Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effect of proposed merger - should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Effect of proposed merger - should I be concerned?

I'm sure that you all will laugh at me and/or point me to a million similar threads, but....I've tried to keep up on the news, and I haven't really understood what's going on, so help would be appreciated.

I've never flown Midwest before, but have booked a group of our youth on Midwest from Milwaukee to Orlando in late July, returning August 2nd. Should I be concerned about the proposed merger affecting our travel plans? I'm guessing no, since it's pretty soon, but if the answer is yes, I need to start looking at that, since there will be few seats available at the last minute on the dates we want to travel (it's a large youth conference).

Thanks for your input!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:17 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
I'm sure that you all will laugh at me and/or point me to a million similar threads, but....I've tried to keep up on the news, and I haven't really understood what's going on, so help would be appreciated.

I've never flown Midwest before, but have booked a group of our youth on Midwest from Milwaukee to Orlando in late July, returning August 2nd. Should I be concerned about the proposed merger affecting our travel plans? I'm guessing no, since it's pretty soon, but if the answer is yes, I need to start looking at that, since there will be few seats available at the last minute on the dates we want to travel (it's a large youth conference).

Thanks for your input!
I wouldn't be concerned at all. Midwest won't deal right now with AirTran. This is just a guess and I don't think anybody really knows yet, but I think if the merger happens, it will not be for another 6 - 12 months. If the merger was announced today, it will take some time, probably more than a month before Midwest gets swallowed up by AirTran and the name is gone forever in the airline industry. Have fun on your trip.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:34 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
You'll be fine.

How many kids?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: none (RIP AirTran)
Absolutely nothing will happen that quickly, even if the Midwest board concedes. Airline mergers take months just to get started and years to finish. We can only hope this one will go quicker and smoother than US Airways/America West, which has been an unmitigated disaster by all accounts.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MKEbound
You'll be fine.

How many kids?
Glad to hear it!

9 kids, three adults. We'll keep them in line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.