Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no free wifi at ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Why no free wifi at ORD?

When I was traveling out of O"Hare Chicago last May. I wasn't too happy that I can't get internet on my iPad. O'Hare asked me wifi to pay for an hour. I don't like to pay wifi. I would like to get free wifi. I don't know why they want all the money for? I was in Phoenix and Denver. There is free wifi. I don't know why Chicago is not free wifi. I went to Starbucks O'Hare no wifi from Starbucks. Yikes! Why they don't provide Starbucks' own wifi at O'Hare?

Thanks,

Stuart
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the FT Chicago Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2K
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:59 am

It does, just not the type you want.

http://www.flychicago.com/business/E...spx?ItemID=877

Believe it or not, everything in life isn't free or should be handed out for free just because you want something.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ords
It does, just not the type you want.

http://www.flychicago.com/business/E...spx?ItemID=877

Believe it or not, everything in life isn't free or should be handed out for free just because you want something.
Thanks for the link. Didn't know that.

Given that other airports in the US (and rest of world) offer free wifi (not limited to news sites or Yelp etc), asking why ORD doesn't yet offer it is a legitimate question. One I've asked myself when transiting ORD many times

Cheers.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the link. Didn't know that.

Given that other airports in the US (and rest of world) offer free wifi (not limited to news sites or Yelp etc), asking why ORD doesn't yet offer it is a legitimate question. One I've asked myself when transiting ORD many times

Cheers.
Airports in the rest of the world maybe, but from my experience most airports in the US do not. There are some exceptions like ATL, BOS, and JFK T5 (those are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I've been too spoiled by airport lounges as of late

But TBH, OP’s post does sound kind of like a child saying "I want this for free, so why can't I get it for free?"
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Stuart John Gilbert
When I was traveling out of O"Hare Chicago last May. I wasn't too happy that I can't get internet on my iPad. O'Hare asked me wifi to pay for an hour. I don't like to pay wifi. I would like to get free wifi. I don't know why they want all the money for? I was in Phoenix and Denver. There is free wifi. I don't know why Chicago is not free wifi. I went to Starbucks O'Hare no wifi from Starbucks. Yikes! Why they don't provide Starbucks' own wifi at O'Hare?

Thanks,

Stuart
Why no free beer either? I would like to get free beer. I dont like to pay for beer. I suspect I have to pay because people are willing to pay for it.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Status Free
OP is Hearing Impaired

I took the time to look at the OP's other posts. He is hearing impaired and English is not his first language, American Sign Language is. Different syntax and grammar.

I think his written English is quite good for an ASL speaker.

I also think FT has gotten more and more unwelcoming. Several threads on several forums over the last week are downright ugly.

It's a shame and it probably keeps many people away.

By the way, OP, a belated welcome to Flyer Talk.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ediemac1

I also think FT has gotten more and more unwelcoming.
Agreed on both points. Welcome, OP.

If there were some way for a friend/relative of the mayor to make money on it, there'd be free wifi at ORD.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Airports in the rest of the world maybe, but from my experience most airports in the US do not. There are some exceptions like ATL, BOS, and JFK T5 (those are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I've been too spoiled by airport lounges as of late
Actually there are quite a few airports in the US that offer free wifi. Google is your friend . Airline lounges are ok, but I've run into some whose wifi runs slower than molasses (yes I'm looking at you United Clubs). And not every airport has an airline lounge.

I took the time to look at the OP's other posts. He is hearing impaired and English is not his first language, American Sign Language is. Different syntax and grammar.

I also think FT has gotten more and more unwelcoming. Several threads on several forums over the last week are downright ugly.

Agree & thanks for posting both points. And welcome to the OP.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

If there were some way for a friend/relative of the mayor to make money on it, there'd be free wifi at ORD.
Agree

Cheers.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marvanit
Why no free beer either? I would like to get free beer. I dont like to pay for beer. I suspect I have to pay because people are willing to pay for it.
That's not a point issued free for anything. I noticed some airports have free wifi internet. I was in Akron,OH (KCAK). It was free wifi. Why don't they get free wifi all of the airports in USA? They are greedy and stealing money people out of pocket. There is so many people in Chicago all they want to steal your money! It's so WRONG! Am I stupid to pay for it for wifi at O'Hare? NO! They are stupid, too.

Thanks,

Stuart
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:18 pm

I didn't realize. Thanks for posting that. A belated welcome to FT to the OP.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

That's not a point issued free for anything. I noticed some airports have free wifi internet. I was in Akron,OH (KCAK). It was free wifi. Why don't they get free wifi all of the airports in USA? They are greedy and stealing money people out of pocket. There is so many people in Chicago all they want to steal your money! It's so WRONG! Am I stupid to pay for it for wifi at O'Hare? NO! They are stupid, too.

Thanks,

Stuart
It costs money to install and run a wifi system. While some places let people use it without an explicit charge, the cost for installing and running it is gotten back via other charges. Did you ever wonder why coffee is so expensive at Starbucks? It is because some of that cost pays for the "free" wifi.

Airports which have "free" wifi may charge airlines more to land there, leading to higher ticket costs which pay for the "free" wifi.

They are not stealing, and they are not stupid. Greedy... yeah, probably.

TANSTAAFL
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:45 am

OP,

Just so you can imagine. ORD has 66MM people a year moving through it, now can you even imagine if half was to log on via their smartphone, laptop, tablet and using wifi the data usage there would be.

Are you willing to pay a higher ticket cost to use "free" wifi for 20-30 minutes while you wait in the gate area?

Yes, it would be nice for ORD to offer it, but as a business, it's not financially feasible to do so on ORD's scale.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Realistically, what does wifi cost at an airport? Something like $10 for a 24 hour pass or so? Seems pretty reasonable. And if you don't want to pay for wifi regularly, you can always get an LTE hotspot. But it seems silly to say that something should be free just because one wants it to be free.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Thanks,

Stuart
Unfortunately, there is no free wifi at ORD & MDW. You should read the entire website. Here is the link:

http://www.wififreespot.com/airport.php

Or if you want to post on Facebook at Chicago O'Hare International Airport. Ask for it.

https://www.facebook.com/ohareairport

Go ahead. Ask them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.