FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   Do i have to recheck my luggage in Chicago airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/1213872-do-i-have-recheck-my-luggage-chicago-airport.html)

CraiNo May 9, 2011 5:07 pm

Do i have to recheck my luggage in Chicago airport

Hi

i have flight JED-AUH-ORD-MIA by Etihad Airways,the flight will arrive to ORD terminal 5 then flight from ORD-MIA will be from terminal 3 operated by AA since Etihad Airways and AA have codshare so, upon arrival to ORD do i have to go to immigration and claim my baggage and the recheck in AA counter or should i go from arrival gate in terminal 5 directly to terminal 3 AA gate.

time between flights is 2:25 is it enough.

any advice please

LizzyDragon84 May 9, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi CraiNo and welcome to Flyertalk! To answer your questions, yes, you will have to clear immigrations and customs and then recheck your bag since ORD is the first place that you're landing in the US. You will not have the option to go directly to your next flight.

As for your connection time, 2:25 should be plenty of time as long as your incoming flight isn't terribly late.

Ocn Vw 1K May 9, 2011 5:43 pm

CraiNo, welcome to FlyerTalk! Please follow as the thread moves to the Travel->Chicago forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

C. Howitt Fealz May 9, 2011 5:52 pm

You'll have to grab the people mover over to T3 (the next stop). Assuming you have no problems with Immigration & Customs, you should be okay.

CraiNo May 9, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks LizzyDragon84 for quick response i appreciate you helping

actually i took a look to ORD map of terminal 5 showing airport transit system (ATS) before immigration and customs , so if i pass immigration and customs how can i go back to airport transit system to proceed to terminal 3.

here is ORD terminal 5 map
http://www.ohare.com/PDF/PassengerIn...20Acce%20F.pdf

regards

CraiNo May 9, 2011 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K (Post 16356884)
CraiNo, welcome to FlyerTalk! Please follow as the thread moves to the Travel->Chicago forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Thanks

sorry to post in wrong section.

CraiNo May 9, 2011 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84 (Post 16356777)
Hi CraiNo and welcome to Flyertalk! To answer your questions, yes, you will have to clear immigrations and customs and then recheck your bag since ORD is the first place that you're landing in the US. You will not have the option to go directly to your next flight.

As for your connection time, 2:25 should be plenty of time as long as your incoming flight isn't terribly late.

Thanks LizzyDragon84 for quick response i appreciate you helping

actually i took a look to ORD map of terminal 5 showing airport transit system (ATS) before immigration and customs , so if i pass immigration and customs how can i go back to airport transit system to proceed to terminal 3.

regards

CraiNo May 9, 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by C. Howitt Fealz (Post 16356929)
You'll have to grab the people mover over to T3 (the next stop). Assuming you have no problems with Immigration & Customs, you should be okay.

Thanks

how to go to terminal 3 , is there other way than airport transit system.
actually i don't have any problem with immigration but they might have problem with me, i heard they are aggresive in chicago airport so agrresive immigration+busy airport+short time between flight=?!!!!

C. Howitt Fealz May 9, 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by CraiNo (Post 16357030)
Thanks

how to go to terminal 3 , is there other way than airport transit system.
actually i don't have any problem with immigration but they might have problem with me, i heard they are aggresive in chicago airport so agrresive immigration+busy airport+short time between flight=?!!!!

Not so much aggressive as slow. Hopefully they'll have both sets of immigration booths open when you arrive. And the ATS (people mover) is really the only way to get to T3.

CraiNo May 9, 2011 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by C. Howitt Fealz (Post 16357213)
Not so much aggressive as slow. Hopefully they'll have both sets of immigration booths open when you arrive. And the ATS (people mover) is really the only way to get to T3.

Great , Thank you

glg May 10, 2011 8:22 am

Originally Posted by CraiNo (Post 16357024)

regards

You're misinterpreting the map, it's showing two levels, not one. The lower part of the map is the lower level. The gold lines up with the upper, as does the grey road (two level road).

The ATS is outside immigration and customs. You'll come off the plane, go down the hall to immigration, then grab your bags, go through customs. Right after customs, there are baggage check desks where you can give your bags to AA (I think they have to be already tagged all the way through. if they aren't you may need to take them with you on the ATS). After the baggage desks, you exit into the main lobby/greeting area. Follow the signs to the ATS (up one level of escalators) and board the train to terminal 3.

Trains go in two directions, one is to the other terminals (1/2/3), the other to parking. Get the right one so you don't have to take the trek to parking and back :) Terminal 3 is the next stop.

CraiNo May 10, 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by glg (Post 16359920)
You're misinterpreting the map, it's showing two levels, not one. The lower part of the map is the lower level. The gold lines up with the upper, as does the grey road (two level road).

The ATS is outside immigration and customs. You'll come off the plane, go down the hall to immigration, then grab your bags, go through customs. Right after customs, there are baggage check desks where you can give your bags to AA (I think they have to be already tagged all the way through. if they aren't you may need to take them with you on the ATS). After the baggage desks, you exit into the main lobby/greeting area. Follow the signs to the ATS (up one level of escalators) and board the train to terminal 3.

Trains go in two directions, one is to the other terminals (1/2/3), the other to parking. Get the right one so you don't have to take the trek to parking and back :) Terminal 3 is the next stop.

yeah you are right
now i get it and i think the baggage tag to Miami because of code-share.

thank very much appreciate your helping.

Regards all

milepig May 12, 2011 9:08 am

The ATS is outside security, so when you arrive at T3 you will need to go back through security there. There is no way to move from T5 to T3 inside the secure zone. There is also no practical way to get from T5 to T3 other than by taking the ATS. I suppose one could walk, but it's a fair distance and not designed for pedestrians.

Watch carefully as you leave the Immigration/Customs area. The process is:

stand in line to clear immigration

wait by the carousel for your bags

walk through customs with your bags - you will either be directed straight through or directed to an inspection line

Once you pass the customs station you will go down a short hallway WITH YOUR BAGS, and there will be a place there where AA will take them from you. If you pass all the way out into the terminal you will need to take them with you on the ATS and then recheck them when you arrive at T3.

The good news is that the route is pretty will signposted and my advice is to just throw away the map and follow the signs. When you come out of immigration/customs you'll be on the lower level of T5 and there will be an escalator up almost immediately in front of you. That's where you want to be.

There is no T4, so T3 is the first stop on the ATS. The only tricky bit is that the ATS serves T1-T2-T3-T5-Remote Parking. If you don't pay attention at T5 you could wind up on the train to Remote Parking instead of T3. Even this isn't a disaster since the trip takes like 2 minutes and you can just stay on the same train for the return trip.

CraiNo May 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 16372910)
The ATS is outside security, so when you arrive at T3 you will need to go back through security there. There is no way to move from T5 to T3 inside the secure zone. There is also no practical way to get from T5 to T3 other than by taking the ATS. I suppose one could walk, but it's a fair distance and not designed for pedestrians.

Watch carefully as you leave the Immigration/Customs area. The process is:

stand in line to clear immigration

wait by the carousel for your bags

walk through customs with your bags - you will either be directed straight through or directed to an inspection line

Once you pass the customs station you will go down a short hallway WITH YOUR BAGS, and there will be a place there where AA will take them from you. If you pass all the way out into the terminal you will need to take them with you on the ATS and then recheck them when you arrive at T3.

The good news is that the route is pretty will signposted and my advice is to just throw away the map and follow the signs. When you come out of immigration/customs you'll be on the lower level of T5 and there will be an escalator up almost immediately in front of you. That's where you want to be.

There is no T4, so T3 is the first stop on the ATS. The only tricky bit is that the ATS serves T1-T2-T3-T5-Remote Parking. If you don't pay attention at T5 you could wind up on the train to Remote Parking instead of T3. Even this isn't a disaster since the trip takes like 2 minutes and you can just stay on the same train for the return trip.

awesome replay ,
now i feel comfortable and confident,any way if we stuck in ORD due to shot transit and long time of immigration and customs processing, i will be happy to stay in Chicago for one night and i may join Blackstone Rangers or Latin Kings no body knows,,, joking.

thank you very much for help.

milepig May 13, 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by CraiNo (Post 16376802)
awesome replay ,
now i feel comfortable and confident,any way if we stuck in ORD due to shot transit and long time of immigration and customs processing, i will be happy to stay in Chicago for one night and i may join Blackstone Rangers or Latin Kings no body knows,,, joking.

thank you very much for help.

One thing I forgot to mention - Etihad should be able to print your AA boarding pass for you, but if for some reason they can't the person who takes you bag at T5 should also be able to handle that - failing that, you can use the checkin kiosk at T3. I can't quite remember since I mostly fly UA out of T1, but I think AA has checkin machines on the walkway from the ATS station to T3. If not, you'll see them when you enter the terminal.