Why no free wifi at ORD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no free wifi at ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
It isn't what the vendor pays for the water. Its the ghastly high fees they pay to be allowed to have their shop, the way they need to use airport employees (this may have changed?), along with the millions of layers of fees/bribes they have to pay to get in in the first place. I live in Chicago, I love Chicago, but it is corrupt to the core.
There's your real reason. If the mayor or some alderman's cousin ran an ISP, I promise you there would be free wifi at ORD.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyingill
Coming from Chicago, I am surprised at the free Wifi at airports. If Chicago charged for restrooms, then everyone would use them on the plane and the plane would be full of our stuff rather than Chicago.
Chicago is expensive and so are other city airports. High prices in other cities do not phase me as they are the same as they are in Chicago. We get paid more in Chicago b/c our other expenses or more...expensive.
We have more problems in Chicago than Wifi (mayor, potholes, lack of staff and recycling in schools, taxes, gangs, transit).
DCA and IAD have free wifi access.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: MP 1P, QF Silver, WN CP, HH Diamond, PC Spire, SBUX Gold
Bottom line

Originally Posted by GUWonder
DCA and IAD have free wifi access.
Chicago political corruption > Washington / Moscow (DME & SVO have free wifi) / Beijing (PEK) / heck even Caracas (CCS) has free wifi

Guess there is no correlation between free airport wifi in a given city and the dishonesty of the city's politicians, or I live in one of the most corrupt places in the world.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by xaliasx
Chicago political corruption > Washington / Moscow (DME & SVO have free wifi) / Beijing (PEK) / heck even Caracas (CCS) has free wifi

Guess there is no correlation between free airport wifi in a given city and the dishonesty of the city's politicians, or I live in one of the most corrupt places in the world.
I think the most corrupt place in the world wins out.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:48 am

I was surprised I had to pay for wifi at a few airports, but not at others. I still have to pay for it at some hotels too but not at others. I live with it, thankful that I have a smart phone with an unlimited data plan on it within the US I can use. When traveling internationally, then I will use my kindle and pick up a signal, and if I have to pay a bit I will.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:52 am

Chicago is a laggard in this department. It is an insanely busy airport that brings in plenty of revenue, some of which can be diverted to swallowing the cost for free public wi-fi. If dozens of other major US airports can do it, ORD sure as hell can.

In the year 2014, where internet connectivity is a necessity (especially for business travelers who might want to accomplish some work on layovers), free wi-fi is a DUH proposition.

By the way, isn't Chicago supposed to be a "progressive" or forward-thinking city? Heck, they even released llamas and goats into the airport fields to clear away the brush, so talk about being granola. Mayor Emanuel wants to make the city the most bike-friendly in the country. The city's efforts to cultivate this progressive image doesn't jive with the paywall policy.

Obviously, the city is more concerned with raising more revenue in the short-term. Withe competing pressures from other airports, I think the paywall will fall in due time.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I was at ORD a couple weekends ago. My phone detected a link for "free wifi," but I could not get it to work.

So who knows?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was sitting outside the United Club near T1, C17 to try & pick up its signal when I noticed a free wifi at ORD option (w/ 5 bars/good strength; better than the UC's). Clicked on free wifi & it worked. It's being sponsored by companies I think. You have to watch a 15 second ad & then you can either go to the sponsor's site or say no thanks & just do your normal surfing, email, etc.

Not sure if that's true for the entire airport, but if it is it's worth watching a 15 second ad

Cheers.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Randomized
Obviously, the city is more concerned with raising more revenue in the short-term.
Welcome to Chicago.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I was at ORD a couple weekends ago. My phone detected a link for "free wifi," but I could not get it to work.

So who knows?
These may or may not be legitimate. Just be careful when connecting to these that they aren't spoofed and actually allowing unwanted access to your device.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
These may or may not be legitimate. Just be careful when connecting to these that they aren't spoofed and actually allowing unwanted access to your device.
It seemed legit when I accessed it. It's similar to the free wifi set-up in LAS. You click on the free wifi link, info re: airport comes up which you have to agree to (the usual disclaimers/lawyer speak), then info re: sponsor, you have to watch the 10-15 second 'ad' from the sponsor, then you can continue to the sponsor's site (presumably which is why they're underwriting it) or say no thanks & then just access email, FT, etc. I accessed the ORD free wifi on my Kindle Fire HD, not a mobile phone or laptop.

Cheers.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Sounds like the AWG system that MSP and DTW have... pay or free with an ad.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:41 am

I don't know if someone mentioned this before but I just found out if you have Time Warner Cable internet at home you can install their app on your phone/tablet/laptop to get FREE wifi. I did a location search at ORD is covered.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/in...-hotspots.html
Old May 25, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
An airport has free escalators so you can move about. It has free toilets. Free drinking fountains. When traveling, communication with others about your flights and such seems as much a necessity as anything else.

We pay plenty of money in fees to the airport (and we all know these fees vary widely) to fly in. Most of us spend a money while here on food and the like.

Shameful not to have internet. Bangkok airports are finally getting free wifi but before, as a traveler, you don't really have access to their payment systems. I couldn't get it to work. Travelers to the US must really be befuddled.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Heads up!

Both ORD & MDW is now offer free unlimited wifi.

Midway, O'Hare start offering free, unlimited Wi-Fi: city - Chicago Tribune
chgoeditor likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Exclamation Spoofing.

Originally Posted by N830MH
Heads up!
Both ORD & MDW now offer free unlimited wifi.
Midway, O'Hare start offering free, unlimited Wi-Fi: city - Chicago Tribune
Originally Posted by Monty Python
We now take you back to the interview programme where we understand something interesting has happened.

I've fallen off my chair, Brian.
I am surprised by this. However, I will capitalize on it the next time I fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.