Community
Wiki Posts
Search

717 DigEplayer info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:55 am
Original Poster

717 DigEplayer info

I'm on the same-plane 717 service from MKE to SAN next month (flight 404). Does anyone know if they offer the DigEplayer on that flight? Or is it only available on the MD-80s? I checked Midwest's web site and it said it's only offered on the MCI-SFO route.

You'd think they'd offer it on the LAX, SAN, and SEA flights out of MCI, but apparently that's not the case.

I'm debating whether I should bring my own DVD player if they have no IFE on this long-haul flight.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: lowly 1P
I have seen the players available for rent both ways on the MCI-TPA run. That was spring 2007.

I did just purchase my first personal portable dvd player a few weeks ago and will be flying with it for the second time later today.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: YX
Digi players are available on all 717 and MD-80 flights over 2 hours, I've flown MCI-LAX on several occasions and they were available.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nimrod
I have seen the players available for rent both ways on the MCI-TPA run. That was spring 2007.

I did just purchase my first personal portable dvd player a few weeks ago and will be flying with it for the second time later today.
Originally Posted by YX802
Digi players are available on all 717 and MD-80 flights over 2 hours, I've flown MCI-LAX on several occasions and they were available.
^ Thanks for the help! Looks like that will save me the hassle of going to Blockbuster and bringing on my own player. I require some sort of IFE on longer flights. I must be high maintenance.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:20 pm

I've been flying YX from MCI-SEA for several weeks now and there haven't been any announcements about the players. Do you have to ask for them if you want one? I'd think they'd be offering them and making announcements about them.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:53 pm

I've had the digEplayer on the 717 out of MCI as well, however the website now only lists them on M80 flights. Out of MCI, that only means SFO.

Seems like a relatively recent change (if indeed it is now just the M80) but that would explain why you have not be hearing them offered on MCI-SEA.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS,UA
Maybe it has something to do with this
Midwest Pondering Internet OnBoard
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Well, looks like it's back to bringing my own equipment, then. I like the digEplayers but maybe not enough people rent them to make it worthwhile on the 717s. Perhaps the maddogs higher seating capacity (and more potential leisure travelers who would rent them) makes it more lucrative.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: YX, DL, AA, HA, Hilton Honors
I was sad to hear that Midwest pulled the DigE out of all 717 in late December. I was even more sad when this month they announced that January 21, 2008 they would take them out of ALL flights. They are looking for additional options but as of Jan 21, there is no on board entertainment.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:33 am

Interesting. From yesterday to today the digEplayer was removed from the web site, too. I wonder what usage was like versus cost. There was a certain amount of weight penalty for having the equipment on board which translates into more fuel burn.

If I recall correctly, Alaska Air has them, so does Amtrak, Hawaiian Airlines, and some foreign carriers. Wonder if they are continuing them or not.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by free ticket
I was sad to hear that Midwest pulled the DigE out of all 717 in late December. I was even more sad when this month they announced that January 21, 2008 they would take them out of ALL flights. They are looking for additional options but as of Jan 21, there is no on board entertainment.
Where was this announcement? I might have missed it.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: YX, DL, AA, HA, Hilton Honors
I never saw an announcement but the agents in MCI told me about the 717 in mid-dec. While I was in the best care club in MKE this Tuesday the Midwest employees told me about the announcement. And then when I was on the flight that evening the flight attendant announced that they didn't have them any more.

As for a press release I have yet to see anything.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Interesting. From yesterday to today the digEplayer was removed from the web site, too. I wonder what usage was like versus cost. There was a certain amount of weight penalty for having the equipment on board which translates into more fuel burn.

If I recall correctly, Alaska Air has them, so does Amtrak, Hawaiian Airlines, and some foreign carriers. Wonder if they are continuing them or not.
I never noticed a large number of pax using the DigE. On my last flight, I think there was only one person requesting it. Most people are carrying their own IPOD or DVD player. I would guess it was not worth the trouble with so few in use. YX better come up with some ideas for IFE as they will be reconfiguring the 717 seating in the coming months.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:05 pm

website info

I never noticed a large number of pax using the DigE. On my last flight, I think there was only one person requesting it. Most people are carrying their own IPOD or DVD player. I would guess it was not worth the trouble with so few in use. YX better come up with some ideas for IFE as they will be reconfiguring the 717 seating in the coming months.
We welcome you to use your own portable entertainment device (iPods, personal computers and portable DVD players) once we reach an approved altitude. We have discontinued our digEplayer rentals as of January 21, 2008 as demand was not as high as we anticipated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.