Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thanks for the info., knope2001.

Separately, is any airline marketing MKE flights in the northern Chicago suburbs? I remember how back in the day lots of those folks would drive up for Midwest Express nonstops. While the distance was much greater, their drive times to O'Hare were similar, Mitchell has cheap & easy parking, and a quick walk to the terminals.

Seems like there's an opportunity there. I wonder if any of the LCC with flights to Europe are looking at MKE with this in mind.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
Separately, is any airline marketing MKE flights in the northern Chicago suburbs? I remember how back in the day lots of those folks would drive up for Midwest Express nonstops. While the distance was much greater, their drive times to O'Hare were similar, Mitchell has cheap & easy parking, and a quick walk to the terminals.
MKE has been marketing the airport to northern IL for quite awhile.

http://www.mitchellairport.com/theoharealternative/
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
AC is now operating out of Gate C10.

I assume that means UA will eventually move to C9, C11, and C12.

On my last trip out of C, TSA was not appropriately staffed to handle the early WN departure bank. I was OK with Pre, but the non-Pre line stretched back out to the BMO bank branch.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mizzou65201
AC is now operating out of Gate C10.

I assume that means UA will eventually move to C9, C11, and C12.

On my last trip out of C, TSA was not appropriately staffed to handle the early WN departure bank. I was OK with Pre, but the non-Pre line stretched back out to the BMO bank branch.
It has been like that for a while. This Sunday the line for the d gates went out of the corral and halfway to the seating area. Pre check was empty, and it looked like only a dozen or so in the first class lane. At least they had all three NOS machines running.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:58 am

Couple of miscellaneous things I've run into:

(1) MKE-MSY showed up again on the Southwest route map with a recent schedule release but nobody seem to have found why. I ran into what appears to be the source -- there's a MSY-MKE nonstop on Friday 9/2 and then return MKE-MSY nonstop on Sunday 9/4. Both are sold out, though many flights from other cities to Milwaukee are sold out or virtually so looking at similar days. Anything in particular going on which would explain this MSY flight? Southwest doesn't generally add a scheduled trip like this for an event.

(2) In addition to the long-awaited return of some mainline flying, United is bringing more two-class RJ's to Milwaukee. In September MKE-ORD has two E75 and a CR7 along with five 50-seaters. In October when a 319 joins MKE-ORD there's an E75 plus six 50-seaters. Note that United seems to monkey with aircraft 60-90 days out so don't put too much stock (good or bad) on aircraft type much further out than that.

(3) On another United topic, MKE-IAH continues to whither, generally down to twice daily ERJ. In the most recent quarter I noticed that on an average day Southwest carried more people between Milwaukee and Houston via their connecting HOU flights than United carried on their nonstops to IAH. These are average passengers (both ways combined) between Milwaukee and Houston for Q4 2015 and average fare:

62/day Southwest @ $209.26 each way
61/day United @ $351.73 each way
80/day all other airlines @ $218.28 each way

Clearly United and their limited nonstop schedule is catering mostly to business travelers, and people willing to make a stop (no matter if flying to Hobby or Bush) pay a lot less on average. Unfortunately as the number of MKE-IAH nonstops has dwindled and the fare has climbed, I suspect more than a few people in this market use O'Hare instead. The convenience of a nonstop to MKE may well not be worth a $300 round-trip fare premium and a painfully-long ride on an ERJ.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knope2001

(2) In addition to the long-awaited return of some mainline flying, United is bringing more two-class RJ's to Milwaukee. In September MKE-ORD has two E75 and a CR7 along with five 50-seaters. In October when a 319 joins MKE-ORD there's an E75 plus six 50-seaters. Note that United seems to monkey with aircraft 60-90 days out so don't put too much stock (good or bad) on aircraft type much further out than that.
About time that they did this, I personally would have like this years ago -- when I was flying it several times a month and Madison and Appleton were the only cities getting something other than a crj. I actually started flying through grb, among other reasons, simply to avoid the crj for an hour.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:41 pm

One could of course argue that the short MKE-ORD hop is the right place for a CRJ or ERJ -- from boarding to deplanement is usually around 55-75 minutes. But on the flip side using virtually nothing but CRJ/ERJ in a market the size of Milwaukee puts United at a big disadvantage.

It's good to see something other than ERJ/CRJ on Denver and Chicago but I'm really looking for something larger on Newark. That will be a long time coming when it finally happens.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One could of course argue that the short MKE-ORD hop is the right place for a CRJ or ERJ -- from boarding to deplanement is usually around 55-75 minutes. But on the flip side using virtually nothing but CRJ/ERJ in a market the size of Milwaukee puts United at a big disadvantage.

It's good to see something other than ERJ/CRJ on Denver and Chicago but I'm really looking for something larger on Newark. That will be a long time coming when it finally happens.
Delta fills the CR7 or CR9 on MKE-LGA. I would assume that MKE-EWR could support a twice daily CR7. I would really like to see MKE-IAD though, on anything. WN has both BWI and DCA. I don't see this happening though.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:21 am

Couple of miscellaneous things I've run into:

(1) MKE-MSY showed up again on the Southwest route map with a recent schedule release but nobody seem to have found why. I ran into what appears to be the source -- there's a MSY-MKE nonstop on Friday 9/2 and then return MKE-MSY nonstop on Sunday 9/4. Both are sold out, though many flights from other cities to Milwaukee are sold out or virtually so looking at similar days. Anything in particular going on which would explain this MSY flight? Southwest doesn't generally add a scheduled trip like this for an event.
L.S.U. plays the Badgers at Lambeau on the afternoon of Sept. 3.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:08 pm

The licensing agreement between SSP America and Colectivo has ended; a new agreement has been signed with Valentine Coffee Roasters and all 3 airport locations have been re-branded to Valentine.

Anyone hearing any updates on when UA will be moving out of E? At least as of a couple weeks ago, there were no jetways on C9 or C11, which I think would have to be in place in order for UA to start up ops on C.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:48 am

Couple miscellaneous notes here:

*The jetways from E60 and E66 have been moved over to and installed at C9 and C11. One step closer to UA vacating E.

*The defunct bar across from D34 has been walled off for construction and will become a Starbucks. No idea whether this will have any effect on the landside Starbucks next to the D checkpoint.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mizzou65201
Couple miscellaneous notes here:

*The jetways from E60 and E66 have been moved over to and installed at C9 and C11. One step closer to UA vacating E.

*The defunct bar across from D34 has been walled off for construction and will become a Starbucks. No idea whether this will have any effect on the landside Starbucks next to the D checkpoint.
I doubt that the landslide Starbucks will go anywhere. There's enough people that mill about the area during the day that they can stay busy. It is nice seeing that there is more going up in that part of the airport, it is a long and boring walk, and the gates get crowded pretty quickly. This might help pull some people that way. 5 minute walk, at most, to the end of the concourse.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:18 pm

Volaris is now bookable to GDL. Service is twice a week. Effective 3/2/17.

GDL-MKE
4:53pm-8:55pm

MKE-GDL
12:32am-5:02am

Fri/Sun Dep out of MKE

HT to the poster on skyscrapercity.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:44 am

Nice! Glad the roadblocks were overcome which held this up.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:51 pm

Alaska will launch first-ever Milwaukee-Portland nonstops this summer with E75. It is seasonal, running 6/6 through 8/26 this year.

Nice to see them finally adding this route, something rumored as "close" for awhile. There was some concern that the approval of the Virgin America acquisition would take their focus, and when I saw them announce a bunch of new E75 flying out their new San Francisco hub I wondered if that put MKE-PDX on ice. This summer PDX service is a red-eye eastbound, so maybe they found a way to still squeeze in MKE-PDX even though the new E75's are going to SFO.

On a separate topic, November passenger numbers have finally come out, and traffic was up about 3.9% November can be funny depending on if the Thanksgiving peak spills over into December or not, but I think 2015 and 2016 both fully completed the Thanksgiving peak before 12/1. So I think the YOY comparision is legit, and it's pretty similar to what we've seen much of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.