Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by guy44134
Has anyone actually booked a trip on Aer Lingus? I'm looking at some decent fares to the UK around Thanksgiving. Start of service is only about 2 months away. I wonder how the bookings look. Also wonder which gate the flights will use since there is US pre-clearance in DUB so passengers don't have to endure the inadequate FIS facilities at CLE.
I booked the inaugural when the service was announced 500 round trip. Got friends in Shannon will be driving there. I was on both inaugurals on CO CLE-LGW and CLE-LHR.

Originally Posted by DELee
How does that help CLE?

Just showing if a city like AUS has direct service to London why not CLE even seasonal.
David

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 21, 2023 at 12:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Just showing if a city like AUS has direct service to London why not CLE even seasonal.
But AUS is generating its demand organically by having SXSW, Grand Prix, ok weather, etc. that folks internationally are paying to fly to ATX and Austinites are paying to fly TATL destinations - even though it is hours further away from Europe.

CLE is having to pay airlines to add international service. Any international service. And prior service has dried up and either dropped or failed. And frankly, AUS as an airport is quite superior to CLE in all ways - especially for incoming visitors compared to all of the issues already discussed upthread. Example: AUS: two hotels on property + a gas station + more just off property + a terminal attached car rental facility + actual parking. CLE: well, y'all can fill in the comparative details (or lack thereof).

Sorry, not buying any parallels. And I'm not taking any subsidies.

David
RNE and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by DELee; Mar 19, 2023 at 8:50 pm
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
I'd add the lack of earning UA PQP to the headwinds...for the UA loyalists here, the cost/benefit to consider will be "is sacrificing PQP's for the CPB pre clearance worth it" on flights to Europe outside of DUB. For example, do I value CLE-DUB-MUC-DUB-CLE with no PQP, but the direct TATL to CLE more than I value PQP's on CLE-EWR/IAD/ORD-MUC-EWR/IAD/ORD-CLE.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:18 am

Looks like Aer Lingus will be operating out of the C Concourse at CLE (C14 is what I've heard), will use the United Club for business class passengers, and have their ticket counter next to where Alaska Airlines operates (what was Tackl Health COVID testing).

I bit the bullet and booked a trip in November CLE-DUB-EDI-GLA-DUB-CLE. Looks like they will pause service Jan.9-Feb. 17, 2024, due to aircraft overhauls (also happens to be the depth of the low season). Let's hope they actually restart service again!
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:22 am

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned before, but Frontier announced another expansion at CLE to CLT, DFW (both AA hubs with exorbitant airfares), SAN, SFO (along with SJU, announced earlier):
https://www.cleveland.com/travel/202...charlotte.html

CLE will be the 10th busiest station in the Frontier system by May 2023. Let's see if the "seasonal" flights return next season.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:28 am

More parking woes likely coming to CLE. But a new temporary shuttle lot is also coming, the Grey Lot: https://www.cleveland.com/travel/202...ak-travel.html
Old Mar 31, 2023, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Looks like Aer Lingus will be operating out of the C Concourse at CLE (C14 is what I've heard), will use the United Club for business class passengers...

I bit the bullet and booked a trip in November CLE-DUB-EDI-GLA-DUB-CLE. Looks like they will pause service Jan.9-Feb. 17, 2024, due to aircraft overhauls (also happens to be the depth of the low season). Let's hope they actually restart service again!
mrs_dergon and I looking at some early winter travel to CDG and the Aer Lingus prices look rock bottom. Like $400 RT or $1800 up front.

(Compared to UA at $800/$4500 respectively)
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:05 am
RNE

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
mrs_dergon and I looking at some early winter travel to CDG and the Aer Lingus prices look rock bottom. Like $400 RT or $1800 up front. (Compared to UA at $800/$4500 respectively)
Is it lie-flat?

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned before, but Frontier announced another expansion at CLE...
Speaking of which, as the patriarch of the illustrious RNE Family, I am in the early stages of planning to host an extended family trip to SAN. My frugal son, as opposed to my spendthrift son, brought to my attention F9's intended service from CLE. Of course, I and my other son laughed at him. I mean, think of it... an RNE on lowly F9? As if!

Looks like Aer Lingus will be operating out of the C Concourse at CLE...
That's good news.

...will use the United Club for business class passengers...
That's bad news.

I bit the bullet and booked a trip in November CLE-DUB-EDI-GLA-DUB-CLE.
Proud.

Let's hope they actually restart service again!
Indeed. CLE doesn't need another one-and-done TATL airline.

RNE, dressed in Hamlet's garb and saying, "Alas, poor FI and WW, I knew them, Horatio..."
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Is it lie-flat?

My *guess* is it's domestic first seat ... but I'll get back to you on it.

edit -- says it's lie flat.

BUSINESS
$1,8873 fares left at this price
  • Dedicated check-in area
  • Fast track through security
  • Lounge access
  • Priority boarding
  • Exclusive cabin
    Help Tooltip
  • Lie flat seats
    Help Tooltip
  • Luxury dining
    Help Tooltip
  • Free Wifi (where available)
    Help Tooltip
  • 3 x 23kg/50lb checked bags
  • Standby for earlier flight
  • No change fee (fare difference applies)
  • Eligible for a refund voucher
  • Eligible for a cash refund (less 15% & fees)

here's a flashy video i just found

guy44134 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
That's bad news.
Curious about what drives this reaction? The UA club doesn't suffer from crowding currently and (if true) would drive better utilization potentially (further) incentiviing UA to maintain the club beyond current lease expiration. And the pizza in the UA club recently has been reaally good. What am I missing that makes this bad news?

Originally Posted by RNE
Indeed. CLE doesn't need another one-and-done TATL airline.
Hoping both the natural (and more well known) attractiveness of Dublin combined with the more well known and merely LCC airline give it a fighting chance compared to the less known ULCCs who have come previously. Not that I'm putting money on it but it seems to at least be a bit better.........
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
More parking woes likely coming to CLE. But a new temporary shuttle lot is also coming, the Grey Lot: https://www.cleveland.com/travel/202...ak-travel.html
"The problem is compounded by ongoing rehab work at the Smart Parking Garage, where approximately 2,000 spaces are currently out of commission. That work won’t be done until late summer, according to airport officials."

What "ongoing rehab work" ? I haven't seen any work going on at all in the garage in the last 2-3 years since they put up the "temporary" supports to hold the place up.

ETA: I question the reporting in that article. There's nowhere near 2000 spaces out of commission. Perhaps 200-400 out of commission based on personal observation. The garage has approx. 4000 spaces according to a simple google search.

I did learn something new however, that they jacked the rate up to $22.
lincolnjkc likes this.

Last edited by paule123; Mar 31, 2023 at 11:25 pm
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by paule123
"The problem is compounded by ongoing rehab work at the Smart Parking Garage, where approximately 2,000 spaces are currently out of commission. That work won’t be done until late summer, according to airport officials."

What "ongoing rehab work" ? I haven't seen any work going on at all in the garage in the last 2-3 years since they put up the "temporary" supports to hold the place up.

ETA: I question the reporting in that article. There's nowhere near 2000 spaces out of commission. Perhaps 200-400 out of commission based on personal observation. The garage has approx. 4000 spaces according to a simple google search.

I did learn something new however, that they jacked the rate up to $22.
Drove by the brown lot the other day surprised to see it pretty full. Good for the airport that its near capacity. I'll stick to my $25 uber or take advantage of ~7+ day included parking zones with connection via rail. I think people must just be scared of the 1 crackhead that seems to live in the train station (understandably). If i pass near puritas soon I'll check the lot to see if they also have thousands of empty LT spots. (puritas is probably more convenient if coming from 71).

edit to add. The Puritas lot has about 70 spots marked for 7 day long term, 4 cars were there. Brookpark lot had maybe 50 cars in long term, also there is a further auxiliary lot that doesn't appear have been used in decades, I'd surmise thats also fine for 7 day parking but I'm not sure in my lifetime I will ever see the regular (including 7 day marked) lot full (except for maybe the 8-9 times a year the Browns stadium is used, however The probability I'd fly out on a sunday is minimal).

Last edited by moops380; Apr 3, 2023 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 1, 2023, 1:31 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Curious about what drives this reaction?
My reaction is driven by breathing thin Martian air. Actually, overcrowding is my concern. I don't visit the club often but when I do it's at peak times.

Hoping both the natural (and more well known) attractiveness of Dublin combined with the more well known and merely LCC airline give it a fighting chance compared to the less known ULCCs who have come previously.
That's a good point, but the locals never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Not that I'm putting money on it but it seems to at least be a bit better.
I wonder if Jack is taking action on that.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 4:49 pm

mrs_dergon and I looking at some early winter travel to CDG and the Aer Lingus prices look rock bottom. Like $400 RT or $1800 up front.

(Compared to UA at $800/$4500 respectively)
Originally Posted by RNE
Is it lie-flat?

i'm an idiot

I was comparing one-way to RT pricing
Old Apr 2, 2023, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by RNE
My reaction is driven by breathing thin Martian air. Actually, overcrowding is my concern. I don't visit the club often but when I do it's at peak times.
I really don't think overcrowding at that time of the evening will be a problem at all. EI86 is scheduled to depart CLE at 8:20 p.m., and UA only has about half a dozen flights departing CLE past 6:00 p.m., so 16 EI passengers will not lead to much overcrowding there.

My *guess* is it's domestic first seat ... but I'll get back to you on it.

edit -- says it's lie flat.

here's a flashy video i just found

https://youtu.be/ma3plA3LbxE

Here's another video of the A321neo LR aircraft that will be used on CLE-DUB flights.

lincolnjkc likes this.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 8, 2023 at 9:20 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.