Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Has anyone else booked a flight on FI yet? We don't want to diss them.

RNE, pointing out that it's not like we have a ton of European carriers at CLE.
Four of us are heading to Berlin the week of Memorial Day. Looking forward to trying Icelandair. A $480 r/t fare couldn't be beat!
RNE likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
So British Airways starting Nashville to London in May. Have city leadership been talking with them over the years about getting a London route. Continental stated service back in 1999. If Nashville can get the London route then Cleveland should be able to get this service.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
So British Airways starting Nashville to London in May. Have city leadership been talking with them over the years about getting a London route. Continental stated service back in 1999. If Nashville can get the London route then Cleveland should be able to get this service.
Perhaps eventually. Cleveland is not quite yet the tourist destination that Nashville is. I do think it is only a matter of time before nonstop London service materializes, though.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:26 am
RNE

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
If Nashville can get the London route then Cleveland should be able to get this service.
It's Cleveland you're talking about, remember.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by RNE
It's Cleveland you're talking about, remember.
I think the Cleveland Clinic hospitals and research labs in London, Abu Dhabi, and Riyahd (the latter two reachable through LHR connections) will interest someone in providing a non-stop flight within the next couple of years. This represents a good piece of new business since the CO days.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobS
I think the Cleveland Clinic hospitals and research labs in London, Abu Dhabi, and Riyahd (the latter two reachable through LHR connections) will interest someone in providing a non-stop flight within the next couple of years. This represents a good piece of new business since the CO days.
How much consistent traffic do those really generate, though? An average of a few seats a day, if that? You can also get to the ME destinations there 1-stop from CLE. While I appreciate the "prestige" of international service -- I'd much rather have a variety of timing options to choose from (and fall back on in the case of IROPS) at a hub than a semi-weekly nonstop to LHR.

Mayo Clinic has had a presence in Dubai for 2 decades now but you can't get anywhere across an ocean non-stop but RST (Rochester, MN)

[For the record, when I needed to get to last month Dubai, our client suggested the one-stop options CLE-BOS-DXB or CLE-TPA-DXB and their returns on B6/EK but I elected CLE-ORD-FRA-DUB on UA/LH for the *G benefits, IMO better equipment/seating (and trying to burn GPUs but that didn't quite work)]

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Oct 24, 2017 at 10:56 am Reason: Eh... confused DUB and DXB. Doesn't help that I've had flights to both fairly recently
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:31 pm
RNE

When CLE was CO's third largest hub, it made marginal sense for CO (or perhaps even a SkyTeam partner airline) to offer (at least seasonal) service between CLE and ST hubs in Europe (e.g. Paris) or even non-ST-hub cities like London because its so popular. CO's CLE hub (especially at its height with nonstops all over the US) was a reasonable connection point outbound to or inbound from Europe, though CO never marketed it very well internationally. Now CLE is lucky to have a second tier carrier like IF or third tier like WW.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
A few more CLE cuts from F9, but nothing serious
For those that don't know this is a YOY comparison, in which total operations for the month are listed, divided over the days in the month.

F9 CLE-LAS JUN 1.4>1.0
F9 CLE-MCO APR 2.0>1.0 MAY 1.4>1.0 JUN 1.4>1.0
F9 CLE-PHX APR 0.9>0.6 JUN 0.6>0.4
F9 CLE-RSW JUN 1.4>1.0

Also worth mentioning UA is cutting CLE-SJU for this season
(not a surprise with the aftermath of the hurricane)
UA CLE-SJU DEC 0.1>0 JAN 0.2>0 FEB 0.1>0 MAR 0.3>0
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
How much consistent traffic do those really generate, though? An average of a few seats a day, if that?
At one point during construction, Clinic CEO Cosgrove said the Clinic was sending 50 people a day to Abu Dhabi; but that was pre-opening only. Since opening, I believe they rotate assignments of about 200 US staff and bring foreign nationals to the US for training. So the three facilities, when running, could generate maybe 3,000 trips a year? Added to CLE's current demand, it mounts up.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RobS
Probably in no way related but when taxing up to the terminal late this afternoon, I noticed a Virgin Atlantic 787 parked on the tarmac opposite the end of C concourse.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
Perhaps eventually. Cleveland is not quite yet the tourist destination that Nashville is. I do think it is only a matter of time before nonstop London service materializes, though.
Cleveland doesn't need to be a destination. London and other points beyond are enough. Whenever BA or Aer Lingus get some 321LRs, etc, it could happen, plus 321 in coach beats 777 10 wide & 787 9 wide.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Probably in no way related but when taxing up to the terminal late this afternoon, I noticed a Virgin Atlantic 787 parked on the tarmac opposite the end of C concourse.
I think for Browns game in London this weekend.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
I think for Browns game in London this weekend.
Ah, yes, that must be it. Removing all thoughts of the Browns for six days each week has helped my mental state!
plinth857 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Jet BLue FLL new flight

Actually the flight to FLL was rescheduled to early AM departure so flight was not added.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Oct 31, 2017 at 6:34 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Flying out this morning, two notable changes
1- It appears that the inline baggage processing upgrade has been 'finished', or at least, no longer need to schlep bags to from the ticket counter to TSA.

2- The Fresh Brewed Tees location barricade now has signage for something like "The Boutique" opening January 2018 -- from the imagery it looks like perfumes and the like...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.