Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Hide Wikipost
Old May 9, 16, 5:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 28, 22, 10:44 am
RNE

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
More details about the Aer Lingus flight
When it launches, this will be Cleveland’s only transatlantic flight. Cleveland’s last transatlantic service was on Icelandair and WOW Air, as the two Icelandic carriers announced flights to Cleveland in 2017 (right around the same time). Both airlines pulled out in 2018, citing weaker than expected demand.
I hope the flying public responds to this opportunity and that the subsidies aren't for naught. I further hope EI doesn't tout service to Ireland but instead Continental Europe. I still believe FI and WW did a disservice to themselves by touting Iceland as a destination instead of Continental Europe. I recall family and friends asking us, incredulously, "Why are you going to Iceland?" Answer: "Umm, we're going to Amsterdam actually."

RNE, itching to ask someone "Why are you going to New Jersey?" when they're connecting at EWR to Europe.

EDIT: Just saw this smart marketing on EI's website:

Cleveland's Connection to the UK and Europe

Experience seamless connections from Cleveland via Ireland to destinations across the United Kingdom and Continental Europe. Destinations include Amsterdam, Birmingham, Brussels, Donegal, Dusseldorf, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds-Bradford, London, Lyon, Manchester, Paris, Rome and Southampton.

Last edited by RNE; Sep 28, 22 at 11:32 am
Old Sep 28, 22, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by RNE View Post
I hope the flying public responds to this opportunity and that the subsidies aren't for naught. I further hope EI doesn't tout service to Ireland but instead Continental Europe. I still believe FI and WW did a disservice to themselves by touting Iceland as a destination instead of Continental Europe. I recall family and friends asking us, incredulously, "Why are you going to Iceland?" Answer: "Umm, we're going to Amsterdam actually."

RNE, itching to ask someone "Why are you going to New Jersey?" when they're connecting at EWR to Europe.

Experience seamless connections from Cleveland via Ireland to destinations across the United Kingdom and Continental Europe. Destinations include Amsterdam, Birmingham, Brussels, Donegal, Dusseldorf, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds-Bradford, London, Lyon, Manchester, Paris, Rome and Southampton.
It looks like some key cities are not listed as possible connections via DUB, including in Germany and southern Europe. I was actually just starting to plan a trip to LIS and BCN for next May-June, but EI doesn't appear to be an option. Without studying the timetables, I bet it has to do with flight times. Still good news for the region. I wonder which gate they will use and if business class passengers will have lounge access in CLE (either the United Club or The Club CLE).
Old Sep 28, 22, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K
Originally Posted by RNE View Post

Excellent news for the two people per year who want to travel from Cleveland to Donegal!
Old Sep 29, 22, 9:55 am
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134 View Post
It looks like some key cities are not listed as possible connections via DUB, including in Germany and southern Europe. I was actually just starting to plan a trip to LIS and BCN for next May-June, but EI doesn't appear to be an option. Without studying the timetables, I bet it has to do with flight times. Still good news for the region. I wonder which gate they will use and if business class passengers will have lounge access in CLE (either the United Club or The Club CLE).
Yeah, probably timing. I was looking for FCO without luck. But an extra day in DUB (to catch the next morning's onward flight) isn't a deal breaker.
Old Sep 29, 22, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I am surprised the city did not offer the same to other airlines Delta, British Airways, even United for similar service say to London or Paris. Nice its year round.
United started BOS-LHR its not a hub yes Boston much larger then CLE but Boston has lots of direct service to Europe already.
Old Sep 29, 22, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
I am surprised the city did not offer the same to other airlines Delta, British Airways, even United for similar service say to London or Paris. Nice its year round.
United started BOS-LHR its not a hub yes Boston much larger then CLE but Boston has lots of direct service to Europe already.
The big three may have data that show that CLE-Europe isn't viable.

David
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Sep 30, 22, 8:21 am

Programs: UA MM 1K
I am surprised the city did not offer the same to other airlines Delta, British Airways, even United for similar service say to London or Paris. Nice it’s year round.
United started BOS-LHR it’s not a hub yes Boston much larger then CLE but Boston has lots of direct service to Europe already.
BOS has four times the passenger totals of CLE. Considering it's not a hub, the O/D traffic for BOS is certainly higher than EWR (total traffic for EWR is a little higher but many are connections). BOS is also the closest major N. American airport to Europe. I'm not surprised at all they have significant Europe service while CLE has none so far.

edit: YUL is 16 miles closer to LHR than is BOS
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Sep 30, 22, 10:42 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
(Posting this from MetroHealth under the influence of IV narcotic goodness so apologies if coherence is lacking)

First, EI is generally a low cost structure airline so they can make thin routes work where "full fat" airlines would struggle with profitability even with subsidy.

Second, I would not be surprised if the city made a similar offer to other airlines and of EI was the only one to bite. DL/BA/AF also have very robust US-side captive(ish) feeder networks to Europe via either their own flights or joint ventures so the marginal traffic gains are probably not worth it relative to both real and opportunity (ability to use plane and crew elsewhere) costs.

(I'm also not entirely clear how much of this was started by the city approaching EI vs how much was EI approaching the airport which could also impact the players invited to play)
guy44134 and dergon darkhelm like this.
Old Sep 30, 22, 2:02 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
First, EI is generally a low cost structure airline so they can make thin routes work where "full fat" airlines would struggle with profitability even with subsidy. Second, I would not be surprised if the city made a similar offer to other airlines and of EI was the only one to bite. DL/BA/AF also have very robust US-side captive(ish) feeder networks to Europe via either their own flights or joint ventures so the marginal traffic gains are probably not worth it relative to both real and opportunity (ability to use plane and crew elsewhere) costs. (I'm also not entirely clear how much of this was started by the city approaching EI vs how much was EI approaching the airport which could also impact the players invited to play)
This!
guy44134 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 10:02 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Second, I would not be surprised if the city made a similar offer to other airlines and of EI was the only one to bite. DL/BA/AF also have very robust US-side captive(ish) feeder networks to Europe via either their own flights or joint ventures so the marginal traffic gains are probably not worth it relative to both real and opportunity (ability to use plane and crew elsewhere) costs.
However, British and Aer Lingus are both owned by IAG, so you can be sure BA is well aware of what the Irish are doing.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Yesterday, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
At a recent City Club forum, they were discussing the new Intel plant and it's potential impact on NEO. Intel will be bringing in many global partners to facilitate their supply chain, so that might provide some motivation to improve international air service to the region...

Jump to 47:25 for the question...
https://www.cityclub.org/forums/2022...conomic-growth

Search this Thread