FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   ORD Habitues: Takeoff/Landing observation spot (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1224970-ord-habitues-takeoff-landing-observation-spot.html)

masonp123 Jun 10, 2011 8:09 pm

ORD Habitues: Takeoff/Landing observation spot

I'm "uncle" to a remarkably smart little 2 1/2 year old. She's very verbal and we have fun conversations about all kinds of stuff. Problem: about two weeks ago she had her first flight with her mother and infant brother to Phoenix and she was quiet frightened! We can't figure out why/what it was, but she spent the entire time on both flights cringing in her seat, head down, clinging to Mom's arm. She's fearless in just about every other aspect of life!

I've been talking to her a little bit about it, and thought it might be a good idea to drive out to the airport and just watch the planes take off and land for awhile and talk about the whole process.

Question: where's the best (closest unobstructed view) observation point? I'm thinking maybe Economy Lot E and climbing up onto the roof of the car some nice warm day. Any other good spots where you can see the take-off and landing from reasonably up close? I considered the AC but it's a long distance to the runways and the planes are so small in the distance.

Thanks!

chgoeditor Jun 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Depends on what runway. If you take Mannheim Road south, you're at the end of one runway, so you can see the planes taxi, but not much else. If you're in the Target parking lot (or any other number of parking lots nearby) oh Mannheim north of the airport, you'd see planes overhead very low on approach. (You can probably see that south on Mannheim, too.) Maybe there's a better spot at MDW?

masonp123 Jun 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor (Post 16544744)
Depends on what runway. If you take Mannheim Road south, you're at the end of one runway, so you can see the planes taxi, but not much else. If you're in the Target parking lot (or any other number of parking lots nearby) oh Mannheim north of the airport, you'd see planes overhead very low on approach. (You can probably see that south on Mannheim, too.) Maybe there's a better spot at MDW?

Thanks. A parking lot would work as it shouldn't be too loud. Thought about MDW, but the fence obscures the roll and touchdown. Maybe there are some nearby buildings or something that give a better view of the field that are reasonably close.

glg Jun 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by masonp123 (Post 16544768)
Thought about MDW, but the fence obscures the roll and touchdown. Maybe there are some nearby buildings or something that give a better view of the field that are reasonably close.

The long term parking garage is 7 or 8 levels. That should put you high enough to see over the walls I'd think.