NATO Summit and ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NATO Summit and ORD

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I would have no problem with having the summit in Chicago to increase the city's visibility on the world stage.

The heavyhanded security theatre is what I object to.

I used to live right in the center of where the street closures are...Michigan and Roosevelt. Glad I'm not there right now.
Here is the problem - the cost of hosting these meetings far outweighs the intangible "benefits" of increased visibility. The number of post-meeting tourists incrementally added never matches the number of visitors lost during the meeting period or permanently lost due to their experience during the meeting.

The Olympics are no different - billions in the hole to earn back a hundred million in incremental short and long term tourism spend.

At this meeting, the world won't see 'Chicago' - they will see a city in locked-down chaos, angry residents, heavy-handed security tactics, protests and other chaos - not exactly the stuff of tourism brochures.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:01 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
At this meeting, the world won't see 'Chicago' - they will see a city in locked-down chaos, angry residents, heavy-handed security tactics, protests and other chaos - not exactly the stuff of tourism brochures.
I sincerely hope that's not the case, but if history is any indicator, you're probably right.

By most accounts, yesterday's protests were fairly peaceful. The highest-profile arrests were of three out-of-towners in their 20s who were reportedly making Molotov cocktails. I hope the media does a post-NATO arrest wrap up and reports on how many of those who were arrested are from out of town. It's sad that people think it's acceptable to come to another city, demonstrate against a non-local organization and destroy local property in the process.
Old May 19, 2012, 3:38 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
While we are not going into the Loop, Mrs Sweet Willie & I were downtown last night, will be this evening for a play, then tomorrow morning to have breakfast with a friend.

I have zero concerns from a safety standpoint, business & social will proceed as normal from my perspective.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Here is the problem - the cost of hosting these meetings far outweighs the intangible "benefits" of increased visibility.
Agreed. It's a chance for the mayor to preen around, nothing more.

Does Chicago get any reimbursement for all these expenses from the Feds or NATO?
Old May 20, 2012, 7:54 pm
glg

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Agreed. It's a chance for the mayor to preen around, nothing more.

Does Chicago get any reimbursement for all these expenses from the Feds or NATO?
From what I've read, the feds are reimbursing the city for overtime expenses and equipment for CPD, which is the big one security-wise. One I wonder about is the bill that'll come for all the streets with meters shut down.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by glg
From what I've read, the feds are reimbursing the city for overtime expenses and equipment for CPD, which is the big one security-wise. One I wonder about is the bill that'll come for all the streets with meters shut down.
I wonder how much businesses lost because so many people were avoiding downtown for 3 days.

A PITA that it coincided with Chicago Craft Beer Week. I was hoping to enjoy a couple weekend evenings.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:29 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by glg
From what I've read, the feds are reimbursing the city for overtime expenses and equipment for CPD, which is the big one security-wise.
I rode metra inbound last night ~9:15pm, there were still numerous security personnel w/guns on the train, seemed quite a bit overkill.
Originally Posted by glg
One I wonder about is the bill that'll come for all the streets with meters shut down.
Rahm won't pay it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.