YX XMAS Fares

Old Oct 31, 07, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
YX XMAS Fares

Anyone else checked fares around XMAS? I ran a fare check from DCA->RHI departing on 21 Dec. returning on 27 Dec. and I am getting fare quotes of $875.00!!! -very high IMO.
Old Oct 31, 07, 12:53 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by hazelrah View Post
Anyone else checked fares around XMAS? I ran a fare check from DCA->RHI departing on 21 Dec. returning on 27 Dec. and I am getting fare quotes of $875.00!!! -very high IMO.
That is high! Expedia gave me a price on three different airlines. NWA is 537.50, CO is 707.00 and YX is 826.00. Such a difference between airlines. I'd take NWA if I were you.
Old Oct 31, 07, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by flyYX View Post
That is high! Expedia gave me a price on three different airlines. NWA is 537.50, CO is 707.00 and YX is 826.00. Such a difference between airlines. I'd take NWA if I were you.
Interesting, I'm assuming that the CO quote is a codeshare w/NW since CO doesn't fly to little Rhinelander. Yes I was shocked to see how high YX was, I probably will book NW.
Old Oct 31, 07, 7:18 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I would drive to GRB
Old Nov 1, 07, 5:29 am
Original Poster

YX high Xmas fares

Green Bay is actually not a bad alternative. I priced tickets there and they were in the 500-600 range. Everyone in Northern Wisconsin and the U.P or having business there is used to driving long distances.

Another altenative is to fly to MKE and drive, since ticket prices from DC/BWI into MKE are so reasonable - one can only assume because of the competition from Air Tran.

I even checked flights into Iron Mountain, and they were even more outrageous, we are talking $1000-1100 range. It just
serves to illustrate how little competition there is in Northern WI and U.P. markets - now even more so with pending YX/NW/TPG acquisition.
Old Nov 1, 07, 12:09 pm

It's all about demand and what burden the market will take on peak days, I suppose.

For Washington DCA - Rhinelander, you can get as low as $262 round trip as late as 12-19 to 12-24, but that's because people want to be someplace on 12-24 and come home later. Even 12-19 to 12-28 is only $301 round trip, but that's because people who are still at their destination on Friday 12/28 probably can stay a few more days without missing more work. Other days it skyrockets quickly.

It's all about demand, and these remote places with little service see heavy spikes around the holidays as people return home. Cheap seats inventory is tightened up, and they disappear quickly. On 19-seat aircraft, it only takes a single family with a couple kids to wipe out the relatively cheap seat inventory for a particular flight.

NW launched a holiday fare sale today, so you might want to recheck prices before booking. Of course all the days around the holidays are so-called "other days to save" so you're not going to find $200 r/t, but it might be better than what you saw the other day. Not sure if YX is matching those fares or not, but Orbitz or Expedia can probably show that easily.
Old Nov 1, 07, 7:43 pm

Thanks for reminding me to book my Christmas tickets.

I checked BDL-MKE for 12/22-1/1 for my family of 3 today.

Dates I wanted: $850 dollars
Leaving one day sooner: $430
Leaving two days sooner: $210

Guess we are leaving on Thursday
Old Nov 2, 07, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKEbound View Post
Thanks for reminding me to book my Christmas tickets.

I checked BDL-MKE for 12/22-1/1 for my family of 3 today.

Dates I wanted: $850 dollars
Leaving one day sooner: $430
Leaving two days sooner: $210

Guess we are leaving on Thursday
Yes, it's that time of year, eh Some good info. on this thread; I guess it shows flexibility is important. I don't want to leave on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday though because I want to save my vacation days for Xmas.

YX fares to Northern WI still outrageous - no fare match I could see with NW- although as Knope noted just not a lot of capacity to these markets.
Old Nov 2, 07, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah View Post
Yes, it's that time of year, eh Some good info. on this thread; I guess it shows flexibility is important. I don't want to leave on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday though because I want to save my vacation days for Xmas.

YX fares to Northern WI still outrageous - no fare match I could see with NW- although as Knope noted just not a lot of capacity to these markets.

Oh, I agree. I booked with NW.

Search this Thread