Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early to arrive ORD on Nov. 24?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:56 am
Original Poster

How early to arrive ORD on Nov. 24?

Flying at 650pm to DFW. Wife things we should get there three hours in advance. I really have zero interest in sitting at ORD for three hours. I normally show up one hour ahead but with national opt out day who knows.

With so many frequencies to DFW I suppose its possible I get on an earlier one but maybe not. maybe I should clear security at T2 and walk to T3?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
If it were me, I'd plan on arriving ORD 2 hours ahead. I flew out last Thursday and the security lines in T1 made me contemplate heading to T2 and walking back.

Day before T-Giving will likely be MORE crowded. Good luck!!
Dave
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
If the full body scanner protesters show up at ORD, or even a small number of people opt-out of the scanner process, things may get a bit slow at security.

[on the other hand, as Americans seem to act like sheep compared to folks from most other countries, so maybe everyone at ORD will just get zapped calmly and quickly]
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
I will be flying out of ORD on 11/24, albeit later in the evening. I would plan on 1-1/2 hours early. Most lines are taking a long time with the new machines, though ideally TSA will have all lines open and that would mean some lines with standard metal detectors only. Best bet is to head over to security next to Alaska (near the 'L' pier) which had only metal detectors last time I was through and is usually empty...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:46 am

I have the same concern ex-DFW if anyone could shed some light...

Usually security at B gates takes less than 5 mins, haven't been through on a major holiday recently.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by saprissa13
I have the same concern ex-DFW if anyone could shed some light...

Usually security at B gates takes less than 5 mins, haven't been through on a major holiday recently.
I plan on being there 1.5 hrs early in terminal A for the opposite flight of the op. I'm doing DFW-ORD at 4:50.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:40 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paseom2
I will be flying out of ORD on 11/24, albeit later in the evening. I would plan on 1-1/2 hours early. Most lines are taking a long time with the new machines, though ideally TSA will have all lines open and that would mean some lines with standard metal detectors only. Best bet is to head over to security next to Alaska (near the 'L' pier) which had only metal detectors last time I was through and is usually empty...
The nude-o-scopes are at all the check points in T3 now.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:42 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hindukid
Flying at 650pm to DFW. Wife things we should get there three hours in advance. I really have zero interest in sitting at ORD for three hours. I normally show up one hour ahead but with national opt out day who knows.

With so many frequencies to DFW I suppose its possible I get on an earlier one but maybe not. maybe I should clear security at T2 and walk to T3?
Are you checking bags? If so you need to add time for that. I'd give it 2 hours on a high demand travel day such as this.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by HNL
That doesn't mean they're being used, though. I used a checkpoint just right of H/K halls on Friday and the radiation machines where blocked off with the normal metal detectors in use. Similarly at LAX T4, the lines are typically a mix of the two machines with some radiation machines blocked off.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:37 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Originally Posted by HNL
That doesn't mean they're being used, though. I used a checkpoint just right of H/K halls on Friday and the radiation machines where blocked off with the normal metal detectors in use. Similarly at LAX T4, the lines are typically a mix of the two machines with some radiation machines blocked off.
I was responding to the statement that the L checkpoint did not have them. They do.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
Are you checking bags? If so you need to add time for that. I'd give it 2 hours on a high demand travel day such as this.
No bags to check.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:39 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Please continue to participate in this thread in the Chicago Forum for broader input. Also keep an eye on the Travel Safety/Security Forum, of course.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:44 am

Any updates from today? Especially for terminal 1?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:38 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
We had an 8am international, arrived at 6am and were through security in 10 mins.
Originally Posted by hindukid
No bags to check.
so what was your experience?
-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.