Reload this Page >

The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:33 am

This is an awesome thread -- thanks to all who have chimed in!

If I want to grab a drink with a colleague at the bar at the Hancock, should I expect to be able to walk in and find a spot? Sevenish on a Sunday. If it's likely to be very busy, we'll head elsewhere.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:07 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Anna Phor

If I want to grab a drink with a colleague at the bar at the Hancock, should I expect to be able to walk in and find a spot? Sevenish on a Sunday. If it's likely to be very busy, we'll head elsewhere.
I suspect I'm like many of the Chicagoans on this thread when I say that it's been years -- maybe a decade -- since I was last at the bar so I have no idea. But I'd expect Sunday night to be less busy than the rest of the weekend. Regardless, go up, ask how long the wait is, gaze out the windows while deciding if you want to wait, then head to one of the awesome cocktail spots in the area. I'd recommend Drumbar, which is on a nearby roof though no where near as high as the Signature Lounge.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Hancock

Originally Posted by Anna Phor

Don't think you'll have a problem. We take visitors there now and then. You can see LONG lines for the observation deck, and virtually none for the bar. One of the best kept secrets since for almost the identical price, at the bar you get a drink (not a very good one, mind you) and a table--same view.

Drumbar is a good alternative if you need one--better drinks but view not the same
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:27 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
* Maude's Liquor Bar
My Pop had wanted a seafood tower for Father's Day so we went last Friday night to Maude's Liquor Bar which according to Chicago Tribune food critic Phil Vettel has a very good tower (article here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining...401-story.html )

We started with the steak tartare and foie gras pate. Both were excellent.

For the tower, we had Maude's Tower. All the seafood was terrific, certainly scratched the seafood tower itch. Included were 18 oysters (9 each of East & West coast), 1/2 lobster, 1.5 lbs or so of king crab, 18 shrimp, salmon ceviche (only item that was just ok). Nice touch was that for the crab & lobster, Maude's had cut the meat into individual pieces but then placed back in the shell. Maude's does not serve clams, something my Pop and I had wanted to have but that means we'll just have hit up a place that does serve!

Service was quite prompt, friendly, not overbearing. The front stand hosts on the other hand, just not friendly in the least.

We enjoyed a couple bottles of a nice French Chablis with dinner, the markup was substantial, certainly not a value liquor place.

Maude's Liquor Bar
840 W Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60607
(312) 243-9712
http://www.maudesliquorbar.com/
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Elsewhere in this forum I just posted a review of the gigantic new Chicago Lagunitas Brewery. A lot of fun.

Not far away is Three Floyds in Munster, IN, truly one of the great breweries in the world. Their flagship beer, Zombie Dust, is considered the very best hoppy Pale Ale on earth and IMO cannot be improved upon. Unfortunately, they have a somewhat non-customer-friendly vibe and the employees are mostly young heavily-tattooed slacker doofuses. But some the beer really is exceptional. People fly here from Europe to visit.
Three Floyds service has greatly improved now. In addition to their awesome beers, the food is very good. Their menu is not your typical beer pub menu either.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
A good alternative to the Hancock is the rooftop at Cindys. It's only 13 floors up but has a much better (open air) atmosphere.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Mileage Plan
5 pages into this thread and no one has mentioned Pequods? Shameeeee

For me personally it's between Lou's and Pequods as far as deep dish goes. Both have fantastic crust for different reasons. Lou's (buttercrust of course) is great, very crunchy, but Pequods has this caramelized crust which is outstanding. If thin crust is what you're after, I'd recommend Aurelio's for that, GREAT sauce.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: Platinum
We had a long layover at ORD earlier today this summer, so we decided to catch up with my wife's cousins for breakfast at Longman & Eagle, a block from the Logan Square Blue Line Station. Pretty convenient location for the locals, and great food. We took the Blue Line from ORD, and got back in time for our flight out.
chgoeditor and gretchendz like this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lubey
5 pages into this thread and no one has mentioned Pequods? Shameeeee
Some of us would not call deep dish pizza "un-touristy".
But I live walking distance from it, and agree it's among the best if that's what you want.

But probably the other reason it's not mentioned:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwe...g-between.html
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:31 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Kevin Pang, who previously was a food writer for the Tribune and now writes for the blog The Takeout has a great list of places to eat if you're only in Chicago for 24 hours. It's definitely worth a read, and while Chicagoans would probably suggest a half-dozen equally great options for each of his stops (except perhaps breakfast at Tortas Frontera at O'Hare -- and do NOT be tempted by Publican at O'Hare), it's a solid introduction to Chicago.
aktchi likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Kevin Pang, who previously was a food writer for the Tribune and now writes for the blog The Takeout has a great list of places to eat if you're only in Chicago for 24 hours. It's definitely worth a read, and while Chicagoans would probably suggest a half-dozen equally great options for each of his stops (except perhaps breakfast at Tortas Frontera at O'Hare -- and do NOT be tempted by Publican at O'Hare), it's a solid introduction to Chicago.
I've always liked his articles, back to the Trib days, but expected this to be either silly tourist stuff or elitist foodie fads. It was neither. I don't understand the inclusion of Garrett's on the list, but otherwise agree that this is a good introduction to our food...not all the best restaurants, but a good representation of the Chicago food scene. Including Rick Bayless, Paul Kahan, and Grant Achatz establishments on the list and selecting Italian beef over deep dish makes it legit.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:35 am

Any hotel recommendations for the Downtown area. Never been to Chicago. Don't really have no hotel loyalty but narrowing down to either a Hilton or Marriott brand that includes breakfast at least. This would be for 2 for about a week or so in the next couple of months. Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Depends

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Any hotel recommendations for the Downtown area. Never been to Chicago. Don't really have no hotel loyalty but narrowing down to either a Hilton or Marriott brand that includes breakfast at least. This would be for 2 for about a week or so in the next couple of months. Thanks.

Do you want to be on north end of Michigan Avenue (shopping, Water Tower Place) or near Millennium Park (Art Institute) or somewhere in between? There are many solid choices.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:37 am

Was thinking Downtown/Mag Mile
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Was thinking Downtown/Mag Mile
If you desire free breakfast, but don't have status with either chain, your best choices are probably Residence Inn River North or it's brother SpringHill Suites next door on Dearborn, Fairfield Inn River North on Clark (or it's brother Hyatt Place next door) or Embassy Suites on State St. While neither is *on* Magnificent Mile, all are close enough and are likely to be less expensive than full service properties on Michigan Ave. I haven't stayed at the Embassy Suites, but the rest are fairly new or recently renovated properties, not your typical suburban extended stay hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.