Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Looks like United is cutting back its winter schedule this year after adding flights last winter.
No PHX, LAS, even TPA. No second flight to FLL, RSW, and MCO. Any reason why performance issue. They rehired employees to support increased schedules last year wonder the impact. Also ORD down to 5 flights and IAD 3.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
I'm not surprised they're not adding a second flight to RSW considering the hurricane damage, reduction in hotel and rental inventory, and many of the beaches are closed.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Looks like United is cutting back its winter schedule this year after adding flights last winter.
No PHX, LAS, even TPA. No second flight to FLL, RSW, and MCO. Any reason why performance issue. They rehired employees to support increased schedules last year wonder the impact. Also ORD down to 5 flights and IAD 3.
Looking at flights out of CLE today, UA has two MCO nonstop flights from CLE. Same for tomorrow and into the foreseeable future.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Looking at flights out of CLE today, UA has two MCO nonstop flights from CLE. Same for tomorrow and into the foreseeable future.

I was looking at December prime winter flying
only showing one to MCO.
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 5:34 pm

Hotel closed

The Airport hotel closed a few months back was on disrepair not sure why they did not keep it up to date it’s an eyesore so now we have a closed concourse and hotel.
Many years back they indicated a plan to build a new hotel as related to a new terminal. We have a master plan now but that should have been done decades ago.
With regard to the hotel airport management said we don’t need a hotel on site we are no longer a hub. That’s really not true. When you were a hub people flew in say from Toledo and Erie now some people drive in the night before and have stayed at that hotel. Many airline crews used the hotel walked there. Meetings were held there on site convient. IX Convention Center reopened no hotel there many used the airport hotel.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 4:57 pm

CVG to LHR

Looks like British Airways will be adding CVG-LHR in June. Yes we got Aer Lingus but I wonder have we ever had serious discussions with BA. CVG and PIT very similar market size as Cleveland.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Looks like British Airways will be adding CVG-LHR in June. Yes we got Aer Lingus but I wonder have we ever had serious discussions with BA. CVG and PIT very similar market size as Cleveland.
CLE is probably too close to one of BA's existing services at PIT. I'm sure though that Cleveland pursued it; I would be surprised if they hadn't. Perhaps if Aer Lingus does well here in CLE, Cleveland gets a second look.
guy44134 and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 10:17 am
RNE

Flash forward to 2024...

Aer Lingus announced it is suspending service to Cleveland Hopkins Airport citing a lack of demand. Airport officials admitted they expected this, given the public's "abysmal lack of sophistication." Indeed, we interviewed an average Clevelander (pictured) who identified himself only as "Stash." His response: "Airline?! I thought Aer Lingus was a kielbasa? If it was an airline, why didn't the fools spell it Air?" Whereupon Stash began singing "Who Stole the Kishka."

Old Nov 17, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RNE
Flash forward to 2024...

Aer Lingus announced it is suspending service to Cleveland Hopkins Airport citing a lack of demand. Airport officials admitted they expected this, given the public's "abysmal lack of sophistication." Indeed, we interviewed an average Clevelander (pictured) who identified himself only as "Stash." His response: "Airline?! I thought Aer Lingus was a kielbasa? If it was an airline, why didn't the fools spell it Air?" Whereupon Stash began singing "Who Stole the Kishka."

Is this the same public with abysmal lack of sophistication that successfully supports one of the world's great symphony orchestras?
Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:05 am
RNE

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Is this the same public with abysmal lack of sophistication that successfully supports one of the world's great symphony orchestras?
A symphony with a great accordion section.

RNE, opining that one measure of sophistication is the ability to appreciate satire.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Wrong side of the Cuyahoga for culture
(Not to start an East/West war but it is rather nice to have home I can afford within about a 40 minute walk of Severance and CMA... Proud to say I've had members of the orchestra play in my living room from time to time. Severance is great, but that is an almost religious experience)

That said as I've said countless times before I don't see myself flying Aer Lingus from CLE unless someone gives me a ticket (I can usually be bought with free travel...). UA just takes too good care of me and has plenty of options if something goes sideways. If EI is delayed/canceled/doesn't work for my schedule... what... wait 24+ hours or put up a big fight for an INVOL RR [which at least is an option with EI compared to some of the LCC/ULCCs that have tried before]
mrmoo and FreqFlyerCLE like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
The Airport hotel closed a few months back was on disrepair not sure why they did not keep it up to date it’s an eyesore so now we have a closed concourse and hotel...With regard to the hotel airport management said we don’t need a hotel on site we are no longer a hub. That’s really not true. When you were a hub people flew in say from Toledo and Erie now some people drive in the night before and have stayed at that hotel. Many airline crews used the hotel walked there. Meetings were held there on site convient. IX Convention Center reopened no hotel there many used the airport hotel.
While the onsite hotel was convenient, I don't think it's necessary and clearly the costs to renovate were higher than expected profits. There are several hotels close by with shuttles, including a new four-points (Sheraton-adjacent brand) off W 150th, no more than 5 minutes away.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
...That said as I've said countless times before I don't see myself flying Aer Lingus from CLE unless someone gives me a ticket (I can usually be bought with free travel...). UA just takes too good care of me and has plenty of options if something goes sideways. If EI is delayed/canceled/doesn't work for my schedule... what... wait 24+ hours or put up a big fight for an INVOL RR [which at least is an option with EI compared to some of the LCC/ULCCs that have tried before]
If my destination was DUB, then I can see flying EI. Otherwise I agree, what difference does it make to connect in EWR or DUB? In all honesty, if I'm flying overnight to Europe, I'd prefer to land at my final destination than to arrive, tired, and try to connect.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:11 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mrmoo
...I'd prefer to land at my final destination than to arrive, tired, and try to connect.
So, instead of being tired at an airport, you're tired at your destination, say Paris. Worse, it's the crack of dawn and the mustachioed desk clerk at your hotel in the 6th arrondissement snickers when you ask, "Is our room ready?" Your spouse, still irked that you wouldn't spring for lodgings in the swankier 7th arrondissement, fumes, wanting nothing more than to take a shower and change clothes after being overheated all night on United's air-vent-less 767. "We'll find something to do, honey," you say with false conviction while squinting out of the hotel lobby's dirty window onto a street bestrewn with stray cats who scatter from the noise of a rumbling garbage truck. You don't dare look at your spouse, fearing the scowl you'll surely see.

Meanwhile, as you wander and yawn amid the streets of Saint-Germain-des-Prés (a nice neighborhood, yes, but nothing like those in the 7th arrondissement -- as your spouse repeatedly reminds you), another couple who also departed CLE but flew Are Lingus to DUB, are tired, yes, but well fed and comfortably seated at their connecting gate, anticipating their midday flight to CDG. They arrive in early afternoon; their hotel room is ready in the 7th Arrondissement. Ironically, outside that establishment, stride you and your spouse, dead on your feet as you lament under your breath, "I should've flown Aer Lingus to Dub" and step in dog droppings.

RNE, short story auteur extraordinaire
mrmoo likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RNE
So, instead of being tired at an airport, you're tired at your destination, say Paris. Worse, it's the crack of dawn and the mustachioed desk clerk at your hotel in the 6th arrondissement snickers when you ask, "Is our room ready?" Your spouse, still irked that you wouldn't spring for lodgings in the swankier 7th arrondissement, fumes, wanting nothing more than to take a shower and change clothes after being overheated all night on United's air-vent-less 767. "We'll find something to do, honey," you say with false conviction while squinting out of the hotel lobby's dirty window onto a street bestrewn with stray cats who scatter from the noise of a rumbling garbage truck. You don't dare look at your spouse, fearing the scowl you'll surely see.

Meanwhile, as you wander and yawn amid the streets of Saint-Germain-des-Prés (a nice neighborhood, yes, but nothing like those in the 7th arrondissement -- as your spouse repeatedly reminds you), another couple who also departed CLE but flew Are Lingus to DUB, are tired, yes, but well fed and comfortably seated at their connecting gate, anticipating their midday flight to CDG. They arrive in early afternoon; their hotel room is ready in the 7th Arrondissement. Ironically, outside that establishment, stride you and your spouse, dead on your feet as you lament under your breath, "I should've flown Aer Lingus to Dub" and step in dog droppings.

RNE, short story auteur extraordinaire
And all along I thought your mantra was “KEF or bust”. I admire your flexibility.
lincolnjkc and RNE like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: UA
CLE airport rebuild

PD article on city asking airlines for $$ to fund new terminals/remodeling

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...t-rebuild.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.