Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old May 10, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
British Airways PIT-LHR starts first week of June seeing posts on Facebook. Just wounding have we even talked with them about starting service here. It’s been 23 years since CO started CLE-LGW.
Seasonal demand would be strong consisting of.
Business travelers going to Europe
local tourists going to London
Those connecting at LHR
Those coming here to use our world class medical facilities
Bringing tourists to visit NE Ohio

Many other similar size or smaller cities have service to Europe.
Old May 10, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
British Airways PIT-LHR starts first week of June seeing posts on Facebook. Just wounding have we even talked with them about starting service here. It’s been 23 years since CO started CLE-LGW.
Seasonal demand would be strong consisting of.
Business travelers going to Europe
local tourists going to London
Those connecting at LHR
Those coming here to use our world class medical facilities

Many other similar size or smaller cities have service to Europe.
Same issue as it's always been... CLE is dominated by *A, LHR is OW (as is PIT).
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Same issue as it's always been... CLE is dominated by *A, LHR is OW (as is PIT).
There's an awful lot of AA gates that I walk past in C on my way to the end of the banjo.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...travelers.html

At 0.73M miles on UA, I'd prefer to not take OW, but if UA needs to keep a differentiator against the encroaching AA, then maybe a *A option would be nice. but doubtful given the paring back of non-hub UA traffic out of CLE
Old May 11, 2022, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
There's an awful lot of AA gates that I walk past in C on my way to the end of the banjo.

At 0.73M miles on UA, I'd prefer to not take OW, but if UA needs to keep a differentiator against the encroaching AA, then maybe a *A option would be nice. but doubtful given the paring back of non-hub UA traffic out of CLE
American only flies to their hubs from CLE assuming LGA and JFK are considered AA hubs. Also, only two routes use mainline aircraft: DFW and CLT.

By contrast, UA still flies to something like eight or nine destinations from CLE in addition to their own hubs.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway

UA has been going where the traffic pays it to go (or where Network Planning has reason to believe the traffic will pay it to go) -- see, e.g. the point-to-point routes that were introduced. OTOH, UA (and [US?] airlines generally) are facing issues with staffing and for some routes aircraft availability -- with fuel prices and resource availability, UA (and I dare say INTL *A partners) are only going to serve CLE long haul if they can make it more worth their while on cargo and passenger volume at higher levels than they can deploying the AC on other routes. I don't think LON service is the differentiation that would be important based on CLE's traffic patterns (and AFAIK lack of significant urgent cargo feed either direction)

Service makes sense only if it's profitable -- and more profitable than other uses of the resources -- either individually, or as part of the larger route network. In UA's (or LH's) case CLE-LON doesn't really connect to feed on either end so would be almost entirely dependent on O/D traffic. CLE-FRA might stand a better chance but as I've noted before there's the issue of relative demand and profitability
Old May 11, 2022, 9:05 am
RNE

Spit my cornflakes out reading that knee-slapper.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
...reason to believe the traffic will pay...
Spot on. Northeast Ohioans have the dubious distinction of showing a blinkered disregard for nonstop service to Europe. Indeed, by a show of "likes" how many of you availed yourselves of the only nonstop TATL in the last 10 years, that of FI and WW?

RNE, expecting none.
guy44134 likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Spit my cornflakes out reading that knee-slapper.

Spot on. Northeast Ohioans have the dubious distinction of showing a blinkered disregard for nonstop service to Europe. Indeed, by a show of "likes" how many of you availed yourselves of the only nonstop TATL in the last 10 years, that of FI and WW?

RNE, expecting none.
Iceland is NOT Europe.
lincolnjkc, mrmoo and Wooglin like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
American only flies to their hubs from CLE assuming LGA and JFK are considered AA hubs. Also, only two routes use mainline aircraft: DFW and CLT.
While this is true most of the time, for the summer, AA is also flying some mainline flights to ORD and PHL from CLE.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:40 pm

Summer Schedule

FLL year round mainline

4 nonstops to DEN

IAD no mainline when they pulled out of DCA was suppose to add seats to IAD
Old May 13, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
IAD no mainline when they pulled out of DCA was suppose to add seats to IAD
Just checking random dates in June/July, UA is flying 4 nonstops daily CLE-IAD, 3 of the 4 are mainline (737). I was on CLE-IAD a couple weeks ago on an E175 and that's not a bad ride.
mrmoo, plinth857 and Wooglin like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Originally Posted by paule123
Just checking random dates in June/July, UA is flying 4 nonstops daily CLE-IAD, 3 of the 4 are mainline (737). I was on CLE-IAD a couple weeks ago on an E175 and that's not a bad ride.
Honestly I think seats 7C and 7D on the E175 are the best econ seats in the UA fleet.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:01 pm

So the airport hotel is closing city wants to add parking. Waste of prime land. What’s the future of concourse D sitting idle UA paying rent. Master plan needs clarified what they are doing. A new hotel needs to be added.
Old May 26, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
So the airport hotel is closing city wants to add parking. Waste of prime land. What’s the future of concourse D sitting idle UA paying rent. Master plan needs clarified what they are doing. A new hotel needs to be added.
No; one doesn't. Aside from being plenty of consumable rooms available in close proximity (in newer properties without the life safety issues that seem like they may be present reading between the lines of some of the court filings) it was discussed during the master planning process that the utility of an on-airport hotel at a non-hub airport is very liminted -- people don't go to an airport to stay at its hotel, they go to an airport for a specific destination which likely has a closer hotel. D, as also discussed in this thread during the master planning, is functionally obsolete and has no place in the future airport design.
mrmoo and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...rking-lot.html

I think this makes sense. I can't imagine many O&D travelers wanting to stay at the airport hotel, especially when it still requires a shuttle to get to the terminal. There are plenty of other close-by hotels for crew and travelers to stay at with shuttle service. I'd rather see more parking in the short-term.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:32 pm
RNE

Anybody who might stay at the hotels on or around Snow Road, would likely stay at an airport hotel. Unfortunately, the Sheraton Hotel is not that. As alluded to, it's just another "nearby" hotel with shuttle service. However, building a "real" airport hotel (connected to the airport via a moving walkway) would make sense. Like I said, if the offsite hotels fill rooms, so too would an airport hotel -- a true one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.