Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

N Michigan Ave to ORD at 3:30pm - Train or Taxi

Old Sep 19, 10, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I'll be in a rush to catch my flight and will need to get to ORD as fast as possible. Which mode of transportation will be best on a Tuesday afternoon? I'm guessing the El will take about an hour in total but can a cab beat that? I know it could without traffic but I'm not sure when rush hour hits and how bad it'll be.

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 10, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Some key missing information includes: what time is your flight? what terminal? That may help us answer your question. Also, minor point - it's L not El.
Old Sep 19, 10, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ChiFlyer View Post
Some key missing information includes: what time is your flight? what terminal? That may help us answer your question. Also, minor point - it's L not El.
Thanks for the clarification. I just need the absolute fastest way to T1 (United) at that hour. I'm stuck in meetings so leaving at any other time isn't possible.
Old Sep 19, 10, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a toss-up at that time.

I'd take the train (from the Grand Av/Halsted blue line stop) because that way you know it will be 45 mins. It could be faster if you drive, but it could just as easily be a lot slower.
Old Sep 20, 10, 7:33 am
glg

Originally Posted by MWRFlyer View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I just need the absolute fastest way to T1 (United) at that hour. I'm stuck in meetings so leaving at any other time isn't possible.
Would you have access to a computer for a minute or two before you leave (or do you have a smartphone)? Check the traffic on gcmtravel.com or even google maps. If it's green, grab a cab. If yellow or red, get the L
Old Sep 20, 10, 7:50 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Originally Posted by ChiFlyer View Post
Some key missing information includes: what time is your flight?
still missing the flight time.
Old Sep 20, 10, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I would always take the Blue Line. Too much unpredictability on the highway for me.
Old Sep 20, 10, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
I wish we had a starting address or intersection instead of "north Michigan Ave". Be that as it may, take a cab to the nearest Blue Line Metra station (locations noted at the end), make sure you board the train going to O'Hare.

Traffic conditions are highly variable, so unless you can monitor them online minutes before leaving, I would skip the road option. If you are meeting in an office, you could request someone there to look it up for you. In case of doubt, cab to the train, train to ORD.

It would be wise to look up in advance (Google maps) which Blue line Metra station is nearest to your meeting venue: Grand & Milwaukee, Chicago & Milwaukee, Division and Milwaukee. If two seem equal distance, go to the later one.

Last edited by aktchi; Sep 20, 10 at 4:21 pm
Old Sep 20, 10, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
I wish we had a starting address or intersection instead of "north Michigan Ave". Be that as it may, take a cab to the nearest Blue Line Metra station (locations noted at the end), make sure you board the train going to O'Hare.

Traffic conditions are highly variable, so unless you can monitor them online minutes before leaving, I would skip the road option. If you are meeting in an office, you could request someone there to look it up for you. In case of doubt, cab to the train, train to ORD.

It would be wise to look up in advance (Google maps) which Blue line Metra station is nearest to your meeting venue: Grand & Milwaukee, Chicago & Milwaukee, Division and Milwaukee. If two seem equal distance, go to the later one.
As an ex-Chicagoan, I would agree with your advice, but just don't refer to anything as a "Blue Line Metra station" .
Old Sep 21, 10, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Take the L. No matter what the traffic looks like before you leave downtown, it could change. The L will be 45 minutes if all goes well, an hour if there are delays.
Old Sep 21, 10, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
It depends

Remember that the L stop is on the Blue Line and the ORD stop is a good 5 minute walk from the security gates at ORD. The Blue Line is considerably west of Michigan avenue. Absent a significant traffic jam, the cab will have you at the airport security gates faster. Sometimes the blue line stops for 10 or 15 minutes just for no reason you can tell. I have done both and absent financial considerations, a cab is easier and generally faster. Oh, I have lived here since 1972. I am not reading this out of a guidebook.
Old Sep 21, 10, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by ORDflyer View Post
Sometimes the blue line stops for 10 or 15 minutes just for no reason you can tell. I have done both and absent financial considerations, a cab is easier and generally faster. Oh, I have lived here since 1972. I am not reading this out of a guidebook.
It's not "generally" faster at 3:30 p.m., however, although it could be on occasion. And, if it's a Friday, the L will get you there faster 99 times out of 100. Since they completed the construction, there aren't 10 or 15 minute stops except in very unusual circumstances. If there is a delay, they'll run express. But I'll defer to you. I've only lived here since 1975.
Old Sep 21, 10, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ORDflyer View Post
Sometimes the blue line stops for 10 or 15 minutes just for no reason you can tell. I have done both and absent financial considerations, a cab is easier and generally faster. Oh, I have lived here since 1972. I am not reading this out of a guidebook.
How recent and often have you taken the blue line to ORD may I ask ?

Cab is faster only if you take it on weekends, other days of the week, only the midday period like around 10am to 3pm "may" have less traffic.
Old Sep 23, 10, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
It's not "generally" faster at 3:30 p.m., however, although it could be on occasion. And, if it's a Friday, the L will get you there faster 99 times out of 100.
Yeah, I once volunteered to pick someone up at ORD at 4:30 pm on a Friday.

The opposite direction, but I'm still not going to do that again.
Old Oct 26, 10, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
How recent and often have you taken the blue line to ORD may I ask ?

Cab is faster only if you take it on weekends, other days of the week, only the midday period like around 10am to 3pm "may" have less traffic.
I have to disagree. My office is on N. Michigan and by the time you get to the Blue Line station and then to the terminal on the other end it is a wash in time vs. a cab. Even on Friday evenings at 5 you can grab a cab on Rush or Michigan and be walking into the terminal an hour later. IME it's often less than an hour and has never taken more than 1:15.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: