Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
While I will protest the new All-shoes-must-come-off rule until I am blue in the face, I would like to report that the TSA in MKE now has bowls of disposable, blue foot booties available to all Pax as they enter the security checkpoints.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MKEbound
While I will protest the new All-shoes-must-come-off rule until I am blue in the face, I would like to report that the TSA in MKE now has bowls of disposable, blue foot booties available to all Pax as they enter the security checkpoints.
I saw them too, but the ones at E seemed to be used

They were wrinkled, and the smell certainly indicated that they were by no means fresh...
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Killing Time and Exploring:
The Milwaukee Museum maintains a changing exhibit stand on the south wing of the main terminal.
There is a kids/baby room on the south end of the main terminal with toys and baby changing stations.
Huge flat screen monitors in the main terminal that show the location and progress of all inbound aircraft to MKE ^ Very Cool ^
How could you have possibly left out the best time killer at MKE, especially if you have kids? Not sure exactly what to call it, but it is the donation well in the main mall. You dump a coin in each slot and they chase each other down the slopes. An excellent way to get rid of your change before going through security. I think the funds go to the children's hospital IIRC.
You can see it in the foreground of this picture.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
How could you have possibly left out the best time killer at MKE, especially if you have kids? Not sure exactly what to call it, but it is the donation well in the main mall. You dump a coin in each slot and they chase each other down the slopes. An excellent way to get rid of your change before going through security. I think the funds go to the children's hospital IIRC.
You can see it in the foreground of this picture.
OP edited to add some info.

That is one dated picture!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlsrar
I saw them too, but the ones at E seemed to be used

They were wrinkled, and the smell certainly indicated that they were by no means fresh...

Hmm, I didn't see a receptacle after security where they were collecting them... I threw mine away. I check next time I'm though.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:05 pm

Train to Plane

MKE would like to sell itself as Chicagoland's additional airport. And for travelers from Lake County, it is an attractive option.

However, the connections from the train to the plane need to be improved.
Amtrak stops at Mitchell International, but the train station is not within easy walking distance to the terminal. You have to take a shuttle bus. And the only stop in Chicago's North Shore is Glenview.

METRA is comming. Currently Metra ends service from Chicagoland in Kenosha, Wisconsin. However, the extention of Metra service to Milwaukee with stops in Somers, Racine, Caledonia, and Mitchell Airport --ending in downtown Milwaukee, is extremely likely.

But the train tracks are on the OPPOSITE side of the airport from the existing terminal. Passengers again will have to take a shuttle bus from the terminal building around the landing fields to get to the proposed METRA stop, and vise versa.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Milwauke Airport has the cleanest bathrooms?

http://nycaviation.com/editorials#alfano091706

"Yep that’s right stay out of my way! When you see us coming pulling our roller behind us, the laptop bag over our arm just move aside. That’s right we’re the road warriors. We’re the folks who call our second office seat 5A. Being a road warrior is a special honor. It’s something you earn when you’ve traveled enough for work to know the cleanest bathrooms in any airport are at Milwakee International airport near the last baggage carousel. So drop the kids off and grab your flight.

A road warrior is someone who laughs at the DFW Sky Train when they arrive into C39 and have less then 20 minutes to make their connection at A2. The road warrior knows they could beat Jesse Owens when it comes to the DFW dash; they’ve done it before! Traffic backed up at LAX and you need to get to terminal 8 and you’re only at terminal 1? Forget it, we just jump out of the car and race through the parking garage and two minutes later the skycap is checking my bags while your still inhaling exhaust..."
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:30 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Originally Posted by LegalEagle
MKE would like to sell itself as Chicagoland's additional airport. And for travelers from Lake County, it is an attractive option.

However, the connections from the train to the plane need to be improved.
Amtrak stops at Mitchell International, but the train station is not within easy walking distance to the terminal. You have to take a shuttle bus. And the only stop in Chicago's North Shore is Glenview.

METRA is comming. Currently Metra ends service from Chicagoland in Kenosha, Wisconsin. However, the extention of Metra service to Milwaukee with stops in Somers, Racine, Caledonia, and Mitchell Airport --ending in downtown Milwaukee, is extremely likely.

But the train tracks are on the OPPOSITE side of the airport from the existing terminal. Passengers again will have to take a shuttle bus from the terminal building around the landing fields to get to the proposed METRA stop, and vise versa.
Any chance of a light rail from the RR station to the terminal? Have it also stop in the long term parking lots.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 7:06 am
Original Poster

I don't know how long it will last, but yesterday the TSA did have a supply of quart baggies on had for people who needed them as they passed though the checkpoint.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I don't know how long it will last, but yesterday the TSA did have a supply of quart baggies on had for people who needed then as they passed though the checkpoint.
You're probably wishing you grabbed one of those huh?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
You're probably wishing you grabbed one of those huh?
No, I was prepared and had one from home
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:28 am
Original Poster

OP has been edited as the Surface Lot has now reopened and available for parking at $10 a day.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
No, I was prepared and had one from home
yeah, so i noted... here, on fark, cnn.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Passed though D and noticed that a new bar with tables is under construction, near D-31 close to the old hole-in-the-wall bar/brat stand. Might mean an option for table service and real food options past security on the D concourse. ^
Old Nov 2, 2006, 8:33 am
Original Poster

While in Concourse D this week I was able to see more of the renovations

Gate D36 has a new wall paper border in the gate area with the Midwest Airlines logo

The new news/gift shop right after security looks almost complete as does a new, expanded bar just beyond it.

The lower level is still closed, but for some reason the barrier was moved out of the way on the far end (near the Best Care Club) and the escalators were working so I ventured down to the lower level. There is new artwork being hung on the wall close to the moving walkway and it appears the light show along the walkway will be working again. There will be new bathrooms on the lower level and it looks as if the seating area for the two new Skyway gates are almost done as well. The walls will be more of the gray concrete/stone just like the new gates on the main level. A little drab compared to the light and airy feel of Concourse C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.