Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Fried Brain Sandwiches - a St. Louis thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2003, 3:58 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

I’ve read about fried brain sandwiches in St. Louis.

The opening paragraph to Lycos.com Travel on St. Louis is the following:
When they're not boasting about their city and chiding tourists who call it "St. Louie," locals at the pubs along Route 66 merrily toast the Cardinals over tasty fried-brain sandwiches. It's a St. Louis thing.

Two places I believe serve the fried brain sandwiches are:
CAFÉ MANHATTAN
Dieckmeyer’s

Anyone had one? And how was it?

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Aug 28, 2004 at 4:18 pm
Old Aug 28, 2004, 4:18 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
bumpity......
Old Aug 29, 2004, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Hmmm, a friend of mine mentioned having neck bones with elbow macaroni in St. Louis. I'm sure this is at least that good.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Definitely not a "St. Louis thing". It's more of an Ohio Valley thing. There were always fried-brain sandwich vendors at the local fairs where I grew up (Indiana and Kentucky).

My hometown was featured in a news article about these sandwiches during the brief Mad Cow scare earlier this year. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3969530/)

You don't taste the brain too much because there is so much batter on it.

Go ahead and try one!
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM,Alaska MVP Gold, HH Diamond
Not in STL!

Sorry, but that's not one I know of. Toasted Ravioli, frozen custard, hot dogs, yes. Fried brains, no.

Of course, by definition i'm not here much.....
Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I think as the article says it is more of a midwest German descent thing than specifically St. Louis. Ive tried eating lots of things. I love fugu for instance. But not a chance on brains.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteveinSTL
Sorry, but that's not one I know of. Toasted Ravioli, frozen custard, hot dogs, yes. Fried brains, no.

Of course, by definition i'm not here much.....
I finally found a pizza place near my house that offers "St. Louis-style toasted ravioli". Not too bad, but not as good as what I can find in STL.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL, AA, HH, UA
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I’ve read about fried brain sandwiches in St. Louis.

The opening paragraph to Lycos.com Travel on St. Louis is the following:
When they're not boasting about their city and chiding tourists who call it "St. Louie," locals at the pubs along Route 66 merrily toast the Cardinals over tasty fried-brain sandwiches. It's a St. Louis thing.

Two places I believe serve the fried brain sandwiches are:
CAFÉ MANHATTAN
Dieckmeyer’s

Anyone had one? And how was it?

Google reveals NJ & NY area reference too. Likely a German heritage thing as someone posted.

My Irish Grandfather was born & raised in farming country 100 miles south of St. Louis. He ate scrambled eggs & brains, but I don't recall sandwiches ~ guess that would work between bread. I turned purple @ idea & did same when I read your question. I imagine he liked it or he wouldn't have eaten it more than once. Canned pork brains are available in some grocery stores. (not in my cart!)

An uncle transplanted to Ohio & told about a German friend making blood sausage. I didn't ask any questions. Anyone with info about that dietary delight?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by jg2411
Google reveals NJ & NY area reference too. Likely a German heritage thing as someone posted.

My Irish Grandfather was born & raised in farming country 100 miles south of St. Louis. He ate scrambled eggs & brains, but I don't recall sandwiches ~ guess that would work between bread. I turned purple @ idea & did same when I read your question. I imagine he liked it or he wouldn't have eaten it more than once. Canned pork brains are available in some grocery stores. (not in my cart!)

An uncle transplanted to Ohio & told about a German friend making blood sausage. I didn't ask any questions. Anyone with info about that dietary delight?

Blood sausage is pretty common, also blood pudding I think. Im guessing the black sausage I had for breakfast in Dublin once was one in the same. Blood sausage is okay although not a favorite, just no brains thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Definitely not a "St. Louis thing". It's more of an Ohio Valley thing. There were always fried-brain sandwich vendors at the local fairs where I grew up (Indiana and Kentucky).

My hometown was featured in a news article about these sandwiches during the brief Mad Cow scare earlier this year. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3969530/)

You don't taste the brain too much because there is so much batter on it.

Go ahead and try one!
Evansville is exactly the location I tie this subject to (my family is from an hour north on 57, so pseduoswede likely knows where I'm talking about). And nope, I haven't tried them although I've heard a lot about them through the years.

Last edited by cawhite; Feb 26, 2007 at 8:53 pm
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cawhite
Evansville is exactly the location I tie this subject to (my family is from an hour north on 57, so pseduoswede likely knows where I'm talking about). And nope, I haven't tried them although I've heard a lot about them through the years.
Wow. I swear we were talking about brain sandwiches last year...

So anyways, if you check out Episode 2 of Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt on Food Network, he visits Evansville and tries a brain sandwich. No, he didn't like it, but he also had some poignant comments on why it still exists (and why it's not found anywhere else).
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:39 pm

It was...

a very common sandwich in STL around the turn of the century (1900). Yes, the large german population in STL was probably the instigator of such a delicacy. They were still pretty popular in the 1940s and I am sure you can still get one somewhere today. I do remember driving downtown for Cardinal football games with my Dad and passing a brick building on Chouteau Avenue with "Harvey's Sandwhich Shop. Brains Sandwiches 25 cents" painted on the side. Of course it was no longer in business.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:50 pm

I also grew up in Evansville and remember brain sandwiches being on the high school cafeteria menu back in the sixties, but I never tried one.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:55 pm

My German grandmother used to eat cow brains, but she'd boil them on the stove. I never saw a fried brain.

Friggin' disgusting if you ask me.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:10 pm

It is so wrong to eat tissue from the central nervous system of a mammal.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.