Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by RobS
CLE-BOS traffic is booming. Third quarter, 2014 - 305 per day, 2016 - 749 per day
Wonder why the late flight goes away after July 30. Why cede load to JetBlue and others?

CLE-BOS used to have at least one mainline flight per day on CO as well as ERJs. I wonder with the demand if they could stand to offer a mainline flight. Probably the number crunchers have determined with data that it wouldn't work, but if people are faced with an ERJ on United or JetBlue's service, JetBlue does look more attractive, whereas mainline UA would compare favorably.

A year ago now, as the RNC ended, UA had wacky one-off mainline flights like two packed big 737s CLE-PHL to take press etc. to the DNC. It was a taste of the good old days of being a hub.

WN offering CLE-MKE may be the end of UA keeping that route. I was surprised that of all routes, CLE-MKE would be kept through the dehubbing, but it has stayed and lasted. Heck, if you can connect at CLE flying out of MKE to one of the remaining CLE destinations like BOS, why not do so? Beats the stuffing out of connecting at ORD.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UAzip
WN offering CLE-MKE may be the end of UA keeping that route. I was surprised that of all routes, CLE-MKE would be kept through the dehubbing, but it has stayed and lasted. Heck, if you can connect at CLE flying out of MKE to one of the remaining CLE destinations like BOS, why not do so? Beats the stuffing out of connecting at ORD.
I agree... I always felt that United would be served well having Cleveland as a relief connector (much like Delta seems to do at Cincinnati) to give travelers an option that don't care for traveling through ORD. I know when I have traveled with Delta in the past, I will sometimes choose to go through their other hubs to avoid the bustle of Atlanta.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA
Ua 3591 7/21/17

Strange...UA app says #3591 "Arrived at gate 1 minute early, Overflew Kansas City (MCI) Departue from DEN to CLE" What's the deal with this?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Strange...UA app says #3591 "Arrived at gate 1 minute early, Overflew Kansas City (MCI) Departue from DEN to CLE" What's the deal with this?
Indeed odd --- might be worth asking over on the UA forum for certain. "Overflew" implies that a scheduled stop that was skipped, e.g. the flight# was scheduled as DEN-MCI-CLE but for whatever reason(s) [in the old days when multiple hop routes were more common: weather at that airport, no passengers or cargo to load/unload at that stop, etc. -- much like a city bus not actually stopping at every stop on the route], however, I can't find any indications that 3591 has ever had anything to do with MCI so maybe someone fat-fingered something?

My one thought (and this is grasping at straws) is that perhaps the flight was going to divert to MCI for whatever reason (fuel, weather, mechanical, medical) but the situation changed and they made the decision to continue to CLE after flifo had been updated to show the MCI stop...

I have never seen that status message before though for CO/UA, though.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Indeed odd --- might be worth asking over on the UA forum for certain. "Overflew" implies that a scheduled stop that was skipped, e.g. the flight# was scheduled as DEN-MCI-CLE but for whatever reason(s) [in the old days when multiple hop routes were more common: weather at that airport, no passengers or cargo to load/unload at that stop, etc. -- much like a city bus not actually stopping at every stop on the route], however, I can't find any indications that 3591 has ever had anything to do with MCI so maybe someone fat-fingered something?

My one thought (and this is grasping at straws) is that perhaps the flight was going to divert to MCI for whatever reason (fuel, weather, mechanical, medical) but the situation changed and they made the decision to continue to CLE after flifo had been updated to show the MCI stop...

I have never seen that status message before though for CO/UA, though.
I'll ask on UA forum. My thought was a mistake in the status. Who knows! Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:33 pm

The former CO/UA customer service center in C is completely removed. No desk, carpeting, signage. Wonder what CLE will do with that limited space? AA customer service center? Fast food?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:58 pm

Some good news about passenger numbers. Year-over-year numbers are up over 230,000 through June.

http://www.clevelandairport.com/cle-...-leap-113-june
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
The former CO/UA customer service center in C is completely removed. No desk, carpeting, signage. Wonder what CLE will do with that limited space? AA customer service center? Fast food?
Yeah, I noticed that this morning... and in the UC there were several people troubleshooting networking issues at one of the workstations -- given the giant bundle of network cables that to looks like someone took a boltcutters to, I have to wonder if they're related. AA CS wouldn't entirely surprise me, but the space seems pretty large relative to AA's presence

[And if you stop by the UA club ask the agents if they know about the guy having a wedding in Scotland ;-P]

Lincoln
(Currently flying to EDI for one day to drop off paperwork for said wedding since UPS couldn't; get it there in time)
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Yeah, I noticed that this morning... and in the UC there were several people troubleshooting networking issues at one of the workstations -- given the giant bundle of network cables that to looks like someone took a boltcutters to, I have to wonder if they're related. AA CS wouldn't entirely surprise me, but the space seems pretty large relative to AA's presence

[And if you stop by the UA club ask the agents if they know about the guy having a wedding in Scotland ;-P]

Lincoln
(Currently flying to EDI for one day to drop off paperwork for said wedding since UPS couldn't; get it there in time)
Safe travels and early congratulations!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I agree AA CS, a small fast food joint, or even a play area for kids like ORD has would be great.

Was in the airport on Sunday and it's almost reminiscent of the hub days with how busy C looked (thanks to the multiple AA departures).

Anyone know when they plan to finish/start using their new gates? The jetbridges look brand new but still no sign of activity.

Separately - I hadn't noticed that the one food place near the UA club had gone out of business. Would be nice if something else goes in there... Right now it looks very dark/abandoned in that entire corner.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I agree AA CS, a small fast food joint, or even a play area for kids like ORD has would be great.

Was in the airport on Sunday and it's almost reminiscent of the hub days with how busy C looked (thanks to the multiple AA departures).

Anyone know when they plan to finish/start using their new gates? The jetbridges look brand new but still no sign of activity.

Separately - I hadn't noticed that the one food place near the UA club had gone out of business. Would be nice if something else goes in there... Right now it looks very dark/abandoned in that entire corner.
Are you talking about the Starbucks?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oscar555
Are you talking about the Starbucks?
No there was something else there. It's that corner directly across from the entrance to the UC. I think it might have been called Green Leaves or something like that?

I just hadn't noticed it went out of business until this trip because it was tucked in the corner. It was near that area with all of the tables (cafeteria setup) if that helps?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE

AA is scheduled to move to their permanent gates around August 1. They will also start using baggage carousel #8 and their new baggage service office around that time.

Not sure what the plans are for the empty concession area across from the United Club.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AA US
If they "bump out" the wall a bit, would there be room enough for an Admirals Club?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:56 am
RNE

Is there any nonstop service between CLE-JFK on any airline?

RNE, not wanting to ground-transfer between LGA/EWR and JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.