Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page > Fire at the Chicago ARTCC. Ground Stop at ORD and MDW [moved from Travel News]

Fire at the Chicago ARTCC. Ground Stop at ORD and MDW [moved from Travel News]

Old Sep 27, 14, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
On the TV news just heard that MDW and MKE schedules are back up 100% today. I did not hear about ORD.
Old Sep 27, 14, 6:57 am

The latest news I have is ORD will be at 50% normal traffic volume today and Sunday.

Internationals and those who want to fly under 10000' have priority.

Living out near the Tracon facility and knowing a few friends who work out there. This guy knew exactly what to go for and exert maximum long term damage.
Old Sep 27, 14, 7:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
ABC News reporting as of this morning, hundreds of flights at ORD already cancelled, citing delays & air traffic capacity issues expected to last into early next week.

Quick glance at Flightstats & Flightboard live, appeared that about 50% of the scheduled flights have been cancelled.
Old Sep 28, 14, 9:39 am

'So, I'm gonna smoke this blunt and move on, take care everyone': Message of air traffic controller minutes before he set control tower on fire cancelling 2,000 flights and causing ongoing disruption

Brian Howard has been charged with setting a fire at an air traffic control tower in Aurora, Illinois earlier today

Before he started the blaze he wrote a cryptic post on Facebook alluding to what he was about to do, and saying he was going to 'smoke a blunt'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3EcZwGrcS
Old Sep 28, 14, 11:00 am

Programs: UA*G'18, NW, AA. WR(G), HH, IHG, Accor. GE.
Originally Posted by SanFranDan View Post
'So, I'm gonna smoke this blunt and move on, take care everyone': Message of air traffic controller minutes before he set control tower on fire cancelling 2,000 flights and causing ongoing disruption

Brian Howard has been charged with setting a fire at an air traffic control tower in Aurora, Illinois earlier today

Before he started the blaze he wrote a cryptic post on Facebook alluding to what he was about to do, and saying he was going to 'smoke a blunt'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3EcZwGrcS
Typical Daily Mail sloppyness. Was there ever a controller setting a tower on fire? I don't think so.
Old Sep 29, 14, 1:42 am

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Have normal operations resumed at ORD?
Old Sep 29, 14, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Minneapolis View Post
No, it is going to be sometime till ZAU is fully functional and the FAA has no timetable.
Old Sep 29, 14, 10:29 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ROCAT View Post
No, it is going to be sometime till ZAU is fully functional and the FAA has no timetable.
They do have a timetable: full operation by October 13th.
Old Sep 29, 14, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Minneapolis View Post
Flightstats has roughly 10% of scheduled flights out of ORD cancelled for today (mainly RJs), another 10% delayed by 30+ minutes, and the rest running reasonably on-time. Certainly not great, but a lot better than Friday/Saturday.
Old Sep 29, 14, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club
I learned a feature of the iPhone today where you can say to Siri, "planes overhead". Anyhoo, I just did that a little bit ago and it showed Aer Linus 125 flying at 40,000 feet above my location which is about 15 miles as the crow flies from MSP. I thought it very odd so I googled it and saw it was a DUB-ORD flight. I found that to be even more odd so I looked at it on Flight Aware. Then I remembered the fire. I wonder if they were planning on possibly diverting that aircraft to MSP while it was above Canada.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EIN125
Old Sep 29, 14, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
I learned a feature of the iPhone today where you can say to Siri, "planes overhead". Anyhoo, I just did that a little bit ago and it showed Aer Linus 125 flying at 40,000 feet above my location which is about 15 miles as the crow flies from MSP. I thought it very odd so I googled it and saw it was a DUB-ORD flight. I found that to be even more odd so I looked at it on Flight Aware. Then I remembered the fire. I wonder if they were planning on possibly diverting that aircraft to MSP while it was above Canada.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EIN125
Looks like it might have been flying around some weather on what would have been the normal flight path as well.
Old Sep 29, 14, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Looks like it might have been flying around some weather on what would have been the normal flight path as well.
It was an hour and six minutes late so I doubt it was its normal flight path. I guess it could have been weather though.

Search this Thread