Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Midwest Airlines Midwest Miles (Pre-Alignment)
Reload this Page >

Would Republic ever think about switching to a modified flying paradigm?

Old Feb 19, 10, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS,UA

A post on airliners.net got me thinking, with all the competition heating up in Denver and Milwaukee, yields have to be really tiny right now. What about Republic switching to some kind of modified hub and spoke/point to point model.
Currently the OKC-MCO and OMA-MCO routes are doing fairly decent but what about throwing in other routes, for example, take the 4:00 pm flight from MKE-BOS, you could make a stop in Flint or Grand Rapids without actually losing much time, it could be a more potential way to make more money. For Bos-MKE, the 11:00 am flight you could run BOS-Flint or Grand Rapid-MKE.

Neither GRR or Flint has service to Boston, and Flint does not have service to LGA

I really think the hub and spoke model is flawed, and more point to point flying needs to be done. Point to Point flying was really going to start taking off before gas prices skyrocketed (As stated by travel experts), i think Republic has the resources to do this kind of flying, it will just take planning.

Currently flint or grand rapids doesn't have service to Boston, i'm pretty sure you can pick up 20-30 passengers each day on these routes and fly full planes and with improving yields. Midwest may have tried these routes in the past but that was years ago before the internet dominated the Travel Industry and flights were more expensive, i think truely think these types of routes work in this day and age if advertised to the general public.

I think airlines need to think outside the box and start these kind of routes to survive this battle.

Some other potential point to points i see working right away with not a lot competition
Dayton-Boston, FLL,RSW,TPA
DSM-FLL,RSW,MCO,LAS

I think it's something Republic needs to consider, some of the most profitable airlines in the industry are Allegiant, AirTran and Southwest and they fly these unorthodox kind of flights.

Search this Thread