Wiki Posts
Search

Meet me at ORD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Meet me at ORD

I know it's some way off yet, but next May my wife and I are flying from ORD to LAS on UA108 that departs at 4.55pm.

But her's the deal, she's flying in from LHR on UA949 that arrives at 3.20pm and I'm flying in from BOS on UA537 arriving at 3.25pm.

My wife has regularly done INT-DOM at SFO and LAX but never at ORD. Can someone advise what's the INT-DOM xfer process involve at ORD and what would be the best suggestion for meeting up in the airport other than at the gate for the LAS flight. Obviously at this point in time we hae no idea which concourse the LAS flight would be departing from.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
ORD is no difference than SFO or LAX regarding INT-DOM.

Either you can get out of the terminal (T1) after you arrive, take the airtrain that is outside security and wait for her at the arrivals hall at T5 that is where all international flights (except canada) will be arriving.

Or either wait at the entrance of one of the RCC at T1. LAS flights will likely depart at B gates. Therefore either meet at the RCC at B6 or B16 depends on where your LAS flight departs. You can check flight gates 24 hours before departure on the UA site to see where it is going to leave from unless they decide to change the gate last minute.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVG Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
For INT-DOM at ORD, one clears immigration and customs in T5, then must take the train over to T1 and get rescreened by the TSA. I have gone from arriving aircraft at T5 to airside in T1 in 40 minutes, but that was a quiet day.

I assume you were thinking of staying airside in T1, and meeting your wife after she makes it through security. One obvious landmark in ORD is the large (4-story tall) dinosaur skeleton immediately after the T1 security checkpoint, across from either gate B8 or gate B9. Maybe hang out near the skeleton after your wife's plane has arrived and she has had time to make it over to T1?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
ORD is no difference than SFO or LAX regarding INT-DOM.

Either you can get out of the terminal (T1) after you arrive, take the airtrain that is outside security and wait for her at the arrivals hall at T5 that is where all international flights (except canada) will be arriving.
not all of canada, Quebec City arrives as an INTL flight as they have no pre-clearance there.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crammer
For INT-DOM at ORD, one clears immigration and customs in T5, then must take the train over to T1 and get rescreened by the TSA. I have gone from arriving aircraft at T5 to airside in T1 in 40 minutes, but that was a quiet day.

I assume you were thinking of staying airside in T1, and meeting your wife after she makes it through security. One obvious landmark in ORD is the large (4-story tall) dinosaur skeleton immediately after the T1 security checkpoint, across from either gate B8 or gate B9. Maybe hang out near the skeleton after your wife's plane has arrived and she has had time to make it over to T1?
Thanks for the advice.

I presume it's reasonably well signed after clearing customs at T5 about re-lodging luggage for connecting flts and where to get the train to T1. My wife is not exactly what you would call a "seasoned traveller".
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by crammer
One obvious landmark in ORD is the large (4-story tall) dinosaur skeleton immediately after the T1 security checkpoint, across from either gate B8 or gate B9. Maybe hang out near the skeleton after your wife's plane has arrived and she has had time to make it over to T1?
An excellent location to meet in O'Hare's T1. Had you not suggested it, I would have. Wait, I am. It's always fun to people watch here, in addition to being close to your gate for LAS--probably.

Also, flights from YXE do not pre-clear in Canada. They go to T5 too.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Originally Posted by cssaus
Thanks for the advice.

I presume it's reasonably well signed after clearing customs at T5 about re-lodging luggage for connecting flts and where to get the train to T1. My wife is not exactly what you would call a "seasoned traveller".
I do this regularly (LHR-ORD, connect to UA domestic). Arrive T5, anywhere from 15mins to 1h45 from landing to exiting immigration & customs.

Walk off plane, through immigration straight into baggage claim area. Door out of baggage through customs leads straight through bag-recheck area (UA agents will often proactively look for through check luggage and help you).

From this point, straight ahead, up the escalator into the inter-terminal train. Off the train in T1, up escalator, over the bridge, down and straight ahead for T1 security (or bear left for premium security).

From T5 customs exit to T1 security queue is maybe 15mins.

Signposts are good throughout.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manord
I do this regularly (LHR-ORD, connect to UA domestic). Arrive T5, anywhere from 15mins to 1h45 from landing to exiting immigration & customs.

Walk off plane, through immigration straight into baggage claim area. Door out of baggage through customs leads straight through bag-recheck area (UA agents will often proactively look for through check luggage and help you).

From this point, straight ahead, up the escalator into the inter-terminal train. Off the train in T1, up escalator, over the bridge, down and straight ahead for T1 security (or bear left for premium security).

From T5 customs exit to T1 security queue is maybe 15mins.

Signposts are good throughout.
Thanks for those concise instructions, they're a great help.
Old May 7, 2010, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Just a further update on this thread.

With the current volcanic activity currently happening, there are postings that have been reporting that flts from the UK are taking up to 2 hrs extra flying time to divert around the ash cloud. If this were to happen to my wife's flight next week she would more than likely miss the connection with me to Las Vegas.

After clearing immigration at ORD & before re-checking bags for domestic flights, is there a UA desk there that can take care of re-booking flights etc? I'm trying not to alarm my wife but I want to at least tell her what she might have to do if the worse were to happen.
Old May 7, 2010, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cssaus
Just a further update on this thread.

With the current volcanic activity currently happening, there are postings that have been reporting that flts from the UK are taking up to 2 hrs extra flying time to divert around the ash cloud. If this were to happen to my wife's flight next week she would more than likely miss the connection with me to Las Vegas.

After clearing immigration at ORD & before re-checking bags for domestic flights, is there a UA desk there that can take care of re-booking flights etc? I'm trying not to alarm my wife but I want to at least tell her what she might have to do if the worse were to happen.
Yes. It's right there once you come through the doors.
Old May 7, 2010, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdesmond
Yes. It's right there once you come through the doors.
Thanks, hopefully by next Thursday things will be normal but just in case!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.