip to CLE and actually needed to make a side trip to MKE and had hoped the nonstop was still there. Did some digging on the timetable and can confirm both flights are gone after 6/6
That's too bad. I don't use that route often but I do have to do a rare trip to Waukesha .... guess that's no more UA.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
If only they had been a bit more patient, I might have taken that "vacation of a lifetime" that they e-mailed me as my only News & Deals Fare Sale location every month since October of 2016.

Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA US
I thought UA would have pared the CLE schedule down to hubs-only by this summer. They probably can't figure out what to do with the DCA and LGA slots and they don't want to sell them.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by RobS
I thought UA would have pared the CLE schedule down to hubs-only by this summer. They probably can't figure out what to do with the DCA and LGA slots and they don't want to sell them.
I thought the slot restrictions on LGA got lifted a couple years ago...or maybe that was EWR. In any case I've never been on an LGA flight less than 100% full so I suspect there's enough demand for CLE-LGA/LGA-CLE for NYC-bound traffic that doesn't want to deal with EWR that UA still sees the route as profitable, DCA I don't have much experience with but it doesn't seem like it would be that much of a stretch to imagine enough CLE-DC traffic that wants to be close to DC and not deal with the trek from IAD -- at least until the Silver Line gets completed to the airport.

Both of those cities make more sense to me than DL's CLE-BDL nonstop given that I don't think DL has ever had a significant/non-hub operation in CLE (if anyone knows the rasion d'etre for tat route I'd love to know...)
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I thought the slot restrictions on LGA got lifted a couple years ago...or maybe that was EWR. In any case I've never been on an LGA flight less than 100% full so I suspect there's enough demand for CLE-LGA/LGA-CLE for NYC-bound traffic that doesn't want to deal with EWR that UA still sees the route as profitable, DCA I don't have much experience with but it doesn't seem like it would be that much of a stretch to imagine enough CLE-DC traffic that wants to be close to DC and not deal with the trek from IAD -- at least until the Silver Line gets completed to the airport.

Both of those cities make more sense to me than DL's CLE-BDL nonstop given that I don't think DL has ever had a significant/non-hub operation in CLE (if anyone knows the rasion d'etre for tat route I'd love to know...)
Here are the load factors
UA CLE-LGA
JUN-66.7%
JUL-68.1%
AUG-74.0%
SEP-70.1%
OCT-73.1%
NOV-75.8%
DEC-73.2%

UA CLE-DCA
JUN-54.9%
JUL-53.3%
AUG-50.3%
SEP-58.3%
OCT-75.5%
NOV-78.8%
DEC -66.9%

DL CLE-BDL
JUN-76.6%
JUL-76.3%
AUG-74.5%
SEP-66.1%
OCT-74.9%
NOV-68.3%
DEC-64.3%

BOS, DCA, and LGA will be interesting to watch
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Here are the load factors
BOS, DCA, and LGA will be interesting to watch
Agreed. Of those, I think BOS will go away first. Between NK and B6, how can they survive that route? Especially considering B6's far superior product (compared to the ExpressJet E145's UA flies for that route).
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by plinth857
Agreed. Of those, I think BOS will go away first. Between NK and B6, how can they survive that route? Especially considering B6's far superior product (compared to the ExpressJet E145's UA flies for that route).
I'm saying this without having done any research at all... but is it possible that the CLE-BOS E145s are being used to rotate equipment in/out of the CLE maintenance base? That or a corporate contract* are the only two explanations I have for that route lasting as long as it has in the face of as much competition as there is on the route.

*- I mean, we have an office in suburban Cleveland as well as suburban Boston but for a company of ~10 employees with maybe 2 round trips a year between offices I know the service isn't for us
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA
There's an article from cleveland.com (PD) on United's decision to end CLE-MKE-CLE service but also plans on additional service to MCO and IAH: United Airlines to halt flights from Cleveland to Milwaukee on June 7 | cleveland.com
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AA US
[QUOTE=FreqFlyerCLE;29597413] ... plans on additional service to MCO and IAH[ .../QUOTE]

In November. November, in airline terms, is a long way off.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:29 am
RNE

[QUOTE=RobS;29597490]
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
... plans on additional service to MCO and IAH[ .../QUOTE]
In November. November, in airline terms, is a long way off.
Hmmm. I just had to give up a November late-morning nonstop MCO-CLE when UA moved it to 10:30 instead of 11:30. (Getting off a cruise ship and that was too tight.) Now booked on a loathsome connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.