FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest Airlines Midwest Miles (Pre-Alignment) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-airlines-midwest-miles-pre-alignment-496/)
-   -   Gift Certificates (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-airlines-midwest-miles-pre-alignment/1054034-gift-certificates.html)

Wisconsin Feb 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Gift Certificates

Knowing how much I enjoy flying YX my family occasionally gives me YX gift certificates (birthdays, Christmas, etc.). The gift certificates come in a dark Midwest-blue folder sealed with an embossed YX-logo seal and a nice letter welcoming me aboard. It's a nice looking gift. I have 3 suggestions:
1. The gift certificate itself is just a ticket with dozens of numbers I can't figure out. Could it be cleaned up so it looks as nice as the folder it comes in?
2. It would be nice to be able to redeem them on the website. Currently you must make a reservation, "hold" it, call the 800 number, mail the cerificate in (certified and registered--extra $$) and wait a week or so until you are mailed a reciept. Seems like you should be able to do it on-line. Or you can drive down to the airport and redeem it at the ticket counter in person.
3. I was surprised to find out there is a $10 "shipping and handling fee" for each certificate. Really? If I want to give someone a $25 YX gift certificate it will cost me $35?! In the retail world I believe the stores make out on people who never redeem gift cards and certificates.
Do other airlines have these policies or even offer gift certificates? This is probably such a small part of the business, but still, it would be nice if these issues were addressed.

bpz Feb 22, 2010 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Wisconsin (Post 13425492)
Knowing how much I enjoy flying YX my family occasionally gives me YX gift certificates (birthdays, Christmas, etc.). The gift certificates come in a dark Midwest-blue folder sealed with an embossed YX-logo seal and a nice letter welcoming me aboard. It's a nice looking gift. I have 3 suggestions:
1. The gift certificate itself is just a ticket with dozens of numbers I can't figure out. Could it be cleaned up so it looks as nice as the folder it comes in?
2. It would be nice to be able to redeem them on the website. Currently you must make a reservation, "hold" it, call the 800 number, mail the cerificate in (certified and registered--extra $$) and wait a week or so until you are mailed a reciept. Seems like you should be able to do it on-line. Or you can drive down to the airport and redeem it at the ticket counter in person.
3. I was surprised to find out there is a $10 "shipping and handling fee" for each certificate. Really? If I want to give someone a $25 YX gift certificate it will cost me $35?! In the retail world I believe the stores make out on people who never redeem gift cards and certificates.
Do other airlines have these policies or even offer gift certificates? This is probably such a small part of the business, but still, it would be nice if these issues were addressed.

Very good points! I will make sure these are addressed and will address #1 personally. Thanks for the wonderful feedback!