Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Hide Wikipost
Old May 9, 16, 5:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 14, 20, 1:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
For anyone interested (and kudos for them actually sending this out to past attendees):

Hello,

You are receiving this email because you attended the first Cleveland Hopkins International Airport Virtual Public Information Meeting. We are hosting a second meeting on October 14th from 6-7:30pm. You can register for this event here: https://clevelandairportmasterplan.com/workshops.php

We hope to see you there and look forward to insight you can offer about the work we've done so far on the Airport Master Plan.

Thank you,

CLE Virtual Meeting Coordinator
Old Sep 16, 20, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
IX Center Closing

The IX Center will be closing owners lost lots of money with the pandemic and no events. Would this be a suitable location to rebuild the airport. Not sure if runway location is a factor. New Control tower located not far away. Rebuilding a new terminal is needed. Congested roadways could be reconfigured. Maybe the master plan can take this into consideration.
Old Sep 16, 20, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
The IX Center will be closing owners lost lots of money with the pandemic and no events. Would this be a suitable location to rebuild the airport. Not sure if runway location is a factor. New Control tower located not far away. Rebuilding a new terminal is needed. Congested roadways could be reconfigured. Maybe the master plan can take this into consideration.
It's possible but I think it would require a major reconfiguration of infrastructure (roads, parking, etc) to fit it in and maintain appropriate clearances as far as the Runway Safety Area (RSA)/Taxiway Safety Area (TSA)/Obstacle Free Zone (OFZ) dimensions are concerned. It looks like the current fence lines for the IX center meet/exceed these distances (not by huge amounts, though) based on some quick Google Earth measurements which would mean having to push IX Center Drive would likely need to get realigned south to create enough space for a terminal building and ancillary needs (terminal roadways, close-in parking, pedestrian and vehicle circulation, RTA, etc.) which then probably has environmental concerns given the creek, etc. abutting and the nearby residences which I'm sure would raise NIM(literal)BY issues

Possible? Yes
Practical? Maybe
Likely? I'm not holding my breath
Old Sep 16, 20, 3:32 pm

I bet this will be factored into discussions on a new terminal.
Old Sep 17, 20, 5:04 am

If nothing else, the I-X property is a far better place for the rental car facility.

edit to add: Building a new terminal on the I-X Center site will also require relocating all of the freight facilities at CLE other than UPS (which is by NASA). There are more moving parts than simply building a new terminal at I-X and closing the old one. Extending the RTA line and building a new station will be a big job, too.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Sep 17, 20 at 6:54 am
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:43 am
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
The IX Center... Would this be a suitable location to rebuild the airport.
I believe a genius suggest that very thing... 12 years ago.

RNE, yours truly.
Old Sep 18, 20, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
With regard to the RTA station itís interesting Cleveland was one of the first cities with direct train service from a airport to the central city. However I think traffic from the airport is not great mostly employees. You could have a shuttle bus from the new terminal to the existing RTA station.
With regard to D concourse sitting vacant with no plan just United paying lease it was built where rental car lot was why not turn D into the rental car terminal.
Other airports due the same off site consolidated rental car facility PHX dies but I prefer to rent cars at the airport.
Old Sep 19, 20, 11:43 am

With regard to the RTA station itís interesting Cleveland was one of the first cities with direct train service from a airport to the central city. However I think traffic from the airport is not great mostly employees. You could have a shuttle bus from the new terminal to the existing RTA station.
With regard to D concourse sitting vacant with no plan just United paying lease it was built where rental car lot was why not turn D into the rental car terminal.
Other airports due the same off site consolidated rental car facility PHX dies but I prefer to rent cars at the airport.
Though I doubt any of this happens, one option would be to relocate the rental car facility to the current terminal parking structure. A shuttle bus to a new terminal at the I-X Center site would then serve the dual purpose of moving rental car passengers and those who want to take the RTA Red line.
Old Yesterday, 2:27 pm

Programs: Does it matter in 2020? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I have something fairly unrelated to ask.

Is there a recent, pre-Covid, graphic of standard flight approaches/takeoffs from CLE? I just moved here (Shaker) and considering buying on the West side, and want to steer far clear of the neighborhoods that sit in the normal flight paths/noise envelopes.

And, glad to see that pre-Covid, DL had a good chunk of the CLE traffic. It's been my go to biz airline for 15+ years, hate to have to rebuild status this late in the game.

Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by navi_jen View Post
I have something fairly unrelated to ask.

Is there a recent, pre-Covid, graphic of standard flight approaches/takeoffs from CLE? I just moved here (Shaker) and considering buying on the West side, and want to steer far clear of the neighborhoods that sit in the normal flight paths/noise envelopes.

And, glad to see that pre-Covid, DL had a good chunk of the CLE traffic. It's been my go to biz airline for 15+ years, hate to have to rebuild status this late in the game.

Thanks!
Howdy, new neighbor (Cleveland Heights, here) -- I can assure you that the East Side is the best side

Your best bet is probably to look at satellite imagery of the airport and draw an imaginary cone of about 15 degrees centered on the runway and extending 10 miles or so depending on your noise tolerances.

From anecdotal evidence The most common two approaches from the east come in roughly Cedar/Fairmount roads and then more or less straight in (I can see my house if I'm on the right side of the aircraft and then play count the landmarks from there through University Circle, downtown, finally to the airport -- but rarely actually hear anything (most of what I hear is actually CGF traffic) or in over the lake and hooking towards the airport just west of downtown.

From the west for me it's almost always in over the lake right turn over the lake inland until lined up with the runway, left turn and straight in, more rarely coming in south of the airport right turn to line up with the runway, another right turn and straight in
Old Yesterday, 5:05 pm

Programs: Does it matter in 2020? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Howdy, new neighbor (Cleveland Heights, here) -- I can assure you that the East Side is the best side
Thank you...the East v. West dilemma is killing me. I love the vibe/housing stock in Onaway and lower CH (I honestly thought I'd buy here), but being near the Valley and the Marina is a HUGE draw for me (pup likes to run a LOT off leash and I have a boat). I found a small neighborhood in Fairview Park (Coffinberry) that has mostly WWII homes, largish lots, abuts the Valley and is not outrageously priced (like, say Western Lakewood or northern Rocky River)...but it's not quite as scenic as CH/SH. Plus, being 1/2 hour closer to MI (family cabin is there) and DTW (for DL international directs) is a big plus. But I'm worried about flight noise.
Old Yesterday, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by navi_jen View Post
Thank you...the East v. West dilemma is killing me. I love the vibe/housing stock in Onaway and lower CH (I honestly thought I'd buy here), but being near the Valley and the Marina is a HUGE draw for me (pup likes to run a LOT off leash and I have a boat). I found a small neighborhood in Fairview Park (Coffinberry) that has mostly WWII homes, largish lots, abuts the Valley and is not outrageously priced (like, say Western Lakewood or northern Rocky River)...but it's not quite as scenic as CH/SH. Plus, being 1/2 hour closer to MI (family cabin is there) and DTW (for DL international directs) is a big plus. But I'm worried about flight noise.
Not sure where in MI the family cabin is but with Grandparents on the southern tip of the UP I can assure you if you're going that far the half our doesn't make a huge difference. If you're going to be flying from DTW on the other hand I can see that point (I'm not sure if they're still there but when CLE was hub for CO and NW were both in Skyteam there were plenty of non-stops between the two cities and it was like a 30 minute flight that saved a couple hours vs. going round the horn... did CLE-DTW-Pellston many times over the years for both work and pleasure (I swore off DL about 16 years ago so can't be of much help with the modern DL/post NW merger offerings though)

Just off my gut looking at Fairview Park relative to CLE (and its runways) except for unusual wind situations I think you'd be unlikely to get much aircraft noise since Fairview Park is north of but in the middle of the primary runways so it would have to be an odd flight path to be low enough over FP to make much noise in my experience... But if it's a significant concern you could always try visiting the neighborhood at a few different times of day -- perhaps a walk for doggo would be a good stakeout opportunity -- while you're on the east side your pup would probably appreciate Shaker Lakes if you haven't already come across that little oasis.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: