Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Finding good bagels and "New York City style" breakfast in Chicago?

Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

While living in Chicago has more than a few perks, I've not been able to find a half-decent bagel shop. Anyone know of anything remotely close to what I'm used to back home? Tried CBA and NYC Bagel Deli, both of which were awful. I've heard Highland Park has some places but don't have any specifics.

Also, anyone with a line on a place serving NYC-style breakfast (bacon egg and cheese sandwiches, pepper and eggs, etc), can you help me out?

Much appreciated!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Bagels:
Kaufman's in Skokie. Currently closed for remodeling.
http://kaufmansdeli.com/wordpress/
You can also check the deli thread (though it hasn't been updated for a while):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...ghlight=bagels
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:52 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
good thread mentions Jerry !

Recently while at my favorite corned beef deli in Chicago ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...-sausages.html ) I ran into another FTer.

His friend HIGHLY suggested that I go to Bagel Country to try their bagels, being a NYC Jew she felt she knew her bagels I of course told her that the best bagels come from Montreal ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...est-world.html ) and she said just go to Bagel Country in Skokie www.bagelcountry.com/about.shtml which is where she gets her bagels from, I have not been yet sadly, as I just haven't been out that way.

Personally I get my bagels from NY Bagel & Bialys in Niles IL (8794 Dempster Ave).

In regards to sandwiches, I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for (would love a description or photo), peppers & eggs can be found at most Italian beef stands, especially on Fridays.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As for BEC sandwiches, you could try Glenn's Diner.
Iirc, there was a Sun-Times or Tribune article on breakfast sandwiches in the last year or two, you might search the websites for it.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Sep 21, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:29 pm
glg

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Personally I get my bagels from NY Bagel & Bialys in Niles IL (8794 Dempster Ave).
They also have a location at 4714 w Touhy in Lincolnwood (just east of the edens)
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
^ Great bagel/bialy shop, just off the highway (4714 w Touhy location), where we were regular customers before my wife started with "South Baach" diet. We are still fans and still visit.

Last edited by aktchi; Sep 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I'd second NY Bagel & Bialy - that was always my family's standby.

Bagel Country is OK - it wouldn't be my favorite place, though.

The best bagels really would be in Skokie/Lincolnwood and perhaps in West Rogers Park. I grew up in HP but don't really recall any standout bagel places there.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Tried NY Bagel and Bialy--pretty damn close to the real thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.