Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Parking for 8 days near ORD... Safe options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

The family is flying home for Christmas using some buddy passes out of ORD. I am not familiar with the Chicago area, and am unsure about the best options for long-term parking.

I am really picky when it comes to parking (thought of door ding makes me cry) so I'm not sure a Valet lot would be my best option. However, I would assume their fenced in lots would be more secure from theft/vandalism.

So my question is:
How's the parking at the Crowne Plaza hotel? I hear they have some covered spots available. How hard are they to come by?

Are there other hotels that offer parking that are "secure"?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) 8 days @ ORD isn't long term.

2) How is my good/bad experience with any ORD parking lot gonna help you choose?

3) I understand why Allstate's "Mayhem" ads have resonated with the car insurance market.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

1. Ok, not long-term. But need to leave my vehicle near ORD for 8 days.

2. Your experiences may help me choose one location over another depending on what you have to say and what I have been able to discover on my own.

3. I simply was addressing the fact that I don't prefer to have others, who might not have the same respect for my car as I do, drive and park my car. So I would prefer a lock and leave lot that was in an area, where I wouldn't "worry" about theft or vandalism. Not knowing anything about the ORD area, figured I would ask here.

Any help you or anyone else can offer would be most appreciated!

Thanks for the reply!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A friendy welcome to FT.

As you've probably discovered, the ORD "long term" lot is a big open-air parking lot. It is fully fenced and I've left my car there hundreds of times with no trouble. Transportation from the closest lot is fairly easy as the airport shuttle train (ATS) stops right there.

There are several private valet-style lots close to ORD, several of them are South down Mannheim, and I tend to use those whenever I'm there for more than a few days. Again, I've never had any problems and the car is unscathed.

I can't answer your questions about hotel parking since I haven't used that option.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Unless there are special circumstances, I would simply choose the cheapest economy parking lot. It is safe but open air. Buses come quite frequently and take you to a train station, and that train takes you to the terminal in a few minutes. I'd allow 30 minutes extra though.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Sweet Willie's driveway!
jackal likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:33 am

I always use O hare Economy Lot F. $ 9/day.
Bus shuttle to peolple mover.
Open air lot but crowding never been a problem so you can locate your car to a remote corner and not worry about "dings".
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't looked into the Economy lot F. You say it doesn't get to crowded though? That sounds like a pretty good option.

Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers and happy holidays!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Yes, the F lot is perhaps the best option available

Originally Posted by teedoff00
Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't looked into the Economy lot F. You say it doesn't get to crowded though? That sounds like a pretty good option.

Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers and happy holidays!
I use this lot everytime I fly out of ORD. No problem. There are 5 separate bus stop areas, and I've always managed to get a spot close to bus stop #1. It takes roughly about 30 minutes from the time you park your park, and you reach the terminal.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:02 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by arollins
It takes roughly about 30 minutes from the time you park your park, and you reach the terminal.
If someone has never been to this lot before, I'd allow another 15 minutes for finding the entrance, recovering from wrong turns, etc.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:46 am

I would also suggest Economy Lot F at ORD for $9.00 per day.

It's also the impound lot for vehicles that are towed from the terminal areas. City tow trucks are always in and out of there as well as the trailer to pay and retreive.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:22 am
22H

Theft - ORD Parking Lot F

I cannot endorse worry-free use of Lot F.

Although parking area is quite manageable given time and not too expensive, it is certainly not secure.

Deliberately took my oldest vehicle there to leave it for 48 hrs during a quick trip earlier this year. I picked vehicle up in the dark close to midnight. Next day, at home, I discovered both front indicator lenses had been levered off and stolen.

The parking area is reasonably manageable using shuttle-bus/rail-link to terminals, it's the cheapest on-airport, is fenced and has an attendant, but it is not really secure.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 22H
I discovered both front indicator lenses had been levered off and stolen.
Your loss could have been worse. Some thieves are going for the catalytic converters.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:02 pm

Car broken into at O'hare airport no one wants to help me

i just recently went on a 7 day vacation (February 25th 4am to march 5th about 5am) I payed to park at O'hare international airports main parking garage in a spur of the moment decision trying to avoid missing the flight. So we decided to not wait for the uber and drive, this cost $330. Only for me to come back and find my car has been vandalized and ransacked through. after talking with security and O'hare police no one seemed concerned or that it even mattered. They did not come to check out my car and even after i asked for them to come take a look and fill out a police report they said for me to just take pictures myself and send them to my insurance. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE? so far looks like im going to be taking this loss as no one (Chicago police, O'hare police, O'hare security, people on the other end of the phone of numbers i was given to call) seems to care or look into it.

just looking to hear similar cases as i would imagine my car was not the only one that was or was attempted to be opened. i feel as if they are withholding information. surely there was someone else car whos was broken into or can be seen on a security camera of a suspicious person or person/s snooping around or trying to pull on cars door handle within the same time frame of mine
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: aa gold
Originally Posted by user2468468
i just recently went on a 7 day vacation (February 25th 4am to march 5th about 5am) I payed to park at O'hare international airports main parking garage in a spur of the moment decision trying to avoid missing the flight. So we decided to not wait for the uber and drive, this cost $330. Only for me to come back and find my car has been vandalized and ransacked through. after talking with security and O'hare police no one seemed concerned or that it even mattered. They did not come to check out my car and even after i asked for them to come take a look and fill out a police report they said for me to just take pictures myself and send them to my insurance. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE? so far looks like im going to be taking this loss as no one (Chicago police, O'hare police, O'hare security, people on the other end of the phone of numbers i was given to call) seems to care or look into it.

just looking to hear similar cases as i would imagine my car was not the only one that was or was attempted to be opened. i feel as if they are withholding information. surely there was someone else car whos was broken into or can be seen on a security camera of a suspicious person or person/s snooping around or trying to pull on cars door handle within the same time frame of mine

Wow, I park in the garage once a month, never had an issue. That's part of why I park there, always felt its safer for my vehicle than the lots. (mostly because of convenience though ) Was your vehicle locked?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.