Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Some excitement yesterday at CLE with UA 38:

http://fox8.com/2016/04/28/plane-mak...ional-airport/

I'm glad everyone was safe.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Wow: 3 redeyes currently flying LAX-CLE. UA, Spirit, and Frontier. UA for the next several weeks is only operating 1 roundtrip to LAX.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
RSW & FLL return next year. 737-700
Old May 9, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
RSW & FLL return next year. 737-700
This is where the O/D strengths of Cleveland show. One of my former colleagues from NYC is a United flyer who will only fly out from LaGuardia... prides himself on NEVER going to EWR (and he didn't go to JFK even when UA was there). He's gone down to FLL and MCO from LGA and and CLE was a connection option each time... he actually connected through CLE for his Orlando trip. I found that quite fascinating at the time!
Old May 9, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life, United 1K, Hyatt, Platinum
Thumbs down Why is United distroying the Cleveland Nonstop Service

Cleveland nonstop services has gone from a high of about 56-58 nonstop flight destinations to 15. Is United trying to destroy what was once a active sucessful Continental hub?

United is truly one of the worst airlines in the world!

Last edited by Megatouch; May 9, 2016 at 12:29 pm Reason: mispelled one
Old May 9, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Megatouch
Is United trying to destroy what was once a active sucessful Continental hub?

United is truly one of the worst airlines in the world!
I doubt that is their direct intention. They've perhaps found better ways to utilize their aircraft.

Last edited by goalie; May 9, 2016 at 1:07 pm Reason: link no longer needed after thread merge
Old May 9, 2016, 12:43 pm

UA dehubbing CLE is no different than what DL has effectively done with MEM, to some extent CVG, what AA did with BNA back in the day, US did with PIT, among other examples.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Megatouch
Cleveland nonstop services has gone from a high of about 56-58 nonstop flight destinations to 15. Is United trying to destroy what was once a active sucessful Continental hub?
Yes, but this has been happening for years and has been well documented both here on FT and by UA themselves in press releases. With ORD being such a powerhouse for UA CLE was/ is redundant.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:13 pm

Just noticed WN picked up another LAS flight. too bad LAS-CLE are at 730am and 950 am, not ideal. Frontier and Spirit are both in the AM too.

As a sidenote, I recently noticed on the CVG wikipedia page the "Full List of Cuts by Delta Air Lines and SkyTeam Partners" chart showing what was CVG at its prime. Would be neat to get all that data together for the CLE wiki, I have gone back and looked at the history but it needs some cleaning, and I'm sure its missing alot as wikipedia was not as reliable or used as it is today.

Below is edited a bit (from August 2008), certainly missing destinations from before then, but a bit further back in wikipedia has nothing, so I guess I'll leave it up to the community to help add former destinations, when I get some time I'll try to format it a bit better, and add anything that needs added, eventually to put on the wikipedia page. Cheers!

American Airlines (former US included):Charlotte, Dallas/Fort Worth, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Phoenix
American Eagle (former US included): Chicago-O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Miami, New York-JFK, New York-LaGuardia, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Washington-Reagan

USA3000 Airlines: Cancn, Punta Cana, St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Puerto Vallarta, Sarasota/Bradenton
Midwest Airlines: Milwaukee
Air Canada: Toronto-Pearson

Delta Air Lines (former NW incl.): Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Memphis, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul
Delta Connection(former NW incl.): Atlanta,Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, New York-LaGuardia, New York-JFK, Salt Lake City, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Orlando, Raleigh/Durham, Hartford

Southwest Airlines: Baltimore, Chicago–Midway, Denver, Las Vegas, Nashville, Phoenix–Sky Harbor, St. Louis, Fort Myers, Orlando–International

Continental Airlines: Albany, Baltimore/Washington, Boston, Cancn, Chicago-O'Hare, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Hartford, Houston-Intercontinental, Las Vegas, London-Heathrow, London-Gatwick, Los Angeles, Miami, Nassau, New York-LaGuardia, Newark, Orlando, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, San Juan, Seattle/Tacoma, Tampa, West Palm Beach

Continental Express: Akron/Canton, Albany, Albuquerque, Allentown/Bethlehem, Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore/Washington, Birmingham (AL), Boston, Bradford, Buffalo, Burlington (VT), Charlotte, Charleston (SC),Charleston (WV), Chicago-O'Hare, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Clarksburg, Columbus (OH), Dallas/Fort Worth, Dayton, Des Moines, Detroit, DuBois(PA), Elmira/Corning(NY), Erie, Flint, Fort Wayne, Franklin(PA), Grand Rapids, Green Bay, Greensboro, Greenville (SC), Harrisburg, Hartford, Houston-Intercontinental, Indianapolis, Islip, Jacksonville, Jamestown(NY), Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Knoxville, Lansing, Lexington, Lewisburg(WV), Little Rock, Louisville, Madison, Manchester (NH), Memphis, Midland/Saginaw (MI), Milwaukee, Miami, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Montreal, Morgantown, Nashville, Nassau, New Orleans, Newark, New York-JFK,New York-LaGuardia, Norfolk, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Ottawa, Parkersburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Portland (ME), Providence, Qubec City, Raleigh/Durham, Richmond, Rochester (NY), Saginaw, San Antonio, Sarasota, St. Louis, Savannah, South Bend, Syracuse, Toledo, Toronto-Pearson, Traverse City (MI) Tulsa, Washington-Dulles, Washington-Reagan, West Palm Beach, White Plains, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

JAT Yugoslav Airlines: Belgrade(Serbia), Ljubljana (Slovenia)

Spirit Airlines: Atlanta, Dallas/Fort Worth, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando, Boston, Fort Myers, Myrtle Beach, Tampa

JetBlue Airways: Boston, Fort Lauderdale

Frontier Airlines: Cancn, Fort Myers, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix–Sky Harbor, San Francisco, Tampa, Atlanta, Denver, Portland (OR), Punta Cana, Raleigh/Durham, Seattle/Tacoma

Last edited by moops380; May 18, 2016 at 7:17 am Reason: more info
Old May 9, 2016, 4:56 pm

Hi everyone!

I need some advice from you who know about CLE. It has been at least a decade since I flew out of CLE, and I have heard horror stories about massively long lines at the TSA checkpoints at Hopkins, and the construction problems in the terminal and parking areas.

My family has a 7:30 AM Friday flight to SFO, and we are driving from about 3 hours away for the trip. How bad is it to park and how long are the lines at that time of the morning? Which checkpoint is better to use?

Many times I get TSA pre-checked which makes life easier, but that's just one member of the family, do I really have to leave at 1:30 or 2:00 AM to have a better-than- average chance to get my family to the gate before they close the doors?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old May 9, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jkumpire
Hi everyone!

I need some advice from you who know about CLE. It has been at least a decade since I flew out of CLE, and I have heard horror stories about massively long lines at the TSA checkpoints at Hopkins, and the construction problems in the terminal and parking areas.

My family has a 7:30 AM Friday flight to SFO, and we are driving from about 3 hours away for the trip. How bad is it to park and how long are the lines at that time of the morning? Which checkpoint is better to use?

Many times I get TSA pre-checked which makes life easier, but that's just one member of the family, do I really have to leave at 1:30 or 2:00 AM to have a better-than- average chance to get my family to the gate before they close the doors?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
I'd drive the evening before and get a hotel room near the airport...
Old May 9, 2016, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
CLE check-in in the AM is at the worst, everyone has early departures including UA, F9, NK, AA, DL.

On a good day lines are swift on a bad day the lines are maddening.

When is the trip? If you are want to be safe allow two hours and hopefully you wont need it.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k
CLE check-in in the AM is at the worst, everyone has early departures including UA, F9, NK, AA, DL.

On a good day lines are swift on a bad day the lines are maddening.

When is the trip? If you are want to be safe allow two hours and hopefully you wont need it.
This Friday, on UA at 7:30 A.M. I'm always at the airport 2 hours early, but I heard it is such a train wreck/dumpster fire I fear two hours early is not soon enough.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:01 pm

The jetways on C3 and C5 were removed either yesterday or today. Wonder where they are headed.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jkumpire
This Friday, on UA at 7:30 A.M. I'm always at the airport 2 hours early, but I heard it is such a train wreck/dumpster fire I fear two hours early is not soon enough.
I try to avoid morning flights because I'm not a morning person but as another poster mentioned it's highly variable. About 6-8 weeks ago I had an AM flight and showing up 2 hours early the TSA Pre line was nearly half the length of the terminal. About a month ago same flight, same showed up a bit earlier based on previous flight and I was #3 in line waiting for TSA Pre to open. Both of those were when TSA Pre was centralized at the B checkpoint... Since it's moved back to C it seems much less crowded.

You might want to check to see what time TSA claims they're opening on Friday. No sense in showing up uber early if you can't get through security. (And personally, I'd grab a room at the Hilton Garden Inn across 480 but that's because I prefer to sleep as late as humanly possible)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.