More flexibility due to weather needed

Old Mar 2, 07, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
More flexibility due to weather needed

When it became clear yesterday that my destination in Northern Wisconsin was going to be snowed in, I called the Midwest airlines 800 number to request a rebooking. The Midwest agent was unfailingly polite, however I had to do a bit of pleading to get her to make the change. Basically, I had to read the National Weather Service report to her, TRUE

Checked last night and the flight that I was on was canceled, which meant that had I started out I would have been stranded in MKE at my expense.

Midwest needs to be more proactive and implement a Winter Weather waiver early in the planning process (a la Northwest). Customer's should not have to call and have requests for rebooking bucked up the chain.

Ultimately, I worked it out, but only because I was persistent.
Old Mar 2, 07, 8:16 am

Programs: HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, Delta - Silver Med.
You're right. My flight which is 12 hours from now is already marked as delayed. But I have a strong feeling it will be canceled. They need to be proactive and rebook or at least notify their customers.

With all the problems I've had with Midwest last weekend and this week I'm planning on moving my business to NWA, direct flight or not.
Old Mar 2, 07, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Weather waiver

We're in violent agreement. I think Northwest really hit on something, offer your customers the choice, and if they want to take the risk, its their choice. Also, it was truly ridiculous in my case, blizzard conditions were prevailing and they did not cancel the flight until an hour or so before.

IMO Midwest should have set-up a weather waiver for customers in Michigan, Northern Wisconsin, and Minnesota. I've flown way too much and gotten stuck way too many time in non-home airports at my expense. I had some flexibility in my plans so why not make a change?
Old Mar 2, 07, 9:09 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I was on Northwest yesterday, heading to Wisconsin.

Their weather waiver is nice, but since they will only rebook you in advance to another one of THEIR flights, it doesn't do much good. When my flights were delayed yesterday YX had open seats, but NW wouldn't move me to another airline.

Weather sucks for everyone, both Pax and the airline and their employees.
Old Mar 2, 07, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Customer service

[QUOTE=MKEbound;7325689 When my flights were delayed yesterday YX had open seats, but NW wouldn't move me to another airline.

Weather sucks for everyone, both Pax and the airline and their employees.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how long your delay was, but is any airline willing to endorse a ticket over to another airline when they have a later flight?

BTW, the very nice Midwest agent indicated that as a result of last weeks cancelations they had pax stuck in Las Vegas and Fort Lauderdale for three to four days.

Evidently Midwest was not willing to endorse its tickets over to other airlines either.

I totally agree with you, weather issues suck for pax and airlines both, and certainly I don't hold the opinion that Midwest or any other airline is responsible for the weather. As a customer I can hold them responsible for not making the tough decision that a business should be making, with consideration for providing customer service.
Old Mar 2, 07, 9:49 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I won't disagree. I ran into an issue with a wx cancellation - I wanted to drop the outbound flight but not lose the return. It took 20 minutes to get a conditional OK (in the end, I waited it out for unrelated reasons).
Old Mar 2, 07, 10:42 am

Programs: AS,UA
You're right. My flight which is 12 hours from now is already marked as delayed. But I have a strong feeling it will be canceled. They need to be proactive and rebook or at least notify their customers.

With all the problems I've had with Midwest last weekend and this week I'm planning on moving my business to NWA, direct flight or not.

I have had problems with AA on Cancelled flights and not being flexible either, all carriers have problems with it
Old Mar 2, 07, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lebowski2222 View Post
I have had problems with AA on Cancelled flights and not being flexible either, all carriers have problems with it
The main point I was trying to make was isn't NW's flexible weather policy a great thing, and that YX should be more proactive and do something simliar to its destinations that are experiencing, well, for instance blizzards.
Old Mar 2, 07, 4:47 pm

I agree as well. For example, I recently encountered YX's lack of flexibility with a canceled flight. It was the last flight out and I asked about options for the next day. She told me that the only flight she could book me on was a flight at 6:30 AM. When I asked about later flights, she said that they are only allowed to place passengers on the next available flight. After I told her that there was no way I would make a 6:30 AM flight even if she entered it that way, she put me on hold for a while to get supervisor approval.
Old Mar 5, 07, 7:25 am

Programs: Midwest Miles Executive, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Great weather rebooking experience

I was scheduled to fly MKE-EWR on Sun, 2/25, the day of the much anticipated blizzard. I called the Executive line the day before to see if they had cancelled anything in advance and she said "No, but we're asking people to rebook now and not charging a rebooking fee (which evidently they do if you were to rebook before your flight was canceled) in order to make Sunday not as painful for them." So I did... and the snow never came and my never on-time flight to EWR landed 10 minutes early while I was sitting in my living room waiting another day to fly.
Old Mar 6, 07, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

The luck (unluck of the draw)

Originally Posted by broolio View Post
I was scheduled to fly MKE-EWR on Sun, 2/25, the day of the much anticipated blizzard. I called the Executive line the day before to see if they had cancelled anything in advance and she said "No, but we're asking people to rebook now and not charging a rebooking fee (which evidently they do if you were to rebook before your flight was canceled) in order to make Sunday not as painful for them." So I did... and the snow never came and my never on-time flight to EWR landed 10 minutes early while I was sitting in my living room waiting another day to fly.
FYI- Your experience is in line with what I had heard. The last weekend in February, Midwest canceled a bunch of flights, many of which did not need to be canceled, and they stranded a bunch of people as well.

However, during this last weather event this past Thursday and Friday, 1&2 Mar., when they should have been canceling flights promptly, they weren't, and not only that, a rebook required a management consultation. Operations were a mess from what I heard.

Clearly, as a result of getting so badly burned the last weekend of February, all of the sudden they went into unreasonable mode.

Look, nobody controls the weather. What Midwest and all the airlines need to do is implement a flexible weather waiver, that allows you, the customer to make your own decision. They should try to sustain their ops. as best as possible, Cancel flights when needed, and give PROMPT notification to flyers and PROMPT posting to the website.

Search this Thread