Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midwest increases MCI service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Midwest increases MCI service

Starting this summer, Midwest enhances its MCI schedule with the following additions:

Boston: Goes from 1x to 3x daily
Orlando: Goes from 1x to 2x daily
San Diego: Goes from 1x to 2x daily
Los Angeles: Goes from 2x to 3x daily
San Francisco: Goes from 1x to 2x daily

Here's the press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070302/cgf007.html?.v=79

Anyone want to take a guess about the new cities still to come? I have a few ideas....
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Well, let's see...

We were promised at least 6 new cities, and so far we've gotten Seattle and Duluth, right?

I'll guess a return to both New Orleans and Houston - but both served from MCI, not MKE.

MKE to Dubuque 2x daily on a 328 (MKE-BWI will switch to a 717 or an RJ...)

MKE to Detroit 3x daily on a 328

Additionally we'll see MCI-MSP 3x daily.
MCI-OMA and MCI-EWR added as well...
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
Starting this summer, Midwest enhances its MCI schedule with the following additions:

Anyone want to take a guess about the new cities still to come? I have a few ideas....
Being from KC, I like this move. Hmmm, new cities??

BlueHorseShoe, what do you think? Maybe AUS? ATL? COS? EWR? OMA?
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCI777
Being from KC, I like this move. Hmmm, new cities??

BlueHorseShoe, what do you think? Maybe AUS? ATL? COS? EWR? OMA?
I had a feeling that both you and lebowski would be happy with these additions.

As far as new cities go, I'm thinking Austin, Raleigh-Durham, and New Orleans are pretty safe bets. Jacksonville and San Jose would also be good additions. I can see Austin and Raleigh both starting this summer. New Orleans and Jacksonville would be better off starting closer to winter. San Jose could really start anytime.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:16 pm

Hmmmm...

San Jose and Raleigh would be good guesses too.^
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKEbound
Well, let's see...

We were promised at least 6 new cities, and so far we've gotten Seattle and Duluth, right?

I'll guess a return to both New Orleans and Houston - but both served from MCI, not MKE.

MKE to Dubuque 2x daily on a 328 (MKE-BWI will switch to a 717 or an RJ...)

MKE to Detroit 3x daily on a 328

Additionally we'll see MCI-MSP 3x daily.
MCI-OMA and MCI-EWR added as well...
I agree that New Orleans will be coming back. Service would probably be from MCI with the CRJs.

Houston is interesting. It really didn't do that well from MKE, but if Midwest had one-stop service via MCI, then it might be doable

Detroit is would be a no-brainer with the 328, but perhaps Midwest doesn't want to risk and retaliation from Northwest.

Omaha and Newark. I can see both additions, but perhaps Midwest doesn't want to start Newark unless they can do it with a 717???

I also believe MCI-MSP is on the horizon. In fact, I'm actually surprised Midwest hasn't started this route already.

Once more CRJs come on-line, I'd expect routes like BWI, BDL, and BNA to get additional frequencies or aircraft "up-grades."
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:23 pm

I really like the LAX from MCI to 3x daily. Right now when I need to fly to LAX from MKE I fly Northwest, but if I can connect in MCI and fly the 717 all the way, I think I'll be more likely to fly Midwest.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS,UA
I was on a flight this weekend MCI-SAT and a Skyway, Midwest Connect Pilot was sitting next too me and he was saying that they were going to start service to Portland
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by lebowski2222
I was on a flight this weekend MCI-SAT and a Skyway, Midwest Connect Pilot was sitting next too me and he was saying that they were going to start service to Portland
While that wouldn't surprise me too much, pilots are some of the last to know about such things.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:25 am
Original Poster

As someone else mentioned, pilots are very unreliable when it comes to potential new service.

However, at the annual shareholders meeting last year the CEO did state that Midwest would like to fly MKE-SEA and MKE-PDX non-stop, so it's certainly a possibility.

Midwest's CEO held a press conference in Kansas City this past Friday to announce the increased flight schedule at MCI. He stated that advance bookings for the SEA flight were very strong, so that's probably why Midwest announced the start of MKE-SEA flight so far in advance. If both routes do well, I can certainly see PDX starting.

Personally, I think we see San Jose this year (along with Austin, Raleigh, New Orleans, and Jacksonville!). Within the next couple of months, we'll know who is right.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:59 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I see a lot of mention of the same cities that Express Jet has already announced service to (they'll be flying to AUS, RDU, MSY, JAX, SDF, ONT, and TUS non-stop from MCI). I'm not saying that Express Jet is a major concern to Midwest, but it certainly makes some of these routes less attractive with another carrier already offering non-stop service several times a day (3x daily on an ERJ is going to be a lot more convenient for many travellers than 1x daily on a 717), and if they try to go against Express Jet with CRJ's ... personally I'll take an ERJ with it's 1x2 seating over an CRJ with 2x2 seating any day, and as for service, Express Jet has said they will be serving meals on their flights, something Midwest only does for a fee.

I know they've announced they're adding six new cities, but I personally prefer them beefing up service to cities they already serve where possible, that's more valuable to me than 1x daily service to new cities.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckles
I see a lot of mention of the same cities that Express Jet has already announced service to (they'll be flying to AUS, RDU, MSY, JAX, SDF, ONT, and TUS non-stop from MCI). I'm not saying that Express Jet is a major concern to Midwest, but it certainly makes some of these routes less attractive with another carrier already offering non-stop service several times a day (3x daily on an ERJ is going to be a lot more convenient for many travellers than 1x daily on a 717), and if they try to go against Express Jet with CRJ's ... personally I'll take an ERJ with it's 1x2 seating over an CRJ with 2x2 seating any day, and as for service, Express Jet has said they will be serving meals on their flights, something Midwest only does for a fee.

I know they've announced they're adding six new cities, but I personally prefer them beefing up service to cities they already serve where possible, that's more valuable to me than 1x daily service to new cities.
I don't think Express Jet is as big of a threat to Midwest as some people think.

The one route that may...stress may...pose a problem for Midwest is MCI-RDU. This was the largest market from MCI without non-stop service prior to the Express Jet announcement. This route was a no brainer for Midwest. If it was just Express Jet offering service, that would be one thing. However, now American Eagle is also starting the route too so that may give Midwest some second thoughts. However, that doesn't mean MKE-RDU won't be announced.

Midwest did serve AUS, RDU, and MSY with mainline service from MCI in the past. RDU lasted about six months or so. Southwest started service soon after Midwest and trashed the yields (the route was pulled to start IAD service). Midwest started AUS in late 2002. This was during the depths of the post 9/11 depression and was no time to be starting a route like this. Loads were so embarrising that Midwest asked the AUS airport authority not to include them on the monthly traffic figures released to the public. MSY originally ran from 2001 to 2003. Midwest brought is back in 2004 and it did pretty good until Hurricane Katrina came along. That route could probably do o.k. with the crj.

AUS, RDU, MSY, and JAX would most likely be served multiple times a day on the regional jets.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:38 pm

Has YX ever ended service before it even started. For some reason i think they will pull the OMA-LAX route, i don't really see this flight producing much, especially since it will have 0 connecting passengers

I think I saw somewhere on airliners.net that RDU will be a new destination

I am really hoping for a MCI-MSP, i won't fly NW nonstop, so I just drive the 6hours to visit old college friends
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Has YX ever ended service before it even started. For some reason i think they will pull the OMA-LAX route, i don't really see this flight producing much, especially since it will have 0 connecting passengers

I think I saw somewhere on airliners.net that RDU will be a new destination

I am really hoping for a MCI-MSP, i won't fly NW nonstop, so I just drive the 6hours to visit old college friends
The only route I can think of is MCI-EWR. That route was announced at the same time as MCI-AUS and MCI-RSW in the summer of 2002. All service was scheduled to start in November of that year. From what I was told, advance bookings on the EWR flights were so horrible that Midwest yanked the flights before they even started. For whatever reason, they kept AUS around for a few months and it performed terribly. Even MCI-RSW had rather poor results the first time Midwest tried it. Between late 2002 and the spring of 2002, Midwest axed service from MCI to BOS, IAD, ATL, RSW, MSY, OMA, and AUS.

Midwest ran OMA-LAX 2x daily from 1994 to 2001. Once again, the route was hurt financially when Southwest entered the OMA market. It skidded into the red and was cut within a month after 9/11. OMA really never worked-out that well for Midwest. Yet, it wasn't a complete disaster. That honor goes to Indianapolis. OMA-LAX is certainly big enough to support non-stop service. With one flight per day full of O&D passengers, it should do well. Time will tell.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:06 pm

The only route I can think of is MCI-EWR. That route was announced at the same time as MCI-AUS and MCI-RSW in the summer of 2002. All service was scheduled to start in November of that year. From what I was told, advance bookings on the EWR flights were so horrible that Midwest yanked the flights before they even started. For whatever reason, they kept AUS around for a few months and it performed terribly. Even MCI-RSW had rather poor results the first time Midwest tried it. Between late 2002 and the spring of 2002, Midwest axed service from MCI to BOS, IAD, ATL, RSW, MSY, OMA, and AUS.

Midwest ran OMA-LAX 2x daily from 1994 to 2001. Once again, the route was hurt financially when Southwest entered the OMA market. It skidded into the red and was cut within a month after 9/11. OMA really never worked-out that well for Midwest. Yet, it wasn't a complete disaster. That honor goes to Indianapolis. OMA-LAX is certainly big enough to support non-stop service. With one flight per day full of O&D passengers, it should do well. Time will tell.
Thanks for the Info Blue - I can't believe YX cut so much service back in 2002from MCI, they must have been hurting badly and luckily they have regained 2nd place marketshare at MCI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.