Wiki Posts
Search

AirTran catches Midwest in March...or maybe not

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by flyYX
MEM and DTW
Rumor has it on airliners.net it is SRQ (Sarasota, FL) and MSY. Not exciting at all to me if it is true.
Old May 17, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by flyYX
Rumor has it on airliners.net it is SRQ (Sarasota, FL) and MSY. Not exciting at all to me if it is true.
I just checked the Airtran website MSY is loaded. This is great news for you Milwaukee people. New Orleans is a amazing city

I did not check the Florida destination as I am not a Florida fan
Old May 17, 2010, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tim34
I just checked the Airtran website MSY is loaded. This is great news for you Milwaukee people. New Orleans is a amazing city

I did not check the Florida destination as I am not a Florida fan
Don't get me wrong... MSY is good for MKE but I was hoping FL went after some DL Routes. That would be exciting. I was hoping F9/YX would do MKE - MSY someday and maybe they will.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knope2001
So I looked at the numbers, and I think that AirTran is reporting Skywest as part of their own numbers, and then also Skywest is reporting them separately. A few different things support this.
I received the following message in an e-mail today from MKE:

Thanks for your email. You are correct. We were able to confirm yesterday with Mr. Jim Graber, AirTran’s Station Manager, that AirTran had been inadvertently folding in Skywest’s numbers with their activity. This occurred even though, back in December when Skywest began service for AirTran, we met with both airlines to confirm that each carrier would be reporting separately. Fortunately we were able to catch this before the April stats went public and these will be adjusted. Unfortunately, I will have to go back to December of last year and revise all of my reports to reflect this change. I will do this as soon as possible and the revised reports will container a disclaimer that AirTran’s numbers have been revised.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:35 am

Nice work, knope. Hopefully this is the last time this situation will occur. So, this will push down AirTran's market share a bit, although they still may catch Midwest eventually.

We'll see if the media picks up on this and udpate the market share stats.

Hoss

P.S. I like the phrase "container a disclaimer." Has a nice ring to it.

Last edited by newsmanhoss; Jun 4, 2010 at 10:03 am
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
So, this will push down AirTran's market share a bit, although they still may catch Midwest eventually.
Definitely might still happen down the road, but it just didn't seem to make sense that they had already caught them in March.

One of the reasons I went to such great lengths and verbosity (okay, sometimes I can't friggin' help the verbosity) was that I didn't want it to just be dismissed as of course the Midwest guy can't accept that AirTran has caught them in MKE and damage whatever level of credibility I have. (Okay, I know some people probably thought that anyway!) But if they do ultimately legitimately catch and pass YX/F9 at some point, then they do. The world won't end, and it will be quite an achievement on their part. I'm sure we'll have stuff to talk about if/when the day comes.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by knope2001
Definitely might still happen down the road, but it just didn't seem to make sense that they had already caught them in March.

One of the reasons I went to such great lengths and verbosity (okay, sometimes I can't friggin' help the verbosity) was that I didn't want it to just be dismissed as of course the Midwest guy can't accept that AirTran has caught them in MKE and damage whatever level of credibility I have. (Okay, I know some people probably thought that anyway!) But if they do ultimately legitimately catch and pass YX/F9 at some point, then they do. The world won't end, and it will be quite an achievement on their part. I'm sure we'll have stuff to talk about if/when the day comes.
I look at it this way. It is better to have accurate numbers and then thump your chest that you are the #1 carrier at MKE. I don't see your analysis and wanting accurate counts as going after AirTran and keeping them at bay as #2. AirTran probably will surpass Frontier at MKE sometime in the near future. Good for them if that is their goal. Frontier has already said they are going after profit and not market share. I love how Frontier is thinking outside the box when it comes to new routes. I can't wait to hear where they will try to go next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.