Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I was an unplanned Chicago tourist in late 2020. I enjoyed an architectural cruise and I rented a road bike and rode from navy pier all the way south and then all the way to the north and back on the greenway along the lake. It's quite a ride. I'd describe myself as fit, but not a regular cyclist. Great views especially from the south ends of the trail back towards downtown.
Frankly that sounds like a prety great unplanned trip. I would suggest more unplanning like this in the future.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Frankly that sounds like a prety great unplanned trip. I would suggest more unplanning like this in the future.
I can't complain! I had never been to Chicago before. I had a snafu with a "results not returned" lab error on a COVID test where I could re-schedule my Qatar flight but not my connecting flight to ORD and ended up with a bonus day. I believe I clocked about 45 miles on the bicycle.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I can't complain! I had never been to Chicago before. I had a snafu with a "results not returned" lab error on a COVID test where I could re-schedule my Qatar flight but not my connecting flight to ORD and ended up with a bonus day. I believe I clocked about 45 miles on the bicycle.
If you're ever back on Memorial Day weekend, Lake Shore Drive closes for most of Sunday morning so people can bike on it. Off the top of my head, I think it's 30 miles total, and while there's an "official" starting point, you can really join and leave at any point.
TWA884 and DeepUnderground like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:01 am

Suggestions

Great thread! Next Monday I got a 12 hour layover 6am-6pm. Any suggestions on what I can do that keeps me close to the airport and won’t cost much? I prefer being outside if weathers decent. Thanks!
Old May 26, 2022, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Missylob
Great thread! Next Monday I got a 12 hour layover 6am-6pm. Any suggestions on what I can do that keeps me close to the airport and won’t cost much? I prefer being outside if weathers decent. Thanks!
Blue Line to Logan Square or Wicker Park.
gfunkdave and pudgym29 like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really you could just also take the blue line downtown too. 12 hours is a long time.

if it's raining you can go to a museum too. If it's not raining you can check out Millennium Park and the downtown lakefront, then take the blue line back up to Bucktown/Wicker Park for lunch or shopping, then back up to O'Hare.
BCH, TWA884 and CLEguy like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
If you're ever back on Memorial Day weekend, Lake Shore Drive closes for most of Sunday morning so people can bike on it. Off the top of my head, I think it's 30 miles total, and while there's an "official" starting point, you can really join and leave at any point.
Bike The Drive seems to be moved permanently to Labor Day as of last year and this year.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Hi folks,

I'm coming for a few days for the marathon next month, and apart from marathon day itself and the need to pick up my race number on Friday morning, I'm leaving the rest of my time unplanned. I'll generally just explore, although I'm thinking about doing an Architectural Boat Tour. I'll probably get a CTA pass and travel round on the L - I don't mind a bit of public transport. I'm guessing it's reasonably straightforward?

I quite like craft beer and casual dining, and I'm going to be travelling on my own. Are there any particular areas I might like to hang out? I'm staying in the Loop opposite the Willis Tower and I don't see much there of an evening, so I figure I'll need to go out.

Strange question, I'm travelling light, I'll obviously have my marathon running shoes, some comfy shoes for after the marathon, and possibly a pair of Chuck Taylors. Do I need "proper" shoes for a casual evening out in Chicago? There are some towns in the UK where sneakers are an absolute no-no, even for a few pints in a pub.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
I quite like craft beer and casual dining, and I'm going to be travelling on my own. Are there any particular areas I might like to hang out? I'm staying in the Loop opposite the Willis Tower and I don't see much there of an evening, so I figure I'll need to go out.
There are plenty of great food options, from casual to fine dining, in the West Loop and Fulton Market area, right across the river from where you will be staying. Here are a couple of lists, 1, 2; there are plenty of other worthy options. All you need to do is stroll by to see what appeals to you.

Strange question, I'm travelling light, I'll obviously have my marathon running shoes, some comfy shoes for after the marathon, and possibly a pair of Chuck Taylors. Do I need "proper" shoes for a casual evening out in Chicago? There are some towns in the UK where sneakers are an absolute no-no, even for a few pints in a pub.
While I am sure that there are a couple of places that may care, I can't think of a single restaurant that is going to pay attention to the type of shoes that you'll be wearing.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
There are plenty of great food options, from casual to fine dining, in the West Loop and Fulton Market area, right across the river from where you will be staying. Here are a couple of lists, 1, 2; there are plenty of other worthy options. All you need to do is stroll by to see what appeals to you.

While I am sure that there might be a couple of places that may care, I can't think of a single restaurant that is going to pay attention to the type of shoes that you'll be wearing.
That photo is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. You mentioned the Fulton Market on another thread, didn't you? Looks like that's going to be my main evening focus. That's basically just across the river, isn't it?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:20 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
That photo is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. You mentioned the Fulton Market on another thread, didn't you? Looks like that's going to be my main evening focus. That's basically just across the river, isn't it?
Yes, I did and it is right across the river.

I am a big fan of the area. Actually, I am at my daughter's apartment in the West Loop and looking at the Willis Tower, which is approximately half a mile away, as I am typing this. Randolph Street - Chicago's "Restaurant Row" - and Fulton Market are a few blocks north of where I am.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:01 pm

I quite like craft beer
Boy howdy do I have you covered. You'll want to head to West Town for beer. In a few block radius you have a bunch of places:
  • Midwest Coast
  • On Tour Brewing
  • District Brew Yards (a pour-your-own place with the beer from four or five onsite breweries)
  • Goose Island (the actual brewhouse)
  • Finch
A bit farther out you've got Pilot Project and Orkenoy in the Logan Square area, Dovetail and Begyle in Avondale, and many many more. An Eater guide is here. You will NOT go wrong in the best beer city in America.

It's a casual town, feel free to come as you are.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:39 pm

• District Brew Yards (a pour-your-own place with the beer from four or five onsite breweries)
​​​​​That place looks awesome!
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The west loop is good for restaurants but that's all it is. It doesn't ever feel to me like a neighborhood, just an agglomeration of semi-spendy to outrageously overpriced places to eat and drink.

I'd also suggest taking the Blue Line to Wicker Park and walking around (get off at Damen). Or take the Red Line to Lincoln Park (stop: Fullerton) or Lakeview (stops: Belmont or Addison) or Andersonville (stop: Argyle or Bryn Mawr).

A bit farther out you've got Pilot Project and Orkenoy in the Logan Square area, Dovetail and Begyle in Avondale, and many many more. An Eater guide is here. You will NOT go wrong in the best beer city in America.
OK that "best beer city in America" is utter and total nonsense. I am getting upset just thinking about it. If it had said either of the Portlands or perhaps even Denver, I'd have nodded my head. But Chicago? Come ON. That list was written by someone who either a) doesn't much like beer and was just trying to write an article, or b) was paid to say that. The breweries here are mediocre at best. Half Acre is the only half decent (see what I did there? ) one. I'd say that, while "craft brewing" has caught on and is a thing in some places, it is still trying to figure itself out here. Moving to Chicago from Portland (Maine) was a real letdown in terms of local beer. But on the bright side, I lost some weight because I'm not drinking beer so much these days.

And if OP would like to go to Half Acre, it's a super easy and fast train ride on the Metra UP-N line to Ravenswood, then walk or take the Brown Line to Damen and walk. Or just Uber. And there are a few other breweries right there to try as well.

And if you'd like a dive bar downtown with a lot of local and non-local beers, check out Rossi's Liquors (on Clark, just north of the river). A real flavor of old-time Chicago but with a better beer selection.

But I will agree that the only places that would object to certain footwear would be uber fancy places with dress codes, which are rather rare. If you're not going to a club or a 3 star restaurant, then it's not a concern.

I'll have to check out District Brew Yards though!

Last edited by gfunkdave; Sep 13, 2022 at 2:21 pm
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The west loop is good for restaurants but that's all it is. It doesn't ever feel to me like a neighborhood, just an agglomeration of semi-spendy to outrageously overpriced places to eat and drink.

I'd also suggest taking the Blue Line to Wicker Park and walking around (get off at Damen). Or take the Red Line to Lincoln Park (stop: Fullerton) or Lakeview (stops: Belmont or Addison) or Andersonville (stop: Argyle or Bryn Mawr).
Agree completely. West Loop is fine. But it's not particularly interesting.

OK that "best beer city in America" is utter and total nonsense. I am getting upset just thinking about it. If it had said either of the Portlands or perhaps even Denver, I'd have nodded my head. But Chicago? Come ON. That list was written by someone who either a) doesn't much like beer and was just trying to write an article, or b) was paid to say that. The breweries here are mediocre at best. Half Acre is the only half decent (see what I did there? ) one. I'd say that, while "craft brewing" has caught on and is a thing in some places, it is still trying to figure itself out here. Moving to Chicago from Portland (Maine) was a real letdown in terms of local beer. But on the bright side, I lost some weight because I'm not drinking beer so much these days.
Wow! Someone didn't have their Frosted Flakes this morning.

And if you'd like a dive bar downtown with a lot of local and non-local beers, check out Rossi's Liquors (on Clark, just north of the river). A real flavor of old-time Chicago but with a better beer selection.
If there's one thing that Chicago is world class in, it's dive bars. The absolute best ones are cash-only.
gretchendz and pudgym29 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.