Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Hide Wikipost
Old May 9, 16, 5:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 24, 17, 12:23 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE View Post
I saw what youíre referencing. Interesting if it comes to fruition. I hope so. But this is UA and CLE so...Iíll wait and see. Iíve always said that reopening Concourse D and increasing capacity could help relieve some of UAs of overcrowding at ORD & EWR.
Yes, but the CLE-cum-relief valve argument has been around for decades and was never truer than when CLE was CO's third largest hub. How'd that go?
Old Nov 24, 17, 1:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Yes, but the CLE-cum-relief valve argument has been around for decades and was never truer than when CLE was CO's third largest hub. How'd that go?
Yep. I mean when the merger was first announced it seemed that CLE would be a great backstop for both ORD and EWR particularly during the winter where those two seem to implode any sense of operational reliability with some regularity, but obviously network planning didn't see the traffic levels to bear that out.
IAD is still a hub (and ignoring the overcrowded, dank, chaotic slum that is the UAEX A gates) isn't terrible and doesn't seem to be overcrowded... If UA thought EWR was overcrowded and that that demand was elastic enough (e.g. connecting rather than O/D traffic trying to get to/from New York) I'd expect that traffic to head toward IAD before UA spent any appreciable effort rebuilding CLE.
RNE and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 4, 17, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE View Post
it seems UA has greatly reduced their seasonal nonstop offerings to RSW this season. MCO daily nonstop also reduced to less frequency. Is this the beginning of the end for these flights?
My notes from last year 2016-2017 season had UA doing CLE-RSW from 12/16 - 4/3

For 2017-2018, CLE-RSW appears to be 12/20 - 5/3, so if anything they added another month of service.

Of course it's hard to compete on that route when Frontier is selling tickets for $38. Fare breakdown for my upcoming Frontier CLE-RSW flight ... (yeah I splurged on a $25.00 advance seat selection)

Airfare $4.65
Options $25.00
Taxes and carrier-imposed fees $33.55

GRAND TOTAL $63.20
Old Dec 18, 17, 11:17 am

TSA has finally removed all the baggage scanners from the passenger side of the terminal. Not sure what this extra space is good for other than for improved foot traffic flow. CLE also put up big blue plastic signs on the back wall of the unused ticket counters next to AA and between AC and WN. Also got a shot of Allegiant's new gate A3. It was interesting that they made passengers sit on the plane on the tarmac waiting for a delayed outbound flight to exit gate A3 for more than 30 minutes yesterday, rather than using another common use gate (or even the empty A1) right next to their gate. Passengers weren't too pleased. It must save them money! Also Spirit looks to be using only A2 and A14 for overflow, and not the adjacent A6 that they have used since starting service at CLE in 2016. Wonder why.

North end of ticketing lobby next to AA

South end of ticketing lobby between AC and WN.

Gate A3
Old Dec 19, 17, 5:44 am

Programs: UA, AA Gold, DL, WN, Hertz 5Star, Hilton Silver
There's a Contract Air Cargo flight 9845 en route to CLE from EWR right now (7:45 AM Tuesday 12/19)... it's a 727! If anyone is at the airport and could snap a photo, that would be amazing. I haven't seen one of those in years!
Old Dec 19, 17, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857 View Post
There's a Contract Air Cargo flight 9845 en route to CLE from EWR right now (7:45 AM Tuesday 12/19)... it's a 727! If anyone is at the airport and could snap a photo, that would be amazing. I haven't seen one of those in years!
I know this isn't the flight mentioned above, but I couldn't resist sharing this picture of a beautiful 727-200F of Asia Pacific Airlines taken at a very rainy Pohnpei Airport in Micronesia on 11/7/17.
plinth857 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 18, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
When did UA drop the nonstop CLE-LAS ? Went to book a flight in February and Spirit, Frontier, Southwest are the only nonstop options

Remember the old CO days when they flew something like 3 n/s a day to Vegas and one of them was a 757... and the planes were full !
Old Jan 4, 18, 11:42 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post
When did UA drop the nonstop CLE-LAS ? Went to book a flight in February and Spirit, Frontier, Southwest are the only nonstop options

Remember the old CO days when they flew something like 3 n/s a day to Vegas and one of them was a 757... and the planes were full !
Nearly 2 years ago... I go to a trade show which alternates between Vegas and Orlando in June... I had booked CLE-LAS nonstop and around February of '16 I noticed that I had been reaccomed CLE-DEN-LAS.... part of the reason I remember that trip was because UA thought I'd be happy with doing CLE-DEN on an E145 (nopedy nope nope) and the agent who got me a more agreeable routing was a hoot on the phone. (I'm guessing Vegas being Vegas while the planes were full the yields were low so the aircraft was moved to a more profitable route)
Old Jan 4, 18, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by paule123 View Post

May 4, 2016. United Airlines cuts nonstop flights from Cleveland Hopkins to Las Vegas, St. Louis | cleveland.com
Old Jan 20, 18, 7:40 am

CLE posted 8.5% growth in 2017, totaling 9.14 million passengers, the most since 2011. Director Kennedy is predicting 9.5 pax in 2018. Interestingly enough, UA was the only carrier to reduce available seats in the market last year.

Cleveland Hopkins airport passenger traffic grows 8.5 percent in 2017, surpasses United hub years | cleveland.com
Old Jan 20, 18, 10:08 am
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by guy44134 View Post
CLE posted 8.5% growth in 2017, totaling 9.14 million passengers, the most since 2011. Director Kennedy is predicting 9.5 pax in 2018. Interestingly enough, UA was the only carrier to reduce available seats in the market last year.
Yeah, there are jam-packed flights to a handful of cherry-picked destinations. Big deal. Raw passenger count doesn't ameliorate the abysmal lack of nonstop service to CO/UA's yesteryear destinations, particularly for business travelers.

Case in point. TSMRSRNE is going on a business trip to a tiny, out-of-the-way, obscure city called Baltimore. Only WN offers nonstop service to BWI from CLE. Problem is WN's only end-of-business-day return leaves at a too-early 4:55 p.m. So, she's taking DL back via ATL and not getting home until midnight. Yeah, I know, boo-hoo. But still, back in CO/UA hub days, non-stop both ways wouldn't have been a problem.

Don't let passenger count fool you that CLE is "coming back." It's not.

RNE, suggesting the director stop patting himself on the back.
Old Jan 20, 18, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by guy44134 View Post

Cleveland Hopkins airport passenger traffic grows 8.5 percent in 2017, surpasses United hub years cleveland.com
AirTran/Southwest pulling out of CAK may have had something to do with that growth.
Old Jan 20, 18, 11:54 am

Yeah, there are jam-packed flights to a handful of cherry-picked destinations. Big deal. Raw passenger count doesn't ameliorate the abysmal lack of nonstop service to CO/UA's yesteryear destinations, particularly for business travelers.

Case in point. TSMRSRNE is going on a business trip to a tiny, out-of-the-way, obscure city called Baltimore. Only WN offers nonstop service to BWI from CLE. Problem is WN's only end-of-business-day return leaves at a too-early 4:55 p.m. So, she's taking DL back via ATL and not getting home until midnight. Yeah, I know, boo-hoo. But still, back in CO/UA hub days, non-stop both ways wouldn't have been a problem.

Sounds like she should drive if the only other option is an ATL connect. 5-6 hrs when you don't have to deal with the airport isn't that bad. If a driverless car existed it would be a no brainer. Good luck to her. SW bwi service used to be 4 or 5 a day, I wish it would not be 3, I will admit I hate driving for short trips when I know I will be picked up on the other end.
Old Jan 20, 18, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by moops380 View Post
Sounds like she should drive if the only other option is an ATL connect.
Or fly to DC and take a van to Baltimore.
Old Jan 21, 18, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriot Plat, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, National Exec

I think we all know CLE will never be a hub for UA or any other airline again. However, this passenger growth is the only way to get new routes form the likes of WN, BA, AS, B6 and others. It proves there is an O&D market, and there is no doubt itís a good thing.
guy44134 and Wooglin like this.

Search this Thread