Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 9, 16, 5:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 15, 19, 10:05 pm
  #1981  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CLE
Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Posts: 3,439
Icelander

Wounder what effect the grounding of the 737 Max will have on Cleveland service. Flight were to resume next week.
buckeyefanflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 7:29 am
  #1982  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,866
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
Wounder what effect the grounding of the 737 Max will have on Cleveland service. Flight were to resume next week.
How many UA MAXs serve CLE? I thought it was very few. Speaking of which, what of Icelandair's MAXs due in CLE month after next?
RNE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 1:10 pm
  #1983  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CLE
Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Posts: 3,439
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
How many UA MAXs serve CLE? I thought it was very few. Speaking of which, what of Icelandair's MAXs due in CLE month after next?
No UA Max flights. Southwest had a few.
buckeyefanflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:12 pm
  #1984  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: CLE
Programs: UA, AA Gold, DL, WN, Hertz 5Star, Hilton Silver
Posts: 341
So Southwest is adding service to Dallas Love Field. I make a monthly trip to Dallas, so I was excited! Then I found it was on Sunday only. What is the purpose of this route? Perhaps when Spirit's seasonal service is over in November, it will get some passengers, but the fares will be too low for a once weekly flight while Spirit is in the mix. It's a shame; DAL is a nice airport and pretty convenient. Hopefully, they are just "testing the market" and may have daily service later on.
plinth857 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 7:04 am
  #1985  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Programs: hoarding miles
Posts: 1,474
Originally Posted by plinth857 View Post
So Southwest is adding service to Dallas Love Field. I make a monthly trip to Dallas, so I was excited! Then I found it was on Sunday only. What is the purpose of this route? Perhaps when Spirit's seasonal service is over in November, it will get some passengers, but the fares will be too low for a once weekly flight while Spirit is in the mix. It's a shame; DAL is a nice airport and pretty convenient. Hopefully, they are just "testing the market" and may have daily service later on.
But at the same time, WN service to LAS is being cut to one day a week.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...ove-field.html
JerryGuitar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 7:55 am
  #1986  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: CLE
Programs: UA, AA Gold, DL, WN, Hertz 5Star, Hilton Silver
Posts: 341
Originally Posted by JerryGuitar View Post
But at the same time, WN service to LAS is being cut to one day a week.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...ove-field.html
I think they'll end up dropping that one entirely eventually, as long as Spirit and Frontier are both on that route.
plinth857 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 9:20 am
  #1987  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 677
Originally Posted by plinth857 View Post
I think they'll end up dropping that one entirely eventually, as long as Spirit and Frontier are both on that route.
I'm surprised even UA doesn't still fly this route (CLE-LAS). Okay, not all that surprised. LAS is a very large business destination with its perpetually active convention industry. I had a flight there recently, connecting through ORD, and it seemed like half the plane was Boarding Group 1 out of ORD. These are typically people who won't fly Spirit, etc. unless the fare is minuscule by comparison.

Airlines don't appear willing to test what the public will pay in many cases. For example, I think UA is leaving money on the table in the CLE-LAX route just because they think they're competing with Spirit.
JimInOhio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 11:01 am
  #1988  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Posts: 1,603
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
This may not (probably isn't) the thread for this but I've often wondered about the value proposition of CLEAR... and now that its coming to 'my airport' I guess the question is can someone sell me on why I'd want to pay $15 a month for it? So far as I can tell from observing it in action at DCA the only advantage over TSA PRE is that you use biometrics instead of showing an ID -- but for $15 a month I can take the 3 seconds it requires pull my drivers license out x 4 trips a month, TYVM, especially when it's at so few airports [excepting CLE and LAX, none of the airports I regularly begin or end a trip at appear to be hosting CLEAR]...

I feel like I have to be missing something, but looking at CLEAR's website I still can't figure out the value proposition...
Just signed up for it as soon as I saw it was available. Will complete my enrollment tonight. Gonna try it out for a year.

In CLE, especially for UA flyers the benefit may be not huge. But in some airports, like ATL, even the Precheck lines can be huge. CLEAR folks escort you to the front of the precheck line, so for example in ATL, that can save you 45 min of waiting around. In CLE, the pre-check line is never more than 10 min... so benefit won't be huge.

As a GS, I get this benefit in most major UA hubs by nature of the GS reception taking me to the front of the PRE-line.
LordHamster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:50 am
  #1989  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA, UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Posts: 642
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post
Just received an email from CLEAR that they are now open at CLE's Center and South checkpoints. I'm curious how that's going to work at the South checkpoint which I don't believe has full-time TSA Pre -- unless this means TSA Pre will be open whenever Clear is open or vice versa...
All CLEAR does is let you essentially skip the line for TSA agents to check your identity and boarding pass. It has no bearing on Pre-Check or vice versa. So, if you have both CLEAR and Pre-Check, you go to Central checkpoint (or South, when Pre-Check is available there, usually peak times during the morning). If you do not have Pre-Check, you go to the CLEAR lane at the South checkpoint. There are also 3 enrollment kiosks at each checkpoint along with staff at these to assist.

P.S. I no longer received notifications of new posts, although I'm subscribed to this thread. Any idea what I could do?
guy44134 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:56 am
  #1990  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 10,871
Originally Posted by guy44134 View Post
P.S. I no longer received notifications of new posts, although I'm subscribed to this thread. Any idea what I could do?
Report it in the Technical Support and Feedback forum:
Subscription notifications, questions, problems, etc.
guy44134 likes this.
TWA884 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 19, 6:47 pm
  #1991  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CLE
Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Posts: 3,439
Paris

Looking at Flight Radar24. Delta flight 500 from IND to
CDG Paris going right over Cleveland, if Indianapolis can have Paris flights why canít we. Continental only had the service for less then 4 months. The consolation for ending the route was switching London flight from Gadwick to LHR but service ended a few years latter.
Do we have full time professional people trying to get more Europe direct flights. If CVG and IND have a Paris direct flight we could support it.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Mar 19, 19 at 6:48 pm Reason: Spelling correction
buckeyefanflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 19, 11:38 pm
  #1992  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 677
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
Looking at Flight Radar24. Delta flight 500 from IND to
CDG Paris going right over Cleveland, if Indianapolis can have Paris flights why canít we. Continental only had the service for less then 4 months. The consolation for ending the route was switching London flight from Gadwick to LHR but service ended a few years latter.
Do we have full time professional people trying to get more Europe direct flights. If CVG and IND have a Paris direct flight we could support it.
Continental only operated CLE-LHR flights for one summer after several to/from LGW. When the route was dropped, they made a vague claim that the limited slots available at LHR were better served with additional flights from EWR or IAH.
JimInOhio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 4:46 am
  #1993  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ORD/CLE
Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
Looking at Flight Radar24. Delta flight 500 from IND to
CDG Paris going right over Cleveland, if Indianapolis can have Paris flights why canít we. Continental only had the service for less then 4 months. The consolation for ending the route was switching London flight from Gadwick to LHR but service ended a few years latter.
Do we have full time professional people trying to get more Europe direct flights. If CVG and IND have a Paris direct flight we could support it.
1) DL has consistently flown routes to CDG that aren't from their current hubs (PDX, until last year ORD, PIT).
2) CVG was a former DL hub, still has DL loyalists. IND isn't a former competitor's hub full of a competitor's loyalists. Most FF's in CLE are still UA loyalists that will connect in YYZ, IAD, EWR, etc. You're not going to fill up a 200+ seat plane from CLE daily.
3) The only route I see even remotely close to profitable is FRA on LH, but again you're not going to find 200+ people to fly that route every day. DTW can on LH because of the auto industry. CLE doesn't have that.
guy44134 and RNE like this.
rolltribe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 7:18 am
  #1994  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Midwest
Programs: DL PM, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold, Pre✓, Hertz PC
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by rolltribe View Post
1) DL has consistently flown routes to CDG that aren't from their current hubs (PDX, until last year ORD, PIT).
2) CVG was a former DL hub, still has DL loyalists. IND isn't a former competitor's hub full of a competitor's loyalists. Most FF's in CLE are still UA loyalists that will connect in YYZ, IAD, EWR, etc. You're not going to fill up a 200+ seat plane from CLE daily.
3) The only route I see even remotely close to profitable is FRA on LH, but again you're not going to find 200+ people to fly that route every day. DTW can on LH because of the auto industry. CLE doesn't have that.
IND is a former NW focus city, therefore sizable DL FF base
guy44134 and IndyHoosier like this.
MIDWESTERNFLYER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:53 am
  #1995  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,866
Originally Posted by rolltribe View Post
The only route I see even remotely close to profitable is FRA on LH.
NEO's homebodies would turn their noses up at the notion of flying to Frankfurt. "Where?!" It would escape them that FRA is a connecting point for countless destinations in Europe and beyond. Look how ignorant locals were about the same utility of KEF on FI. That said, I'd rather connect at DUB on EI, should that ever happen.
RNE is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread