"We're holding our own..."

http://www.wisn.com/travelgetaways/19005232/detail.html
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by mke9499
Another choice quote from Brophy:

"We're holding our own..."

http://www.wisn.com/travelgetaways/19005232/detail.html
Will we ever know if they make a profit if they are a private company? It will be good if they do make a profit and TPG is able to take them to the next step in the rebuilding process.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:15 pm

Brophy says he is encouraged by the "number of advance bookings."

Well, of course he can say that. Without any solid evidence available to the public, how are we to know if that's really the case? I suppose we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Based on how optimistic he is in this interview, I don't want to hear any more gloom and doom from Midwest. Hopefully they are on track to turn a profit despite the current industry challenges. Maybe that will help them solidify their plans for the future and not turn into a DL feeder, as some on this board mistakenly believe.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Brophy says he is encouraged by the "number of advance bookings."

Well, of course he can say that. Without any solid evidence available to the public, how are we to know if that's really the case? I suppose we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Based on how optimistic he is in this interview, I don't want to hear any more gloom and doom from Midwest. Hopefully they are on track to turn a profit despite the current industry challenges. Maybe that will help them solidify their plans for the future and not turn into a DL feeder, as some on this board mistakenly believe.
Based on some reliable insiders at Midwest, advance bookings have been pretty strong. According to these sources, there were several days this month when Midwest actually set some internal records for single day bookings.

Of course, this doesn't tell us anything about the company's overall profitability. However, considering the state of the economy and the increased competition in Milwaukee this summer, I'd agree with Brophy that Midwest appears to be coping well.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
Oh come on now! Someone needs to be the pessimist and voice of reason so let it be me. Do you really think that the main spin doctor for the airline is going to have an interview and tell exactly how bad things are. The fuel bubble he mentions burst shortly before they made their cuts. Granted it reduction was in the planning stages when fuel started to get better, but maybe they should have looked at everything again before making the massive reductions they did. Everywhere else on the internet are reports on how airlines are fairing worse than after 9/11 and he says that they are holding their own. In the immortal words of Ronald Reagan "Trust, but verify". Unfortunately since they are privately held there is no verify here. He can say what he wants, but there are too many events going on that say the opposite, union issues, 717's going away, increased Air Tran competition, DL merger, etc. That is life and it is doom and gloom. There are just too many factors pointing them in the wrong direction. He can say that advance bookings are up but if they are selling all of those seats at cut rate prices, how does that help? Just because the load factors are up does not mean that the revenue per mile is also. Time will tell and we will see who was speculating the correct way. As I have said before, I have enjoyed flying on them almost from their start and wish them well, but at the same time I am a realist and can smell a line of BS a mile away. And I am smelling it now.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by MKE 1K
Oh come on now! Someone needs to be the pessimist and voice of reason so let it be me.
Along with you, Spampurse and Hazelrah. If we didn't have you guys this forum would be way boring!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
He can say what he wants, but there are too many events going on that say the opposite, union issues, 717's going away, increased Air Tran competition, DL merger, etc. That is life and it is doom and gloom. There are just too many factors pointing them in the wrong direction.
As a business owner I can take your doom and gloom senerio and turn it upside down:

1) union issues: Fewer union members mean less operating expense.
2) 717s going away: Sheading high cost leases means less operating expense. Plus they get a cash infusion from Republic.
3) increased Air Tran competition. Could be a problem, but some of it Midwest was losing money on anyway. Net gain cutting back unprofitable routes or right sizing routes. Taking the MD-80's out means less operating expense=gain. Other routes could be problematic, but we do not know yet.
4) DL merger: I fail to see how that would adversly affect Midwest since they will have codesharing.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by flyYX
Along with you, Spampurse and Hazelrah. If we didn't have you guys this forum would be way boring!
And me. Don't forget me
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
There are just too many factors pointing them in the wrong direction. He can say that advance bookings are up but if they are selling all of those seats at cut rate prices, how does that help? Just because the load factors are up does not mean that the revenue per mile is also. Time will tell and we will see who was speculating the correct way. As I have said before, I have enjoyed flying on them almost from their start and wish them well, but at the same time I am a realist and can smell a line of BS a mile away. And I am smelling it now.
Well said, I could not have put its better. Think about it, "We are holding our own," what the heck does that mean? We can make payroll? We can pay our suppliers? We have stemmed the hemmoraghing?, on the bright side, we have had strong profits? I mean, I don't know but without any specifics , it's BS.

Risk and luck are elements in business. Midwest got caught on the wrong side by the high fuel prices. It was very fortuitious that the Republic E-170s became available.

Last edited by hazelrah; Mar 25, 2009 at 10:13 am
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Keep in mind that advance bookings are like interest-free loans.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:10 am

Oh come on now! Someone needs to be the pessimist and voice of reason so let it be me. Do you really think that the main spin doctor for the airline is going to have an interview and tell exactly how bad things are.
Yes. That's what Brophy and Hoeksema did for most of last year. Everytime they opened their mouths, it was to talk about how bad things are, and that they were going to cut flights and lay off employees.

In fact, they got so good at delivering bad news that they told us over and over again, in little bits and pieces. Do you remember all of the negative news coverage, and the op-ed from Jay Sorenson in the Journal Sentinel talking about how Midwest was going to fade away and AirTran was going to become our new hometown-ish carrier?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by flyYX

Totally agree. Just don't call him hazelnut!!!! He'll get really ticked off!

Tim34, no way we could forget about you! You always know how to spark a good discussion.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Totally agree. Just don't call him hazelnut!!!! .
That's all right, I'm over you not-a-man-hoss
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mke9499
Keep in mind that advance bookings are like interest-free loans.
Unless you have to give it back because you've canceled tons of flights and aren't willing to rebook people. Then it's a good idea to have the loan sitting in the bank.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:47 pm

Do you remember all of the negative news coverage, and the op-ed from Jay Sorenson in the Journal Sentinel talking about how Midwest was going to fade away and AirTran was going to become our new hometown-ish carrier?
That still may happen. I've moved my business over to the C concourse and have found it quite enjoyable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.