Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
WN leaving CAK all together. ATL flights will move to CLE and Adding another frequency to STL. June 4, finally will need the extra gate they added a few months ago.
Remind me/forgive me since I don't really pay attention to CAK -- did WN have any CAK presence pre-FL merger or was their entire presence inherited from FL?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
WN had no presence pre merger but did add flights to MDW,DEN, and LAS in addition to the Air Tran routes they were flying to BOS,LGA,MCO, and TPA. I saw this coming.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The D design did suck. No connection to the main terminal when during the final years of usage had alot of local traffic in which passengers were forced to take the tunnel to C and back down. So it will sit dead for another 10 years. They should build a bridge to a brand new terminal that is needed to replace the one built in 1955. that 1955 sign is plainly visible on the right side as you come from concourse A to the main terminal. Do they even have a long term master plan that could address this. They just built a new FAA control tower located for the first time not connected to the Airport located near the IX Center. That is the 4th control tower built since the airport opened.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Would be nice if they reopened the observatory deck at the end of B concourse. They locked that off after 9/11.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by paule123
Would be nice if they reopened the observatory deck at the end of B concourse. They locked that off after 9/11.
Agreed. I remember going to that all the time when I was a kid. I could have sat out there for hours.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: UA
FYI: January edition of "Hemisphere " has positive article on CLE and LBJ.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
The President or the Indonesian airport?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Wooglin
The President or the Indonesian airport?
Ha! Think CAVS superstar!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Ha! Think CAVS superstar!
Center for advanced vehicular systems superstar?

Now I'm really confused....
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:28 pm

I still can't get over the irony of Hemisphere publishing their little "dossier" on Cleveland and highlighting it as a city and distributing it the same month that it was de-hubbed (February 2014). Almost as if Smisek planned it that way just for his own little ironic humor.

http://ink-live.com/emagazines/hemis...february-2014/

I did read the current article, and it was very nice to read.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by plinth857
I still can't get over the irony of Hemisphere publishing their little "dossier" on Cleveland and highlighting it as a city and distributing it the same month that it was de-hubbed (February 2014). Almost as if Smisek planned it that way just for his own little ironic humor.
The dehubbing was an act of desperation when UA found itself unable to operate with acceptable reliability because of merger blues and a pilot shortage. Something had to go - fast. CLE fit the bill. The economic rationale was manufactured. Hence, the weird timing of the Hemispheres article.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by RobS
The dehubbing was an act of desperation when UA found itself unable to operate with acceptable reliability because of merger blues and a pilot shortage. Something had to go - fast. CLE fit the bill. The economic rationale was manufactured. Hence, the weird timing of the Hemispheres article.
Yeah, that makes sense. I just like being critical of Smisek, even if it isn't rooted in facts.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by plinth857
Yeah, that makes sense. I just like being critical of Smisek, even if it isn't rooted in facts.
So do I. The merger blues *were* his fault.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by RobS
Exactly. This is the most plausible explanation both for the quick ending of mostly RJ45 routes and why United seems OK paying for most of Concourse C and all of Concourse D (for millions of dollars a year) without even utilizing most of it.

My personal opinion is that Concourse D would make an excellent ULCC terminal, and Concourse A should be razed and potentially rebuilt as a modern international capable concourse.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:18 pm

Some new air service announced today: Spirit daily to New Orleans and Allegiant seasonal service to Destin/Fort Walton Beach, FL (never heard of them before).

http://ir.spirit.com/releasedetail.c...easeID=1007401

http://www.clevelandairport.com/alle...h-fares-low-42

So when is transatlantic service going to be announced?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.