Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP Airport light rail woes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2023, 1:43 am
Original Poster

MSP Airport light rail woes

At one time, the light rail line from downtown Minneapolis to MSP airport (and on, to the Mall of America) was a safe, easy way to get to and from the airport.

Over the past three years, however, it has become increasingly dangerous because many people use the light rail cars as homeless shelters + narcotics supermarkets. Many airport employees are required to use the Terminal 2 parking deck even if they work in Terminal 1 (the DL + AA + UA terminal) or, in the case of inflight personnel, their flights originate / terminate in Terminal 1. Delta employees have become so concerned about their safety commuting between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 via light rail that they've asked to be allowed to park in the Terminal 1 parking deck.

A new FB group has been established, "MSP Airport Light Rail Incidents", where light rail users can share pictures of homeless people, narcotics users, and people engaged in behavior that makes other light rail passengers uncomfortable. If you live in the Twin Cities, or travel there frequently, you might consider joining this group (which I have no connection to), to stay informed about what it's like to use the airport light rail line.

On a more personal note, I live in the western suburbs of Minneapolis. Before the pandemic, I'd take a bus to downtown Minneapolis, then light rail the rest of the way to the airport. Doing this was much cheaper than taking Lyft, and it was nice to not have to worry about delays if there was an accident on MN-100 or the Crosstown Freeway. I haven't been on light rail since the pandemic started. It's VERY sad that Minneapolis seems unwilling to ensure that mass transit riders feel safe on light rail and busses.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: DL DM
And this is related to Delta somehow??
Marschel, Mhyduchak and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
And this is related to Delta somehow??
It's related to Delta because the vast majority of passengers flying in / out of MSP use Delta, and the vast majority of airport personnel affected by the problems on the light rail line are Delta employees.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
It's related to Delta because the vast majority of passengers flying in / out of MSP use Delta, and the vast majority of airport personnel affected by the problems on the light rail line are Delta employees.
I invite you to come to Dallas and ride the DART to DFW or DAL. Especially if it is cold/rainy. It will make the trek to MSP look like a cake walk. That being said, it's just a sad reality of the homeless issues, public transportation, etc. Its got nothing to do with the different airlines.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I use public transportation a lot when it is remotely convenient to do so.

I appreciate the heads up on the light rail situation in Minneapolis, as I have considered possible layovers at MSP and taking the train downtown.

When I lived in the DC area, I would drive to Huntington or Franconia/Springfield stations and ride into DCA; had the Virginia Railway Express operated a train in the 4 am hour, I could have done that, connected to Metro at Alexandria Union Station/King Street and ridden two stops to DCA.

Since I moved to the Cleveland area over a year ago, I discovered that the best airport parking deal is at a park-and-ride operated by the Cleveland RTA called Brookpark, less than two miles from the CLE terminal. The RTA runs a two-car train every fifteen minutes, 22 hours per day. Being over 65, I can ride for $1.25 each way tot he airport and park for free with a seven day limit. The cheapest private airport parking lot charges $13.50 per day, plus a tip to the shuttle driver. The city of Cleveland tolerates people sleeping on the train cars and also sleeping in Brookpark station (which is heated). Interestingly, the sleeping issue doesn't materialize at the airport station (which is unheated).
manacit, diburning and BigFishDave like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:15 pm

The last time I was at MSP, there were plenty of homeless people sleeping on the train. Didn't see any drug deals, though.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It's winter, thus happens lots of places. ORD they had people sleeping inside the terminal last month. Police knew it was happening. As long as they didn't bother people they left them alone.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody has mentioned MARTA yet. Took it a few weeks ago (after a number of years of only connecting through ATL). Seemed more depressing than I remembered it, but then maybe my memory is fading and it's been depressing for many years Was definitely cheap. How many locals still use MARTA?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 6:21 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I grew up in Minneapolis and lived in the South Burbs until 2017, my mother lives three blocks from where George Floyd happened. It's a complete failure on the part of both the city of Minneapolis and Metro Transit (who runs the trains) that you can't take the rail anywhere north of Minnehaha Falls without seeing some stuff. There have been numerous shootings, muggings, sexual assaults and beatings at the Lake St, Franklin Ave and Downtown platforms. I have no issues recommending the train between Ft. Snelling and the Mall, but would not recommend anyone take it downtown or try to take it to St. Paul.
JoeDTW and Marschel like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 6:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have taken the light rail to go back and forth between MSP and the Government Plaza and Nicollet Mall stops repeatedly in 2021 and 2022. It seems to have gotten weirder than it used to be for my trips, but I haven’t seen anything on it that will keep me from taking it when by myself to get into the city.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been using airport hotel parking packages for many trips, especially if I will be jetlagged when I return. I stay overnight at the end of the trip to avoid having to drive after a long trip.

Some airport hotels allow people to pay to park and use their airport shuttle without booking a room. Airport parking lots tend to advertise various coupons and discount codes; this can be cheaper than Uber/Lyft/taxi. T2 parking is (still AFAIK) cheaper than T1, so it could make sense to park at T2 on site and take the light rail for free to T1 for DL etc. flights. (Remember that you don't need a ticket to use the light rail between T1 and T2.

Beware that some airport hotels do not have shuttles. Some haven't come back after the pandemic, even though the hotel's website might say that there's an airport shuttle. A few are on the light rail line *south* of the airport, so that might be a viable alternative to a hotel shuttle.

Remember that it's now spring break travel season; do not assume that airport parking will be available when you need it.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Originally Posted by xliioper
Nobody has mentioned MARTA yet. Took it a few weeks ago (after a number of years of only connecting through ATL). Seemed more depressing than I remembered it, but then maybe my memory is fading and it's been depressing for many years Was definitely cheap. How many locals still use MARTA?
I live in the far north suburbs, and the only time I use MARTA is to connect from the express bus, in the early morning or afternoon. The AM is always crowded, especially during the school year, but I wouldn't feel safe past the afternoon rush, and not after dark.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been using airport hotel parking packages for many trips, especially if I will be jetlagged when I return. I stay overnight at the end of the trip to avoid having to drive after a long trip.

Some airport hotels allow people to pay to park and use their airport shuttle without booking a room. Airport parking lots tend to advertise various coupons and discount codes; this can be cheaper than Uber/Lyft/taxi. T2 parking is (still AFAIK) cheaper than T1, so it could make sense to park at T2 on site and take the light rail for free to T1 for DL etc. flights. (Remember that you don't need a ticket to use the light rail between T1 and T2.

Beware that some airport hotels do not have shuttles. Some haven't come back after the pandemic, even though the hotel's website might say that there's an airport shuttle. A few are on the light rail line *south* of the airport, so that might be a viable alternative to a hotel shuttle.

Remember that it's now spring break travel season; do not assume that airport parking will be available when you need it.
I get cheaper parking at T2 — or at least I did last year — than at T1. T2 can get very full too in summer.

If not wanting to deal with the light rail and wanting to stay at MSP without dealing with a hotel shuttle van, the MSP InterContinental is convenient. It is often a better deal via buying IHG points and redeeming points than paying a regular $ rate.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Thankfully, I only have to actually spend time staying for days in the city of Atlanta 2 or 3 times a year. I used to use MARTA. Until a visit about a year ago. Two (presumably) homeless men drew knives during an altercation on the train. Done. Not going to use it again.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:12 am

Just a quick note from Portland - homeless people on light rail, per se, are not necessarily dangerous. I usually ride in the morning and often find folks in the cars or on the bus lying around with scattered and trashy-looking belongings - looks bad, and I do put on my mask, but then just go into "pay attention" mode. Find out where the intercom to the driver is and know the intervening stops in case you decide to get out at the next one. (Most of PDX's intervening stops would be safe for disembarking; not sure about other cities.) People who live in the suburbs might read social media, catastrophize and multiply duplicate posts by excessive sharing. Late at night, my risk assessment would be quite different: I tend to be more wary of drunk and high people roaming the city looking for "entertainment." Since I lived in NYC in the 70's and in cities ever since, pretty much safely the whole time, my comfort level is perhaps more realistic.
pudgym29, findark, GoBob and 8 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.