Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Hide Wikipost
Old May 9, 16, 5:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 20, 1:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
If you want a Basic Economy ticket on UA, yes, you'll see fares that look like NK's. The spread between UA's BE and discounted Y fare appears to be much higher on their LAX flights than on most if not all other routes.
But I think this is exactly what BE was designed to compete with and how it was intended to be leveraged vs the original $X fare diff off of low Y fares that most of BE is. If UA can sell "full" service at a higher price than the gutter that NK is dragging the low end into more power to them and they'd be stupid not to do so -- leaving money on the table if you will. West coast flights hardly seem empty -- at least when I'm on them.
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
If you want a Basic Economy ticket on UA, yes, you'll see fares that look like NK's. The spread between UA's BE and discounted Y fare appears to be much higher on their LAX flights than on most if not all other routes.
If you have the united credit card bags are included so it comes out better than spirit if the prices are close. Also if you book an award ticket its not BE, which is 6500-7500 avianca points/turkish your going to come out ahead unless its a really cheap fare. I don't chase status so doesn't bother me.
Old Feb 19, 20, 12:31 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by mrmoo View Post
I find it interesting that the "key business destinations" that they served, as soon as they discontinued some other carrier started either taking the service (DL on BOS, WN on MKE/STL) or increased capacity as AA is going to for LGA/DCA. I think it shows the demand is there, but UA has made its strategy clear that they do not want to do point-to-point anymore. Focus cities are not in UA's plans. Could that change? Sure, but I doubt it. I would like to see greater frequency over larger planes with less frequency.

With that said, unless I have a non-stop or a connection to Europe, I'm avoiding EWR, too risky.

Yet Delta and AA still do many point to point routes from CVG and STL. Going back to the 1960’s before deregulation and large hubs UA had many point to point routes from CLE. The issue at EWR and ORD long walks to gates for connections and lots of congestion. That was the nice thing about CLE and other smaller hubs.
Old Feb 19, 20, 12:41 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by guy44134 View Post
The master plan is finally underway. Let's hope they recommend a "go big" option that would replace the aging terminal, roadways, parking, etc.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...e-airport.html

Was just in FLL. Forty years ago when I lived there airports and roadway access looked the same. FLL has spent billions totally redeveloping and rebuilding the airport multi terminals and new roadways. Even the newer terminals are being upgraded. New security rebuilt includes UA terminal is nice. The city has done a terrible job managing the airport.
Old Feb 19, 20, 8:09 am
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
The city has done a terrible job managing the airport.
It's not surprising when you realize NEO is a hotbed of hodophobia.
Old Feb 19, 20, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
Was just in FLL. Forty years ago when I lived there airports and roadway access looked the same. FLL has spent billions totally redeveloping and rebuilding the airport multi terminals and new roadways. Even the newer terminals are being upgraded. New security rebuilt includes UA terminal is nice. The city has done a terrible job managing the airport.
I'm not going to argue your point about the city being a bad steward of the airport: I very much agree. Personally I think it's hard to manage an airport when there are other issues at hand that are likely seen as more important. So long as the airport "works" there's no reason to do anything. However FLL is a very different market than CLE and am not surprised to see it get better treatment.
RNE likes this.
Old Today, 8:04 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Post Update on Future Plans for Hopkins

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...-terminal.html

The Plain Dealer reports that as O/D increases, fees go down:
In 2019, Cleveland Hopkins’ cost per enplanement was $13.26, down from a high of $21.25 in 2014, the year that United Airlines pulled its hub from Cleveland.
Another interesting tidbit is a tease of terminal rennovation. As a WN spokesperson was quoted hinting at possible rennovation for B? Or new WN terminal? Kennedy also says new master plan may involve Concourse D.

“You hate to see [Concourse D] just sitting there. But that doesn’t mean we’re going to make a bad deal for the airport,” Kennedy said. “I think that [the city and United] both be reasonable.”
We'll see what happens. Personally, I don't think we need a new terminal although A and B could use some major updating. And the Bathrooms could also use a lot of work. If D is in the plans, there probably needs to be another way to get to it other than the underground walkway. It would be quite a hike from the check-in area.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: