low-cost carriers and trans-atlantic flights

Old May 11, 10, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
low-cost carriers and trans-atlantic flights

I just recently found out that Sun Country Airlines will be flying to London from MSP on a 737-800 with a fuel stop in Newfoundland. Is this a method that we may see other low cost carriers such as Airtran and Frontier use to compete with legacy carriers on routes which they previously would not compete?
Old May 11, 10, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Tim34 View Post
I just recently found out that Sun Country Airlines will be flying to London from MSP on a 737-800 with a fuel stop in Newfoundland. Is this a method that we may see other low cost carriers such as Airtran and Frontier use to compete with legacy carriers on routes which they previously would not compete?
Doubtful.

I believe the Sun Country flights are being sold in conjunction with a tour package company and only operate once per week during the peak summer months only. Plus, the flights are going to less desirable STN airport, which is a 45 minute train ride from central London.

Bedford recently said that Republic has no plans to operate trans-oceanic flights anytime soon. Their goal is to send that business to a codeshare/alliance partner.
Old May 11, 10, 10:46 am

I also heard that they are doing these flights to obtain some sort of certification like ?ATOPs?.
Old May 11, 10, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Let's hope that CO doesn't take too much notice of this or there'll be a ERJ doing that same route!
Old May 12, 10, 7:47 am

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MostlyAir View Post
I also heard that they are doing these flights to obtain some sort of certification like ?ATOPs?.
Its ETOPS - Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards
Old May 12, 10, 9:15 am

Programs: UA
Transatlantic flights are just not worth it (yet ?) for the low cost carriers. Too many expenses involved and they can't run a single fleet of planes anymore. I am sure if it would make financial sense then Ryan Air would have done it already.
Old May 12, 10, 10:27 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
As this topic is unrelated to Midwest Miles please follow the discussion in Travel Buzz!.

--------
essxjay
Midwest Miles moderator

Search this Thread