Old Nov 20, 07, 8:16 am
Original Poster

YX pilot arrested at MSP for being drunk, carrying weapon

Here's the link:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S262046.shtml?cat=1
Old Nov 20, 07, 9:31 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000 View Post
I'm glad TSA was on the ball for this one. This pilot surely wasn't thinking and totally disregarded the safety of passengers. I hope he is able to get help.
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:13 am

Midwest says pilot wasn't drunk

Just posted on JSOnline.... Sorry, I judged too soon and didn't read Blue's posted link. I was just going on the earlier report on JSOnline.

A Midwest Airlines pilot suspected of being drunk before a scheduled flight from the Twin Cities International Airport last week had a blood-alcohol level of .016, which was below the threshold set by the airlines' policy and federal law, a Midwest spokesman reported this morning.

No charges have been filed in the case of the pilot, who reportedly was stopped by a Transportation Safety Administration official at a security checkpoint on Nov. 12, before a 3:20 flight from the Twin Cities to Milwaukee.

Michael Brophy, a Midwest spokesman, said the pilot has been removed from flight duty, pending an investigation by company officials.

Midwest policy prohibits pilots from flying with a blood-alcohol level of .02 and the federal law sets the limit at .04, Brophy said.

The pilot's attorney, Arthur Martinez, said the pilot had not consumed any alcohol within eight hours of the flight, and did not violate any of the FAA regulations.

He blamed Minneapolis television reports for badly distorting the story to suggest that his client's blood-alcohol level was over the limit set by federal law.

Martinez told the Associated Press his client had been cleared by the police and federal prosecutors had declined to prosecute. However, he said Hennepin County prosecutors may review the case.

"If anything he was a 0.01 (percent)," Martinez said of his client's blood-alcohol level. "You could be chewing some type of gum or had Listerine. Many different things contain alcohol."

For comparison, the legal limit for driving in Minnesota is a blood-alcohol level of 0.08%.

The pilot's wife, reached by phone at her suburban Milwaukee home Tuesday morning, said, "There were no laws broken. This has gotten totally blown out of proportion for some reason we don't know."

The Associated Press contributed to this report
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:16 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Maybe pilot should plead guilty . .make national press conferences .. then attempt to retract the guilty plea.

Oh .. wait a minute . that only works for foot tapping at MSP.
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Wow...I can't believe the media would ever get a story wrong

I wonder how much play this story actually got?
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:48 am

Wow...I can't believe the media would ever get a story wrong

I wonder how much play this story actually got?
I can't believe the mug shot of the pilot on WTMJ4 website. I think this pilot if completely innocent should sue the media outlets responsible for breaking this story. There has to be some accountability here.
Old Nov 20, 07, 12:25 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by flyYX View Post
I can't believe the mug shot of the pilot on WTMJ4 website. I think this pilot if completely innocent should sue the media outlets responsible for breaking this story. There has to be some accountability here.
I totally agree! After reading the headline I was expecting a guy with blurry vision trying to keep upright as he walked, not somebody who had gargled with mouthwash that morning being railroaded by some TSA jackass trying to make "The Big Catch."
Old Nov 20, 07, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He looks really angry, and I don't blame him. I'd be very angry myself if an idiot screener at the checkpoint called the cops and set into motion my false arrest. BAC of 0.012? Nothing illegal 'bout that. Just a "big-catch" seeking screener.

Notice how most outlets quickly edited the part about his .40 caliber handgun? The one he's permitted to carry as a FFDO?
Old Nov 20, 07, 1:04 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Can anyone post the link with the mug shot? I can't seem to find it anywhere, but the media might already be trying to back peddle...
Old Nov 20, 07, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MKEbound View Post
Can anyone post the link with the mug shot? I can't seem to find it anywhere, but the media might already be trying to back peddle...
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/11637621.html

Hurry, before they remove it.
Old Nov 20, 07, 1:22 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Try the WTMJ website?

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/11637621.html

In other news, the AP thinks the mouthwash brand is spelled List-O-rene (was in earlier versions of the story. Now fixed)
Old Nov 20, 07, 3:01 pm

I can't find the mug shot anymore.... They removed it.
Old Nov 20, 07, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Apparently the pilot is now allowed to fly again for Midwest.

It's interesting how this story (or lack there of) has evolved. I hope this pilot takes some action and the TSA agent in question is dealt with appropriately (although I'm not holding my breath).
Old Nov 20, 07, 3:20 pm

I can describe the mug shot for you... Remember the movie "The Shining"? This guy had the same angry type look as Jack Nicolason in the movie.
Old Nov 20, 07, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Apparently the pilot is now allowed to fly again for Midwest.

It's interesting how this story (or lack there of) has evolved. I hope this pilot takes some action and the TSA agent in question is dealt with appropriately (although I'm not holding my breath).
I hope the TSA agent is arrested, named publicly, has his mug shot in the press, and is sued by the pilot.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of that is going to happen. More likely, he'll get an award for protecting the public.

Search this Thread