Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:56 pm
RNE

Speaking of parking, the off-site parking shuttle drop-off/pick-up is atrocious. It's a hike and a half from the terminal; it's only partially covered, and offers about as much protection from horizontal wind and rain as a 1970's bus stop out of Serpico.

"The reality is that we do not wash our own laundry. It just gets dirtier." —Frank Serpico
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
Speaking of parking, the off-site parking shuttle drop-off/pick-up is atrocious. It's a hike and a half from the terminal; it's only partially covered, and offers about as much protection from horizontal wind and rain as a 1970's bus stop out of Serpico.

"The reality is that we do not wash our own laundry. It just gets dirtier." —Frank Serpico
But Airport Management surveyed "travelers" who were OK with that arrangement as long as there was a roof...or something."

I think they actually asked the contractor hired to install that 'shelter' rather than any mass of (let alone frequent) travelers. One of the many "enhancements" that the however-many-million renovation brought to frequent travelers. Just about the only thing that didn't get worse were the revolving doors.
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
$4.50/emplaned passenger is the current limit and in doing a bit more research appears to be on an exception basis ($1, $2, or $3 PFCs appear to have a lower threshold for approval than a $4 or $4.50 PFC)

My gut reaction since I've always understood PFC to be "per emplaned passenger" (per boarding or per departure but on that research, what Iberia is doing would appear to contravene the law authorizing PFCs unless there was some other "monetary payment" (I would assume any carrier imposed charge, e.g. fuel surcharges) would trigger this, specifically, 49 USC 40017 (e)(2)(C) states that "A passenger facility charge may not be collected from a passenger enplaning at an airport if the passenger did not pay for the air transportation which resulted in such enplanement, including any case in which the passenger obtained the ticket for the air transportation with a frequent flier award coupon without monetary payment" (Emphasis added)

Yes. Maybe I'll open a dot complaint when I have too much time on my hands. For now its just too much hassle to deal with for $18, and I'd be happier the iberia website work then them have to take it down for "system maintenance" or something. With short connecting flights, its still a great deal. Hanging on to a few 100k avios from a 1:1.4 amex transfer before the 4500 avios deal was taken away, slowly whittling away at that.

The security to leave the airport after customs still seems to be one of the crazier things I have read as an "improvement plan" in recent times.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by guy44134
CLE posted 8.5% growth in 2017, totaling 9.14 million passengers, the most since 2011. Director Kennedy is predicting 9.5 pax in 2018. Interestingly enough, UA was the only carrier to reduce available seats in the market last year.

Cleveland Hopkins airport passenger traffic grows 8.5 percent in 2017, surpasses United hub years cleveland.com
Originally Posted by guy44134
Looks like the customs area is getting a slight renovation. Hope they can finally agree on a new and improved FIS connected directly to the main terminal!

Cleveland Hopkins airport renovates customs area in advance of new Iceland flights (photos) cleveland.com

CLE Hopkins Directors says Cleveland on short list for more direct flights to europe

Would love FRA (which I've been hoping for for years) or CDG. Would settle for LHR too
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:10 am
RNE

His emphasis in Cleveland has been on improving customer service at the airport. Early in his tenure, he created a "landside operations team," focused on improving the passenger experience from airport arrival to security.
Huh? Landside includes the land in front of the airport. You know, that wasteland where passengers are inconvenienced trying to get into and out of the place.

The airport welcomed inconvenienced 9.14 million passengers in 2017, up from 8.42 million the year before...
Fixed that for him.

Among the routes most coveted by Clevelanders: nonstop service to Salt Lake City...
SLC? Huh? Most coveted? Most!?

In a J.D. Power survey of customer satisfaction in 2017, Cleveland Hopkins ranked second-to-last among airports of similar size - up from dead last the year before.
Well, that is an improvement.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:22 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Small chance, but if any of you were flying today through CLE, there was a small tribute set up in the united gate area for a coworker who lost a long battle to cancer. If it is still set for the next couple of days, could you please pay respects to him and maybe hug an agent to convey condolences.
Thank you,
CleUnited
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by CleUnited
Small chance, but if any of you were flying today through CLE, there was a small tribute set up in the united gate area for a coworker who lost a long battle to cancer. If it is still set for the next couple of days, could you please pay respects to him and maybe hug an agent to convey condolences.
Thank you,
CleUnited
I saw that posted on a United manager's Twitter feed -- it looks like a really touching tribute at C28 and while I don't recall a specific interaction with Eric I'm sure I've crossed paths and been helped by him more than once.

Unfortunately I won't be flying in time (though the thought crossed my mind) but my condolences to both his personal and work families and friends. If you want to note your respects, the Twitter post mentioned that those friends/coworkers who have dispersed from CLE could email condolences that he'd print and provide with the book to the family (feel free to PM me if you want/need details)

While I've been a Cleveland CO and now UA flyer since 2005, I've really come to appreciate how much of a family the UA CLE folks are (and felt welcomed as a sort of 'extended family') -- I'm so sorry for the loss.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:08 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
I saw that posted on a United manager's Twitter feed -- it looks like a really touching tribute at C28 and while I don't recall a specific interaction with Eric I'm sure I've crossed paths and been helped by him more than once.

Unfortunately I won't be flying in time (though the thought crossed my mind) but my condolences to both his personal and work families and friends. If you want to note your respects, the Twitter post mentioned that those friends/coworkers who have dispersed from CLE could email condolences that he'd print and provide with the book to the family (feel free to PM me if you want/need details)

While I've been a Cleveland CO and now UA flyer since 2005, I've really come to appreciate how much of a family the UA CLE folks are (and felt welcomed as a sort of 'extended family') -- I'm so sorry for the loss.
Thank you from our family. Although I did not know Eric as long as some of the others, he was one of the first pmCO guys to befriend me when we merged. I am pmUA but I still call him family.

CleUnited
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
CLE-IAD going to Air Whisky and Trans States CRJs

CLE-IAD service seems to mostly be going to CRJ 200s and ERJ 145s, not operated by Mesa. On time performance for the last week has been a disaster.

Example: today Air Wisconsin operated a flight CLE-ROA (diversion? Repositioning? Who knows) which was late due to mechanical reasons, then was late again leaving ROA-IAD for mx, IAD-CLE then late and it’s cascading to the rest of the day.

Looking as bad as IAD performance to outstations like CHO and RIC... I need to take this trip weekly or 2X/week, at this point I’m probably switching to PIT-IAD which is all Mesa CRJ700s and consistently on time.

CLE-IAD fares remain high ($450 nonstop, $650 unrestricted), not worth it anymore if it’s not on time, PIT-IAD is about half price.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Cle-yyz: $1700 r/t

Nonstop CLE-YYZ is hovering $900 rt advance purchase, $1700 last minute. When will we see some competition on this Route (and not the 4 wheeled variety)?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Joshua
CLE-IAD service seems to mostly be going to CRJ 200s and ERJ 145s, not operated by Mesa. On time performance for the last week has been a disaster.

Example: today Air Wisconsin operated a flight CLE-ROA (diversion? Repositioning? Who knows) which was late due to mechanical reasons, then was late again leaving ROA-IAD for mx, IAD-CLE then late and it’s cascading to the rest of the day.

Looking as bad as IAD performance to outstations like CHO and RIC... I need to take this trip weekly or 2X/week, at this point I’m probably switching to PIT-IAD which is all Mesa CRJ700s and consistently on time.

CLE-IAD fares remain high ($450 nonstop, $650 unrestricted), not worth it anymore if it’s not on time, PIT-IAD is about half price.
I think it's temporary with the CRJ-200. I have a flight early next month (IAD-CLE) and it's an ERJ-175.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I think it's temporary with the CRJ-200. I have a flight early next month (IAD-CLE) and it's an ERJ-175.
I hope it's temporary and it would make sense due to slower travel in February. The CRJ-200 is an awful piece of flying torture and if it was permanent its a step in the wrong direction... CLE-IAD has been a tolerable connection with the 2-cabin RJs (and even "enjoyable" with a 175), but the dearth of mainline on the route (is there any?) has surprised me for a while.

In my personal calculus, with the same equipment IAD > EWR > ORD as far as preferences go, but there's not a chance in hell I'd book CLE-any hub on a 200. Doing IAD-RIC on a CR2 is bad enough to make me consider renting a car and dealing with metro DC traffic, but at least its a <100 mile flight that rarely gets above 15k feet, if it even breaks 10k.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:00 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Joshua
Nonstop CLE-YYZ is hovering $900 rt advance purchase, $1700 last minute. When will we see some competition on this Route (and not the 4 wheeled variety)?
Or YUL! I fondly recall getaway weekends to YUL, which, to me, is too far to be as drive-able as YYZ. Flying was the only option, especially for a quick 2- to 3-day stay.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA US
. Doing IAD-RIC on a CR2 is bad enough to make me consider renting a car and dealing with metro DC traffic, but at least its a <100 mile flight that rarely gets above 15k feet, if it even breaks 10k.
If you drive, don't go near DC. Take the back roads - VA28 to US15 to US17 and get on I-95 just north of Fredricksburg. There's a little slow down around F'burg, but nothing like DC.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:58 am

I hope it's temporary and it would make sense due to slower travel in February. The CRJ-200 is an awful piece of flying torture and if it was permanent its a step in the wrong direction... CLE-IAD has been a tolerable connection with the 2-cabin RJs (and even "enjoyable" with a 175), but the dearth of mainline on the route (is there any?) has surprised me for a while.

In my personal calculus, with the same equipment IAD > EWR > ORD as far as preferences go, but there's not a chance in hell I'd book CLE-any hub on a 200. Doing IAD-RIC on a CR2 is bad enough to make me consider renting a car and dealing with metro DC traffic, but at least its a <100 mile flight that rarely gets above 15k feet, if it even breaks 10k.
I could tolerate the CR2 for an hour if it would be consistently on time and not cancelled. The other options to get there are CLE-DCA in UA or AA, both ERJ-145s, CAK-DCA on AA on an ERJ-145, or Southwest from CLE-BWI. None of these are great alternatives. AA’s operational reliability on CAK-DCA does seem to be pretty good, so I’ve been simply booking a last minute ticket on that when CLE starts posting a delay at 4am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.