Search

FT'ers ideas on hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro
FT'ers ideas on hotel

Folks,
I'd be delighted to get your thoughts on a hotel for a trip in a couple of weeks. I am flying into ORD on a Sunday evening. I have a meeting in Skokie on Monday, and a meeting in the west Loop on Tuesday. Then I have a flight to Japan on Wed AM. Ideally I'd like to do as much local travel by CTA as possible.

The most obvious to me is to get a Loop (or Mag Mile) hotel, and get out to Skokie for meeting on Monday. But are there any decent hotels (not off in an isolated universe) in the NW (close to O'Hare or Skokie) that are not too far from CTA to get to my loop meeting on Tuesday.

I know the loop pretty well, but the far NW out by the airport not too well at all (stayed at the O'Hare Hilton before, not impressed).
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Not sure what you're saying. Are you thinking about staying downtown on Sunday night and then moving to a hotel up north/northwest for monday and/or tuesday night?

I'd just stay downtown for the entire trip, though an airport hotel may be advisable for Tues night if your flt is super early.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I guess you need to make a choice from a couple options.

1. You can certainly stay out by ORD.

Pros: Puts you where you need to be following your inbound flight on Sunday. Puts you where you need to be for your Wednesday a.m. flight to Japan.

Cons: Long trip to Skokie by CTA, I'd suggest just cabbing it if this is your choice. Not in the Loop area if you like to get out and do things.

Nuetral: Fairly easy to take CTA on Tuesday for your West Loop meeting - involves either a bit of a walk depending on where your meeting is or a short cab ride.

2. You can split your stay and spend one night in Skokie and two nights either in the Loop or at ORD.

Pros: Puts you where you need to be for your Monday meeting but involves same trip from ORD as described above.

Cons: Split hotel and need to move halfway through your trip.

3. Stay in the Loop:

Pros: Central location for entertainment, etc. Easy CTA ride to/from ORD. Relatively easy trip to Skokie if you take the CTA "Skokie Swift", but check schedules to be sure how long the trip will take. Easy to get to your West Loop meeting on Tuesday.

Cons: Longish trip to Skokie on Monday. Need to plan to arrive at ORD in time for your flight on Wednesday.

If it were me, I'd choose the loop option.

If you decide on ORD, note that most of the hotels on River Road are walking distance to a CTA stop, as are the Hotels by Cumberland. The hotels on Mannheim are not. The ORD Hilton is probably the most convenient as that stop is essentially in their basement, and for an airport hotel it isn't bad.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:52 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
meeting times would be helpful
Originally Posted by phillychuck
Ideally I'd like to do as much local travel by CTA as possible.
Why? (& do you mean CTA only or any public transportation?)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Most of the hotels in and around the Skokie area are a bit of a ways from either the CTA or the Metra. If you stayed at these hotels, you would need a short cab ride to either the CTA or Metra.

At the very edges of Chicago, 2 stops from OHare on the Blue Line (CTA) at the Cumberland Stop is the Marriott Chicago OHare http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...arriott-ohare/

It is actually on the Cumberland Stop. Just get off the El, go upstairs, turn right, walk over the expressway, down the stairs and you are in the Marriott parking lot. Skokie (depending on where in Skokie and time of day) is about 15 minutes away by cab. There are a few restaurants within walking distance of the Marriott including Nancy's Pizza, Hooter's, Al's Beef, Golden Elephant - Thai,
D'Agastino's Pizza and Pub. These are all within 3 blocks of the hotel if you want inexpensive and easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.