Skyway reliability?

Old Jan 25, 08, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Skyway reliability?

Sort of a mute point, since Skyway is going away.

I have two trips booked on YX over the next three weeks (happy to fly YX now that you can earn elite qualifying miles/segments with NW).

I obviously have a good sense of schedule reliability of the NW flights out of STL, but have been tracking the YX (more like AL) performance to see what the track record looks like...and it isn't good.

Is Skyway known for constant delays with the 328jets? Or is it a MKE issue?

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 08, 9:10 pm

In winter the Skyway operation tends to run slugglishly when there's any sort of precip. Delays of 10-20 minutes or more are not too uncommon this time of year without any particuarly noteworthy reason. (Real snow events, of course, can mean longer delays.)

Not sure what Thursday early AM's 42 minute arrival delay was about, but the other two flights that day and all three today (Friday) were withing 10-15 minutes or so. That's pretty common for Skyway this time of year.

On the bright side Midwest usually holds for connections, so if you have, say, a 30 minute connection this kind of sluggishness shouldn't mess up your trip.
Old Jan 25, 08, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Knope. I'm looking at 30-35 min connections each time, thus my pondering (6a from STL; late PM to STL).

It is the late PM MKE-STL that I've noticed has the worst track record, but at least that flight is just the trip home, so not a big deal to be delayed at that stage of the trip. At least I can get access to the Best Care Club now with my WorldClub membership.
Old Jan 26, 08, 8:19 am
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay:Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive:National Exec, Hertz PC
I've had bad luck MKE-STL

In my limited experience on Skyway to/from STL, I've never had a flight be on time. Even before my most recent poor experience, I tend to book away from YX despite the convenience of the nonstop. The last 2 flights MKE-STL that I took had one mechanical, and the other was delayed 6+ hours due to weather. The return STL-MKE was slightly better.

Another frustration I've experienced is the lack of flight options. On my last trip, I finished my meetings early, and had to wait 4+ hours for my booked flight since there are so few flights each day. Using other carriers I could almost certainly standby for an earlier flight.

Finally their location in the E terminal is terrible. Its a long way to anywhere, and there is no wifi access at the gate. That is particularly frustrating when waiting out a delay. No idea why they are in that isolated area of E. Hope their rent is very cheap...

Last edited by BTA; Jan 26, 08 at 8:26 am
Old Jan 31, 08, 10:07 pm

For what it's worth, I've kept track of STL-MKE for the last 8 days.

21 scheduled flights, none of which were cancelled.

16 arrived within 15 minutes of schedule
2 arrived 16-30 minutes of schedule

The other three arrived MKE 42, 57, and 107 minutes late

Obviously the flight which most matters to you is the one you are taking to connect at MKE. And anecdotal information doesn't matter if your particular flight is messed up. But at least this particular 8-day stretch...during a less-than-gentle winter weather period...saw only a couple of flights with extensive delays.
Old Feb 8, 08, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Knope. Round one went well; both flights arriving within 15 minutes of schedule. Great service on the FRJ. Will see how next week goes. The main problem flight I've noticed on this route is 2444, the evening MKE-STL flight. Flightstats gives it a 0-out-of-5; 35% excessively late, 10% cancelled, only 41% ontime.

Makes you wonder if a route that appears to have one of the lowest load factors in the entire YX system, if it is a sacrificial flight. They can delay it, delay the fewest number of pax, and get another flight out on time if there is a delay somewhere in the system.

Search this Thread