Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by mlsrar
How popular was the cell-phone lot anyway?

Addressing the master plan, some of those terminal placements seem rather odd. The only logical one I saw was to eliminate the long-term surface lot, but then it seems that they would have to relocate the GA/exec stands...but to where? Where SigAv is located?
I was surprised to see options that called for a second non-attached terminal. In my experience airports with that layout are not customer friendly and just don't flow well. If anything MKE should extend the main terminal to make even a larger mall type area for shops and restaurants, then add another concourse where the surface lot is or just add gates by extending the E concourse.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MKEbound
I was surprised to see options that called for a second non-attached terminal. In my experience airports with that layout are not customer friendly and just don't flow well. If anything MKE should extend the main terminal to make even a larger mall type area for shops and restaurants, then add another concourse where the surface lot is or just add gates by extending the E concourse.
A detached terminal in my mind always speaks as a boneyard for LCCs and charter carriers; it would not be logical in MKE.

Thinking about where the starbucks is at the entrance to E, I could see extending that mall area out towards the GA hangar space, connecting the additional terminal.

Honestly, does MKE really need the additional space? Once the C-hammerhead is complete, I think they will have sufficient gate space.

I would rather they move forward with the runway extensions on 19L, or the C1 proposal. C1 seems to suit prevailing winds more, but could mean longer taxi times.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 8:47 am
Original Poster

I think they are hoping to attract a LCC to MKE to create a Midwest hub; kind of like what Southwest has done at Midway. Perhaps lure Jetblue to call MKE their "Chicago" base.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Last night after flying in and while retrieving my car from the third story of the parking structure, I saw a motorcycle start up and drive away, that guy was throwing money away!

If you drive a motorcycle to the airport MKE offers FREE parking on the lowest level of the parking garage. Not only is it free, but the spots are closer to the terminal than even the closest handicapped spot.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:54 pm

Last night after flying in and while retrieving my car from the third story of the parking structure, I saw a motorcycle start up and drive away, that guy was throwing money away!

If you drive a motorcycle to the airport MKE offers FREE parking on the lowest level of the parking garage. Not only is it free, but the spots are closer to the terminal than even the closest handicapped spot.
When I came back from MIA yesterday, there was a beautiful Goldwing parked next to me on the 3rd level as well.

My only thought is that they would rather have some elemental protection. The motorcycle parking is rather visible...
Old Jul 18, 2006, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Wolfgang Puck Gourmet Express coming to D

I saw that Wolfgang Puck Gourmet Express is going to open near D52 sometime soon. Has anyone heard if a sit-down location will be part of the improvements to D, so will it just be a small kiosk type outlet?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:24 am

I saw that Wolfgang Puck Gourmet Express is going to open near D52 sometime soon. Has anyone heard if a sit-down location will be part of the improvements to D, so will it just be a small kiosk type outlet?
What, no Maui Tacos

This will be a welcome replacement to the tired bagel sandwiches, and offer a viable alternative to the saver-BOB offerings.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Flew out of C this morning, and walked down to where the hammerhead will be, progress continues as a bunch of the building shell is up.

The improvements to the C concourse really look nice. I really appreciate the abundance of windows, great lighting and the polished stone floor with the inlaid artwork. The mosaic floor art is almost complete, 11 of the 12 circles are now finished. Next time you are in C I urge you to walk all the way to the end as two of my favorites are near the end - featuring church steeples of the Milwaukee skyline.

I do have one complaint about the new concourse, and it's a big one. It was dirty. I was there at 5:15am and the carpet obviously wasn't vacuumed last night, in fact it looks as if it could have been several days. There are seats full of crumbs and I had to search to find a clean seat, and the beautiful polished floor is full of scuffs. I've only flown out of C 3 or 4 times this year, but I've felt it was dirty each time.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Wolfgang Puck's Express has opened on D

Between the USAir gates and Skyway at D52, only cold items including fruit cups, salads and sandwiches plus drinks.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:44 am
Original Poster

It is with heavy heart that I have updated the OP to reflect that MKE is now a full fledged shoe carnival airport. Today, I wasn't even allowed to pass though with my shoes on and take a swab.

A sad, sad day. The terrorists continue to win without even doing anything.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:59 pm

It is with heavy heart that I have updated the OP to reflect that MKE is now a full fledged shoe carnival airport. Today, I wasn't even allowed to pass though with my shoes on and take a swab.
Just FYI, every airport is now like that. Shoes must be x-rayed.

From the TSA website:

We also now require all passengers to remove their shoes so they may be x-rayed with their carry-on bags.
See: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rocedures.shtm
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:31 pm

Taxi fare MKE to Hyatt Regency?

Could anyone tell me approx how much the cab fare would be from MKE to the Hyatt Regency? I am thinking since we are two travelers it might be more convienent to just grab a taxi when we get there rather than reserving a shuttle ride. Are the taxi stands just outside the bag claim?

Short
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

10.2 miles from MKE to the Downtown Hyatt. Cabs in MKE run about $1.60 a mile, so with surcharges and the flat fare for the first 1/10 of a mile, I would guess that $25 should cover the trip including tip.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:39 pm

10.2 miles from MKE to the Downtown Hyatt. Cabs in MKE run about $1.60 a mile, so with surcharges and the flat fare for the first 1/10 of a mile, I would guess that $25 should cover the trip including tip.
Thanks, that sound about the same for 2 as a shuttle with tip. I think I'll go with a cab as it should be quicker.

Short
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
For individual traveller, the Airport Express is a good option. They are very punctual. The drivers are local and know the city very well.
The cost of the shuttle is $23 w/o tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.