Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Originally Posted by moops380
Maybe the plane is 2/3rds chartered or something and they have the rest for the public? I've booked really random flights in europe (most don't appear on google flights even) that would usually be 80%+ a group, maybe for a cruise or something and they sell of the remaining seats for cheap. UA just doesn't sell them on the cheap.
I doubt this to be the case in this instance for a few reasons:
  1. The seat maps are empty
  2. Generally speaking for US airlines chartered flights are for big planes and they wouldn't share it
  3. This flight is currently operated by ExpressJet on an E175; if one wanted to charter such a small plane, it would be cheaper than United
I could be wrong, but it would be highly unusual. United has been known to sell positioning flights, but this seems odd so far in advance for that.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mrmoo
So on the United Map it still shows service from CLE to CHS. I did digging and it looks like the only nonstop flights scheduled I could find are on June 6th and June 13th (both directions). Does anyone know what might be going on in CLE or CHS that would warrant these one-off flights? Any reason why United would still show this route as a regular severed destination?
A "new" Chairman's flight?

David
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA
So on the United Map it still shows service from CLE to CHS. I did digging and it looks like the only nonstop flights scheduled I could find are on June 6th and June 13th (both directions). Does anyone know what might be going on in CLE or CHS that would warrant these one-off flights? Any reason why United would still show this route as a regular severed destination?
UA has had seasonal CHS Saturday flights each summer June/July. ExpressJet is the UAX carrier for those flights. Not sure if these will remain.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Are you a *G or a *S/general member? If you're *G you should have access at any club along the trip, likewise if the Business segment(s) is (are) operated by UA
If you're not a *G and the Business class flight is operated by a *A airline other than UA you have access only at the airport where your business-class flight is departing:

(https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html)

I don't believe that this has changed recently, but as a UA *G with a club membership I can't say I've paid close attention. I suspect this has to do with when/where the operating carrier is willing to or required to reimburse UA for the access by their business class passengers.
Not a *G anymore. In the past I have been and maybe I didn't notice it then either. Still silly.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
UA has had seasonal CHS Saturday flights each summer June/July. ExpressJet is the UAX carrier for those flights. Not sure if these will remain.
That's an interesting choice. I understand the Florida routes, but I can't imagine these have a lot of demand now, especially considering G4 start flying this route.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: UA
Looks like UA reduced LAX & SFO flights in April to once daily down from twice. I presume this is a response to COVID-19. Any other changes in CLE?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
British Airways

British Airways just picked up 12 additional slots at LHR. Are we talking with them. Nashville has a direct flight. Its been 20 years now since Continental started the direct flight to LGW.
RNE likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Seattle

Delta adding nonstop CMH-SEA. Alaska already flies the route. CLE Frontier only flies seasonal and not daily. Have we talked with Alaska. United flights were always very full CLE-SEA Last years of hub even had PDX nonstop.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
British Airways just picked up 12 additional slots at LHR. Are we talking with them. Nashville has a direct flight. Its been 20 years now since Continental started the direct flight to LGW.
I'd be very surprised if the city hasn't had conversations with a number of overseas carriers. In fact, there have been many PD articles over the past years quoting airport directors saying as much. That in mind, I doubt it'd be BA. Nashville is a tourist destination itself, I imagine there are some number to folks from Europe are heading to Nashville.

According to Wikipedia, Cleveland's overall metro area has a greater population than Nashville, but Nashville is a booming population market (15% growth vs about (1)% in CLE). Also keeping in mind that BNA was a former hub for AA, there are likely still a number of AA loyalists much like UA has in CLE.

Personally, I think the likely international carrier to move in would be either Aer Lingus or Lufthansa depending on the market capture. Lufthansa would be a more business-focused grab since it maintains *A for loyal frequent UA folks here, but Frankfurt is not a hot tourist destination and unless costs were low (unlikely), I think most people travelling to Europe for lesuire wouldn't care if the connection was in JFK/EWR/CLT/PHL/YYZ/etc. vs FRA. Aer Lingus typically offers better prices than the US legacy carriers and I believe Dublin would be a better tourist destination for a lot of folks in Cleveland. Just my two cents anyway.

I'm sure the city is continuing to make pitches to airlines without subsidies at all or very few. Personally, I'd prefer Cleveland keep its money to fix other issues in the City than to subsidize a foreign carrier.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
With the coronavirus and most airlines reducing their flights with up to 50%, I don't see anyone starting new routes anytime soon
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:33 am
RNE

...I think the likely international carrier to move in would be either Aer Lingus or Lufthansa
EI is way more likely than LH.

Originally Posted by gusd
With the coronavirus and most airlines reducing their flights with up to 50%, I don't see anyone starting new routes anytime soon
True, but NEO's problems transcend viruses.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
But that adds to the problem rather than help
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by RNE
EI is way more likely than LH.
Agreed. LH would only happen if UA also did some convincing and we know how UA feels about CLE. EI is probably what we'd end up with.

Originally Posted by gusd
But that adds to the problem rather than help
Both statements are true, this is a big picture discussion, happened before a virus and will happen after this situation calms down for airlines.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:24 pm

I'm sure the city is continuing to make pitches to airlines without subsidies at all or very few. Personally, I'd prefer Cleveland keep its money to fix other issues in the City than to subsidize a foreign carrier.
I agree it would be good if an airline would offer transatlantic service from CLE without subsidies, but that's not how the game is played for second-tier cities. But keep in mind, no money from the City of Cleveland's general fund is used to operate CLE. From the airport's website's FAQs:

How is the airport funded?

The Cleveland Airport System is an enterprise fund of the City of Cleveland, meaning that it is a self-sustaining operation. As such, all revenues earned by the airport must be spent solely for airport purposes. No local tax dollars are used to fund any projects or operations at the airport. The airport is funded by non-aviation related revenues (i.e., concessions and parking), aviation revenues (i.e., rents and landing fees), and federal grants. The airport has an annual operating budget of approximately $129 million.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: UA MM
A SkyTeam or OneWorld carrier will find more loyal bases than CLE to fly to. That leaves *A and which of those airlines is really a fit? As already mentioned, FRA is just a hub so doesnt do anything that EWR, ORD, or IAD cant already do unless youre trying to get somewhere small that doesnt have TATL service.

Agree with others that EI would be the best reasonable possibility.
RNE likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.